PDA

View Full Version : N00b section

Weq
10-03-2006, 04:45 PM
There needs to be a n00b section on ozhonda. THe aim is to collect all the n00b questions that cover every model and put them into a single forum. THis technique has been used on a few other forums i visit and greatly reduce flame wars/bad advice.

examples would be, what mods, what body kit, how powerful and all that shit. The other forums become less cluttered, and once the person narrows down there question they can produce a productive post in the model specific/technical forums.

wynode
10-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Ohh as suggestion by Weq :p

So should this noob section cover ALL models? Also when does a thread belong in the noob section as opposed to the model specific section?

Weq
10-03-2006, 04:58 PM
A n00b section covers all models. Mostly noob questions are generalisations and not specific to a type of honda. For example most what basic mods can be done. Most people know what kinda tyres u can run and all that shit.

It keeps the clutter out of the model specific/technical forums and stops double posting of ideas in them. U can also keep a heep of stickies in the forum to various questions. THis was new people feel welcome and the oldies dont get anonyed with change and crappy n00b questions - BUT they can reply when they want too. thats the beauty. Stops people snapping at other peoples posts and idea's when the questions are valid for a person new to the scene/topic area.

for example, i dont want to keep repeating to n00bs what an intake does, or how much a TB will effect there engine. But once the question is answered in the n00b forum we have found n00bs will start to help EACHOTHER. its crazy really. And then the experienced people can come in and add a few finer points.

then once the person gets a general idea on the subject they can ask a more precise question in the specific forums if needs be.

topics arnt restricted to technical or the such either. washing, painting, ricing can all be covered.

bennjamin
10-03-2006, 05:15 PM
the same principles apply to all hondas - so as a general "noob sticky" its a ok idea for every technical/car forum methinks.

h22a accord
10-03-2006, 05:22 PM
sounds complicated man.

wynode
10-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Sounds interesting. If we have just one forum for noobs....what do we do about the various models.......turbo/non-turbo etc. Do they all go in the one forum?

Weq
10-03-2006, 05:32 PM
yes. various models/topics dont matter IMO. Noob questions are noob questions. No one will miss them from the speific forums. IF a noob topic turns into something worthy, it can be moved to a specific section.

bennjamin
10-03-2006, 05:33 PM
IF there is a forum jsut for noobs - its a general question place. Like " look in here for all sussy / handling chit chat" or " check here about engines and how they work etc ! ". It shoudl be a single forum viewable for not spam , but silly simple questions. MAybe a way to implement newcomers to view it until they feel confident enough to venture into the real OH world ?

BTW this has been talked about before a few times

Weq
10-03-2006, 05:39 PM
the same principles apply to all hondas - so as a general "noob sticky" its a ok idea for every technical/car forum methinks.

NONONONONO

A noob doesnt want to read stickies. A noob wants to ask a question because unless the sticky has there scienrio WORD for WORD, they will think there question ahsnt been answered. We cant rely on people to search, because it doesnt work.

Listen i really dont care either way. If u decide not to listen to my advice, so be it. One scroll through all the forums will show how degraded ozhonda has gotten over the past 6-12 months. Nothing worthwhile or new is posted in any section at all. For all i care, u can rename every forum to n00b questions and have a single forum chat about interesting topics. Id say im one of the most active posters when it comes to helping people realise idea's and problems. My will to help is decreasing by the day........ without some kind of monumental change, i dont see the situation changing.

bennjamin
10-03-2006, 05:40 PM
weqie i mean a "general forum" - like the lounge for people to talk about whatever they inquire :)
Not "Stickes" - as its proven NO ONE reads them lol.

Weq
10-03-2006, 05:41 PM
IF there is a forum jsut for noobs - its a general question place. Like " look in here for all sussy / handling chit chat" or " check here about engines and how they work etc ! ". It shoudl be a single forum viewable for not spam , but silly simple questions. MAybe a way to implement newcomers to view it until they feel confident enough to venture into the real OH world ?

BTW this has been talked about before a few times

WHat is the REAL ozhonda world ben? Chatting in the lounge about sex love and rocknroll. Or buying and selling parts, making money of members.... not really inspiring is it?

Weq
10-03-2006, 05:43 PM
weqie i mean a "general forum" - like the lounge for people to talk about whatever they inquire :)
Not "Stickes" - as its proven NO ONE reads them lol.

yes this general forum is what i am describing... a n00b section. someone can be a member of ozhionda for 10 years and still be a n00b in some area's. maybe i should call it honda-enthusist related chit chat? but nothing regarding current events and news.

bennjamin
10-03-2006, 05:48 PM
keep it as "Beginner talk " or something similar...as described a place to ask general questions and if anythign gets indepth technical or useful then add it to the proper designated forum.

BTW "real ozhonda world" = normal car/technical forums...which if this is implemented , they will be housing only proper chit chat and discussion :)

Weq
10-03-2006, 05:49 PM
keep it as "Beginner talk " or something similar...as described a place to ask general questions and if anythign gets indepth technical or useful then add it to the proper designated forum.

BTW "real ozhonda world" = normal car/technical forums...which if this is implemented , they will be housing only proper chit chat and discussion :)

i get emotional sometimes. sorry.

wynode
10-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Here's the example Weq gave me:

http://www.turbod16.com/

See the first forum?

bennjamin
10-03-2006, 11:43 PM
sounds great. Instead of locking up or deleting just move it to the n00b forum.

run with it .

