PDA

View Full Version : power cutting out

stevharr
12-03-2006, 01:58 PM
When I first got my S2000 I noticed a strange phenomenon. When the car is started from cold the revs are quite high (2-3000 rpm) and if the engine is pushed beyond 6000rpm the power cuts out. Once the engine warms up the revs drop to around 1000 and this cutting out doesn't happen anymore. is this normal?

Menzy
12-03-2006, 02:06 PM
sounds normal to me, as the engin is still cold you dont wanna push it hard to high rpms ...

as for the warm up ... every car thats cold will sit higher at idle ... for my ek1 it sits on 1500rpm or just a bit higher, plus you gotta let the car idle/warm up in the morning or when its cold :p

BRU51N
12-03-2006, 02:10 PM
yeh with my wrx on idle it sit almost at 2000rpm, after its warmed up it sits at about 900rpm.

give it afew mins for ur car 2 warm up before u give it a barn...

hondaboy
12-03-2006, 05:26 PM
The engine shouldn't revved that high when it's cold, the ecu brings in the limiter early to prevent damage. I thought the cutout was closer to 7000rpm last time I took off on a cold motor?

ECU-MAN
12-03-2006, 09:19 PM
yeah its a saftey thing,

dont rev your engine that high when its cold,

aaronng
12-03-2006, 09:22 PM
The ECU disables VTEC and sets the rev-limiter at that RPM as well. In the S2000, it's 6000rpm.

Stay below 3000rpm with light and medium throttle only when the engine is still cold.

AusS2000
13-03-2006, 09:55 AM
That's completely normal. It's a combination of 'cold idle' and 'cold rev limiter'.

Now that you're going turbo you will have the AEM controlling the engine. It'll probably be set up the same with a cold idle setting about 2k. But it may not be set with a cold rev limiter. What ever you do, don't push the car when cold with the turbo.

Another issue you will have is that the AEM doesn't drive the S2000s temperature gauge, so you won;t really know when you're warm enough to give it some. You should invest in Modifry's ECT to not only give you back your temp gauge but make it give you a better indication of temp:

http://modifry.com/products/ect/index.htm

stevharr
28-03-2006, 10:28 AM
That's completely normal. It's a combination of 'cold idle' and 'cold rev limiter'.

Now that you're going turbo you will have the AEM controlling the engine. It'll probably be set up the same with a cold idle setting about 2k. But it may not be set with a cold rev limiter. What ever you do, don't push the car when cold with the turbo.

Another issue you will have is that the AEM doesn't drive the S2000s temperature gauge, so you won;t really know when you're warm enough to give it some. You should invest in Modifry's ECT to not only give you back your temp gauge but make it give you a better indication of temp:

http://modifry.com/products/ect/index.htm

Is this fairly straight forward to fit?

AusS2000
28-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Yep. Just splice a few wires. Full instructions are at the URL.

stevharr
28-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Yep. Just splice a few wires. Full instructions are at the URL.
yeah I downloaded the installation instructions and got to the point where it said
"1. Remove the driver’s side doorsill trim and the driver’s foot well trim. (if you don’t know how how to do this you probably shouldn’t be doing this modification)"
and thought, I have no idea what they are talking about. :o

AusS2000
28-03-2006, 11:06 AM
First thing to note is that they are talking LHD so it is actually the passenger side trims you need to remove.

I would suggest you give the ECT to Adrian and let him install it. Or if you're closer to my part of the world I work for beers.

stevharr
28-03-2006, 11:11 AM
First thing to note is that they are talking LHD so it is actually the passenger side trims you need to remove.

I would suggest you give the ECT to Adrian and let him install it. Or if you're closer to my part of the world I work for beers.

LOL, I've just had a weekend in the Hunter so I have plenty of 2003 Brokenwood Shiraz. Oh and it looks like you were right about The car not being ready Wednesday.

AusS2000
28-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Sheez, for Brokenwood I'll even wipe my greasy palm prints off!

What is the story with Wednesday? Are they missing something, or is it just because they've got a big tuning job on? ;)

stevharr
28-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Sheez, for Brokenwood I'll even wipe my greasy palm prints off!

What is the story with Wednesday? Are they missing something, or is it just because they've got a big tuning job on? ;)

I'm not sure, I think he just underestimated the time required to put everything together. But it's definately out the door this week, and I guess this far down the line that's all I care about now.