PDA

View Full Version : Master Brake cylinder

G-Stick
12-03-2006, 02:17 AM
hi guys my master brake cylinder is on its way OUT. pedals sinking in and scaring the crap out of me at the start. the question is how long can i drive around until it becomes to dangerous to do so, it started last week. man i hate hot days wen it always sink in, always praying for the cold days to come so it will be ok.

i was thinking of either buying a new master brake cylinder or buying a rebuilt kit, with ones do u guys think is the more money saving or more effective. and can any mechanic rebuilt it?

ps. can i buy a second hand one or is it better to buy new?

cheers :wave:

saxman
12-03-2006, 09:18 AM
you sure it's the master cylinder? bled the lines? checked for any leaks?

G-Stick
12-03-2006, 09:46 AM
yeh wen to the mechs yesturday and he said it was the master brake cylivder and did a search and some of the guys on here had the same problem. just not sure if i should buy a new/old one or a rebuilt kit.
cheers

bside
12-03-2006, 10:25 AM
hey man, i had the same problem. I drove around for a while, (i think 3 days or less) before the M/C gave out. I just did petty drives like down the road to the shops. Just imagine driving and then all of a sudden your clutch gets stuck as you decide to shift gears. Cold days for me was bad, lol i couldn't shift into gears, unless i gave it a good smack. Buy a new M/C, its better in the long run and they only costs i think around $70-80 from Honda. Recondition/used is about $40 from any spare parts place.

G-Stick
12-03-2006, 10:59 AM
lol
i got that problem too much was it to install the MC for the clutch? sometimes in the morning i cant get into gear i kinda of have to wait awhile or pump the clutch and hope it goes in or have to start driving in gear 2 if i cant get into gear one. i just had my transmission/clutch fluid changed as well

this problem iam talking about is the brake master cylinder, wen i brake the pedals sink in mainly happens on hot days. it happened a day or 2 after i had my brake fluid changed/bleeded.

saxman
12-03-2006, 11:03 AM
well, if it started happening a day or 2 after your fluid was changed, I'd look there. My guess is you still have some air in the lines or a leak somewhere

G-Stick
12-03-2006, 11:08 AM
yeh those shifty bastard mechs. i came back there and they said it was the brake master cylinder. he then started telling me that the same problem happened to him in his prelude so i was convinced it was the MC. the pedal MAINLY sinks in wen its hot so could it be the air in the lines?

GreekWarrior
12-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Nah man it's the MC, samething happen to my integra about a month ago, my pedal would sink now and then but I didn't think anything of it until one day I was on a hill at the lights and my pedal kept sinking till it was flat on the floor then the car started rolling back!

I thought sh*t wtf! So I took it to my dads mate who is a mechanic and he said the seals were corroded so I decided to replace the whole MC but I could of reconditioned it if I wanted to.

G-Stick
12-03-2006, 11:46 AM
damn.... so was replacing it expensive?? just bought coilovers and kinda low on funds.
mech said if i got the MC he would charge 70 for labour i think this is to fit and bleed.

GreekWarrior
12-03-2006, 05:16 PM
damn.... so was replacing it expensive?? just bought coilovers and kinda low on funds.
mech said if i got the MC he would charge 70 for labour i think this is to fit and bleed.

About $250 from honda.

bside
12-03-2006, 05:19 PM
oh the brake master cylinder? i thought clutch master cylinder, sorry didn't read post properly. yeah as others have mentioned. air may be in your lines, seals damaged, leaks. feel above your brake pedal and see if any brake fluid is leaking.
Cost of my CLUTCH MC was $70 and $60 labour. so thats about right.

saxman
12-03-2006, 09:18 PM
mine did the same thing after I swapped the lines out for stainless ones... air in the lines caused those problems, then after that, I had a leak, which did the same thing.

I'd rebleed the lines a couple times and inspect all the calipers for leaks

e240
12-03-2006, 09:25 PM
yeh those shifty bastard mechs. i came back there and they said it was the brake master cylinder. he then started telling me that the same problem happened to him in his prelude so i was convinced it was the MC. the pedal MAINLY sinks in wen its hot so could it be the air in the lines?

Like SAXMAN says, if it only started occuring after your fluid change, then
add to the fact that you said it starts happening when hot (Thats when air starts to expand within the system), then its highly suspect that the system may not have been bled properly.

ECU-MAN
12-03-2006, 09:25 PM
i have found ( when Im unlucky ) bleeding the brakes triggers this as well as, not because you got air in it. you can bleed the brakes 10 times over and it wont go way.

usually it will play up on hot days.

bleed them properly once,if that fails then rebuild the master cylinder. ( 80 to 90 bucks for a kit ). dont get a 2nd hand one as you might get 3 yrs out of it or you might get 3 months.

look in the DIY section for the DIY on the rebuild.

e240
12-03-2006, 09:29 PM
i have found ( when Im unlucky ) bleeding the brakes triggers this as well as, not because you got air in it. you can bleed the brakes 10 times .

LOL, you're not the only one...

I have race Brembos on my bike and they are a pain to bleed! A lot of gentle tapping throughout to ensure all bubbles are removed. Now imagine having to do this right before every track session..... :confused:

Actually, there is a method to follow in cars, and so far, I've always found it works. Start with the rear wheel furthest away from the Master Pump and work your way to the right front, and then repeat again to be sure...LOL

ECU-MAN
12-03-2006, 09:30 PM
dahmm

G-Stick
12-03-2006, 09:44 PM
thanks guys
anyone know where i can get a new master brake cylinder to suit my dc2? and about how much for it. or is it best to get it rebuilt? i dont wanna do it myself but because i got very low mech knowledge. anyone in melb able to help. :)

bside
12-03-2006, 09:54 PM
im not exactly sure, but i think you can only use genuine honda parts.

GreekWarrior
13-03-2006, 07:49 AM
im not exactly sure, but i think you can only use genuine honda parts.

Yep only from honda. :thumbsup:

G-Stick
21-03-2006, 05:00 PM
my mech said that i dont need the honda ones and i should get aftermarket ones, not to sure about that but can anyone tell me if i can buy one from repco and replace my master cylinder

joyride
24-03-2006, 07:10 AM
can anyone tell me if i can buy one from repco and replace my master cylinder

Store Locations
Phone 133 227
StateStoreAddressPhoneMinimum Opening HoursVICSouth Melbourne102-106 Thistlethwaite Street03 9690 2322Mon - Fri 8am - 5.30pm, Sat 8am - 1pm