PDA

View Full Version : amplifier setup

rtsnoz
12-03-2006, 09:46 PM
In my civic i've currently got a pioneer cd player running 6" JVCs in the front, and 6"X9"s in the back. In the boot i have an alpine MRP-T406 running a sub.
details: http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-MRP-T406-2-Channel-Amp_W0QQitemZ5872230112QQcategoryZ39733QQcmdZViewI tem

I have just purchased myself a soundstream xtream XTA480.4 so that i can have all speakers powered by a seperate amplifier.
details: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15526

I want to have the sub recieving the most power. Should I run it through the much larger and heavier soundstream? or should i stick with the alpine for that?

Also, does anyone know if the soundstream is a reasonable amp?

Slow96GSR
12-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Leave it on the alpine. As for reasonable I have never used em an most likely will never use them. Not saying they are bad, just remember you get what you pay for.

rtsnoz
12-03-2006, 10:24 PM
i havn't actually paid for it yet, price is still under negotiation.... Any ideas about what its worth?

Fhrx
12-03-2006, 10:42 PM
The big problem with the Alpine is it's power and THD. It makes 120watts bridged at 4ohm with a whopping 0.3% THD so the bass at full power is not going to be overly controlled. Like I've said before many times; they're good amplifiers just not powerful enough.

Alternatively, you could sell the Alpine and run the Soundstream with channels 1 and 2 into your front speakers (remember you're seated at the front and your ears face forwards so I suggest you leave the rear speakers to run off the deck for now) and bridge channels 3 and 4 into your subwoofer. At least that way your sub is still getting a similar power level, but with only 0.05% THD. :D

You might also want to consider getting your self a three or five channel amplifier designed for systems just like yours where the 3rd and 5th channel respectively is designed to run a subwoofer. For example something like an Audison SRx3 or SRx5?

rtsnoz
12-03-2006, 11:00 PM
ok well... working on that basis... why not use the alpine for the rear 6x9s?

Also what wire would you recomend using from the speakers to the amp?

ICACHA
13-03-2006, 07:57 AM
why not buy the best you can afford and forget about the brand issue, when buying quality you cant go wrong with a brand name, excluding jaycar, they just suck in many peoples opinions. if you dont believe me go have a look at most audio forums and people will recommend jaycar then soon after a WTB jaycar amp thread gets started and once that person finds out how crap they are a FS jaycar amp thread turns up. due to the sillyness of the CSA which due to their last issue rating the quality goods on top but then giving 1st place to the product in that catagory that was the cheapest. big clap out to the CSA reviewers for giving brand names that have been out there for 10's of years a bad name and opting for cheap over quality that ruled supreme. cant understand how us aussies pride ourselves on how cheap we got something, must feel good to show our mates how cheap we are with how cheap we got something and in most cases the item is cheap in all respects i.e. looks, performance, build, ultimately sound hahahaha

mj3610
13-03-2006, 08:21 AM
^^^ schneider audio is not that expensive but their stuff arent bad, bang for ur buck...
a good example
http://www.schneideraudio.com.au/sc_product.php?cat=Products&proId=90

im against cheap crap shit aswell but sometimes the most expensive doesnt mean the best...

ICACHA
13-03-2006, 08:36 AM
your right about that the most expensive isnt the best for everyone mj3610, that type of gear is only for those who still have their hearing and can appreciate sound quality over sound quantity :)

Fhrx
13-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Also what wire would you recomend using from the speakers to the amp?

Again there are many different cable brands that shops use. Our main ones here are Stinger, Audison Connection, QED and Ohmn.

I would run quality 16AWG (14AWG if you use cheaper cables) to your speakers.:)