PDA

View Full Version : subwoofers setup

civicCXI
11-03-2006, 04:47 PM
If I have 2 subwoofers and I installed them in such a way that one the left side and one on the right side of the luggage area and they area facing each other, will that affect the sound quality since the sound waves from each subs may superimpose one another (cancel out) resulting in "dead spot"?
What if I placed the subs the other way round (facing into the box)? will that also affect the quality and the dB level?

ICACHA
11-03-2006, 07:05 PM
what if you try first wiring one out of phase and see if it improves the responce, if not then leave them the way they are. also if you can get the car RTA'ed might be an idea to see if you have any cancellation happening...

civicCXI
11-03-2006, 09:09 PM
what's RTA?

EG30
11-03-2006, 09:40 PM
what's RTA?

Real Time Analyser

A must have for tuning, my installer used one to tune my system in my C class.

http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rta8ml.jpg

Fhrx
12-03-2006, 05:12 PM
The RTA is a fantastic tool used by experienced installers to achieve a solid foundation for tuning.

Contrary to popular opinion though, cars with a perfectly flat response curve do not sound good to human ears. This is because human hearing is most sensitive between 1000-2000Hz, not 20-20000Hz. When plotted, our hearing is actually in the shape of a bell curve, this is why we tend to enhance bass and treble first and not midrange.

You use an RTA to first get the dead flat response curve (we use a Quest RTA here) and then you begin from there tailoring the sound to the listeners tastes. :)

SiReal
12-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Real Time Analyser

A must have for tuning, my installer used one to tune my system in my C class.

If thats a C36/C43 I am gonig to whooop y0 ass! jealous la...

Fhrx
12-03-2006, 05:53 PM
If I have 2 subwoofers and I installed them in such a way that one the left side and one on the right side of the luggage area and they area facing each other, will that affect the sound quality since the sound waves from each subs may superimpose one another (cancel out) resulting in "dead spot"?
What if I placed the subs the other way round (facing into the box)? will that also affect the quality and the dB level?

The standing wave issues you're concerned about are not likely to effect your system because of the low frequency you're subs should be running at (around 60-80Hz and down).

For those not in the know, standing waves cause violent response fluctuations (usually inside the enclosure but in this case outside because the subs are facing each other) but for a standing wave to exist the distance between parallel boundaries (again usually the enclosure walls but this time the sub cones themselves that face each other) must be half the wavelength of the frequency at which the standing wave exists. Considering that sub-bass waves vary from 17.19 meters (@ 20 Hz) to 3.44 meters (@ 100 Hz) the generation of a standing wave is going to be somewhat unlikely in a boot such as yours civicCXI. People often stress about this (usually unnecessarily) and don't install subs facing each other in order to combat these wave issues. As you can see above though; in reality, due to the small dimensions of most car boots (but not all), there is little chance of of your subwoofers generating standing waves in the boot space you have.:D