EK9
11-03-2006, 02:18 AM
Weq makes a valid point... and i believe this is because Ozhonda has come to a stage where it as "matured". Wot i mean is that during the first yr or 2, every question, every thread was pretty much new... whether it was a total noob question or something brand new and very technical. But now that it's been around for a while, almost everything has been covered and alot of it repeats itself, simply because new members arrive, while old threads live in our archives. Eventually, a forum becomes a library :p

Anyway, this seems to be a natural progression... look at other big forums, ala Honda-tech. Every thread now says "search noob, been covered". Pretty harsh for the newbies, but for ppl who've been around forever, it does get frustrating.

Weq, i can understand wot u mean... but then don't think Ozhonda is degrading, just the flow of new and quality stuff isn't happening at such a fast pace as it used to.

Anyway, that's my objective view, lol :D And a noobie corner where we can redirect alot of stuff sounds good. Yeah, stickies just don't get read :p

Weq
11-03-2006, 01:25 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39015

another post today. all should be int he noob section.

EuroAccord13
11-03-2006, 01:29 PM
I agree with weq, we need a "Noobie Section".... Worthy noobie questions can be moved to the specific forums while questions like

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39015

can go in the "Noobie Section"

LVNIT
11-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Similar thing going on at Rexnet too

http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=45

wynode
11-03-2006, 08:17 PM
I was thinking of putting the intro section and noob forum up the top too :)

Weq
11-03-2006, 08:35 PM
I was thinking of putting the intro section and noob forum up the top too :)

definatly the noob/general/bengineer section should be uptop.

i would also like to see the DIY section promoted also :)

wynode
11-03-2006, 08:51 PM
i would also like to see the DIY section promoted also :)

Promoted in what way?

Dxs
12-03-2006, 02:01 PM
noob section would be good.. OCAU style..

get a worklog/project forum too!

and..
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32851

lol

Weq
13-03-2006, 04:28 PM
bumpity. dont let this die, its ****eing anouying!!

jimmeh
13-03-2006, 06:24 PM
yes lets hook this up.
i really have to stop myself from flaming ppl that are asking the same shit every second week.
common wyn make it happen

wynode
13-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Be patient guys.....just sorting out some housekeeping matters first. But the mods HAVE agreed to this noob forum :)

joyride
14-03-2006, 12:20 PM
good, no theres a section where i can flame all noobs.

jk.

i think this is also a good idea esp what weq said about "Noob questions are noob questions. No one will miss them from the speific forums. "

justrunit
14-03-2006, 12:57 PM
I think I speak for all n00bs when I say "THIS IS GREAT! Now we have a place where we can ask all n00bie questions and not get flamed! We will not be look down and pushed around anymore! This new n00b forum will give us the freedom we deserve to ask n00b questions!"
CHEERS!!!
I can't wait to ask all the questions I been holding back.

Weq
14-03-2006, 04:00 PM
I think I speak for all n00bs when I say "THIS IS GREAT! Now we have a place where we can ask all n00bie questions and not get flamed! We will not be look down and pushed around anymore! This new n00b forum will give us the freedom we deserve to ask n00b questions!"
CHEERS!!!
I can't wait to ask all the questions I been holding back.

aahhaahha :)

*makes choking noise*

justrunit
14-03-2006, 05:18 PM
I am serious dude. I hardly know anything.
Gear box? Whats that?
LOL

LVNIT
15-03-2006, 11:14 AM
It will work fine having a noob part of the forum up, but if the noobs dont use it, then what?

Or are you going to place a restriction on posting in other parts of the forum for a while?

Zdster
15-03-2006, 11:23 AM
It will work fine having a noob part of the forum up, but if the noobs dont use it, then what?

Or are you going to place a restriction on posting in other parts of the forum for a while?

You can always just move threads into that section of the forum.

I like the idea as it gives people a good place to start :thumbsup:.

type one
15-03-2006, 05:35 PM
if there is a noob section, who is going to post in all the other model specific and technical sections?? i think we are getting in front of ourselves a bit here...

panda[cRx]
16-03-2006, 07:06 PM
i have a plan to solve our noob problem and get ozhonda up to par

we simply close the forum to all new members, then we ban 20 members per day so in about a year we'll have the top 1500 or so members left and we've sifted out all the crap :)

wynode
16-03-2006, 11:19 PM
']
we simply close the forum to all new members...

Well i've done that just now. But will open it up again next week once the 'noob' forum is setup :)

Which should be done this weekend!

joyride
17-03-2006, 11:16 AM
good stuff. too bad this one slipped through the cracks!

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40018

wynode
19-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Ok done. As we come across threads we'll move them into the noob forum and setup a sticky ETC.

Also post back here on ways to improve that forum. Thanks for the feedback guys.....now lets get this thing going :D

Zdster
19-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Might be worth moving Wyn:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39900

?

Weq
19-03-2006, 02:30 PM
let me move the threads to the noob forum wyn :)

Nuttz
19-03-2006, 02:52 PM
finally my :) idea is getting implemented. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36339
Where was my support in that thread Weq?? :D

ok ok this isnt exactly what i suggested, but still.
hooray!

J-MuN
19-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Is the 'noob section' just for the noobs? It says it is 'Private' as if I ain't a user. :p

panda[cRx]
19-03-2006, 05:34 PM
that's stupid coz we all know j-mun is a noob :)

wynode
19-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Is the 'noob section' just for the noobs? It says it is 'Private' as if I ain't a user. :p
That's cause they'res nothing in there yet.

J-MuN
20-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Ok thanks. Question answered.

panda[crx] can lick my nuts =)

z3lda
20-03-2006, 04:38 PM
yea j-mun belongs in there