PDA

View Full Version : EG - GL (how'd they go?)

DKS51R
13-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Found an EG as well as the ED i'm looking at,

its a GL (91)

What sorta things can I do with it (its the carby tho)

How much are D16 engine these days?

or would it be more worthwhile to buy the D15 twin carb for sale in the parts section?

Eclipsor
13-03-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm sure you could search for most of this info. However, in short most people will say there isn't much worthwhile you doing to the gl performance wise. Being carb also means it's a bit more of a hassle if you want to do an efi engine conversion down the track. If you search in the diy section there are some carb mods you can do for better throttle response. Don't know what you mean by your last line. The gl comes with the D15b...4?? which is the twin carb. The d16 engines aren't that expensive, but I would think it would be much easier to simply get an si or vti to begin with.

EuroDude
13-03-2006, 02:24 PM
yeah the D15B4 is only 74kw. It would be a better idea to simply get an Si or VTi (both are 96kw and EFI).

Civic model info: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2

DKS51R
13-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the info.

Problem is that there is no way in the world will i pay 8-10k for a 92/93/94 si/vti
this gl i have bargained him down to 4k without driving the car.

For the 8-10k mark i'd rather buy something quicker (180 / Another Silvia , R32)

but i thought i'd give Honda's another go

So the ED and the EG GL have the same engine? Hmmmmm

EuroDude
13-03-2006, 02:44 PM
How about a GLi? Surely you could find one near 4K-5K.

If you are planning on putting a faster engine in later, at least you will already have EFI ;)

DKS51R
13-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Not in Canberra!

THe onlygli i know of, wants 8k cause he re-did the interior and has chromies on the car, but it needs body work, new shocks, new springs cause they aren't legal and its got to do its 200k service! all for the cheap price of 8k!

EGB16A
13-03-2006, 02:48 PM
How about a GLi? Surely you could find one near 4K-5K.

If you are planning on putting a faster engine in later, at least you will already have EFI ;)

agreed^^

the GL goes like a bag of shit. If your after something to get around in, then fair enough. From a performance point of view, they aren't so great.
Another vote for the Si or VTI :thumbsup:

VT3C
13-03-2006, 03:25 PM
man if you cant find an Si for less than $5k you arent looking hard enough.forget the GL especially if you want any 'performance'.. and like someone else said even if you want to do a swap the GL is a nightmare cause it's carby.

DKS51R
13-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Looking at Tradingpost

I stand corrected! found a couple of Si's. but sold sold sold

Looked at Carsales, Carpoint,Drive,Here and BoostCruise and nada
except for a sedan 4 6k with a b18, but the guys hell dodgy!