PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Convert :)

Danthuyer
11-03-2006, 05:35 PM
hey guys :)

I've been a long time lover of the HONDA badge for their strong engines and well build cars.

I currently have a quick little ZZE123 Corolla Sportivo which is going to a new home in Sydney. (i live in brisvegas)

I have my eyes set on an EG civic. I have been doing some reading around these forums on this car and it suits my needs. I'm NOT looking for a hot hatch anymore. I just want a good reliable 4cyl 3door hatch with a good engine and a little bit of poke.

Now I know that with my rolla there were some inital issues with the gearbox/clutch on the car, which were fixed by making adjustments to the clutch and a few other bits. this was a common issue with this model car. As was body roll and weak chassis

What I would like to know is "Are there any obvious isues with the 92/93 EG civics that I should be looking out for ?"

ie - weak gearbox, bad clutch enguage, cracking engine mounts etc.etc :)

just to remind you I AM NOT looking for a hothatch ........ there maybe a K20a conversion later...but atm I just want a good reliable daily driver :D

Cheers
Sads

P.S Looking at the EG Si (Y)

EuroDude
11-03-2006, 11:01 PM
I have a 93 Si EG (Sedan) and have had no major problems - just the usual stuff I guess. I cant really think of any common issues, except for a weak air conditioner, but I think its normal for a 1.6L 4cyl car.

The only thing that may be a concern is that these models have a Distributor issue. The dizzy Cap went at around 200,000 and then my Dizzy Coil went at around 250,000. But I drive like a maniac (rev high alot but never redline) so I guess thats expected lol...

If you want decent power, get an Si (130hp) or a Vti (128hp?) and use Premium 95+ octane fuel. Avoid the GL and Breeze and that special edition economy VEi one they had unless ur a granny lol.

The Si's ZC D16A8 is a beast IMO. Its blown away lancers, V6 commodores, and even saab turbo's. 2nd gear has awesome power and there are plenty of aftermarket mods for it ;) Keep the tappets, oil, and filters in good order, and it all good :)

The manual Gearbox is a tough sonofabtch too.

Weq
11-03-2006, 11:14 PM
this has been covered alot
look at the Si vs Vti threads etc. do some general topic searches.

hint: gearbox's on si's are notorious.

Danthuyer
12-03-2006, 01:52 PM
this has been covered alot
look at the Si vs Vti threads etc. do some general topic searches.

hint: gearbox's on si's are notorious.

I found many topics on engines etc....makes models...blah blah blah.

but i couldnt find any SPECIFIC topics on reoccuring or common faults with this particular model.

sorry if i over looked them but I DID SEARCH!