PDA

View Full Version : Heatwrapping Headers

NogZ
10-03-2006, 02:20 PM
http://www.centuryperformance.com/heatwraps.asp

I must say I agree with what the guy says. From their testing/experiences, it looks like this only likely to happen on high output engines that have to run for an extended period of time, but nonetheless an interesting fact to know ;)

What do you guys/girls reckon?

EG5
10-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Heat wrapping header its a waste of time IMO , HPC coating is the way to go.

Limbo
10-03-2006, 03:35 PM
I've wrapped every header i've had and no problems yet.
It generally only cracks on high end turbo or larger capacity engines i.e v8s.

If you can afford it you get them ceramic coated for about $300 per set of header depending on size and stuff. The ceramic almost never crack, but i have seen a cracked one also. Anything will crack over time & when more heat is put on them. Just depends on how long. Last car had wrapped headers for over 4yrs and nothing wrong with the headers except the wrap flakes abit.

Just a note always spray the headers with exhaust paint before wrapping to stop water from rusting the extractors. If you do this they last for ages

Slow96GSR
10-03-2006, 03:40 PM
With dyno results in they don't help enough to compensate for time and cost, then there’s rust build up and cracking. You're better off getting your headers coated; we have 100% better results with that. When I coated just the head and the block the temp in the engine bay and the coolant dropped about 25%. Cost was about 300 bucks. 25% cooler for 300 bucks is awesome! That's USD for those who don't see I'm in the U.S.A.!!

Slow96GSR
10-03-2006, 07:09 PM
I make no money off this, also it's not powder coating, it's more like ceramic. Look at the Calico link in the sig...

RMN15N
13-03-2006, 05:48 PM
My mate heatwrapped his headers, they were ok for a while den one week it started to crack.
I reckonz HPC coating is the way to go, cost more but effective.
:thumbsup:

spanks
16-03-2006, 08:41 PM
My headers have been coated for almost 3 years and not had a problem with them..headers that i have had in the past have all been wrapped and no probs...only drama is when it scrapes off if your car is too low..oops

BRU51N
18-03-2006, 04:27 AM
wrapping them wouldnt be considered bang for bucks imo, of course keeping the heat in would increase the air flow, however, for the money? nah....

u can spend that money on other things...

hpc would be another option.. read up alot of good feedback from it.. but in my opinion i still dont think its worth the time/money..

invest it towards something else thats more neat i reckon.
thats my 2cents

Steer^Gimic
18-03-2006, 08:22 AM
headers or exhaust on a n/a car dont generate enough heat for them to cause cracking, so it shouldnt happen at all. but hpc is much better.