PDA

View Full Version : short shift kits? good or bad?

geo41e
18-04-2004, 07:09 PM
hey, i bought a civic with a chort shift kit already installed.
I heard they are bad for the syncros?

anybody confirm this and why ?

what can i do ?

A'PEXi
18-04-2004, 07:47 PM
cant see why? its just a sorter stick? :P

luzinit
18-04-2004, 08:00 PM
its becoz u try to shift faster than the syncros would like it, thats how u damage it!

also higher chance of misshifting , and other incorrect shifting techniques.

i remember theres a thread in technical somewhere, search it up!

XXpl0Sive
18-04-2004, 08:20 PM
A Short Shifter is not a shorter gearstick, it gives shorter THROWS.

VTEC16
18-04-2004, 09:12 PM
A Short Shifter is not a shorter gearstick, it gives shorter THROWS.

they are shorter mate. But the position of the ball joint is also important (what you are implying).

EDIT: A THREAD FROM LAST WEEK (http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4731&highlight=short+shifter)

XXpl0Sive
18-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Yeh, what I'm getting at is the point of a short shifter is to shorten the throws. Shortening the stick does nothing..

Weq
18-04-2004, 10:56 PM
i recently grabbed one of ebay.. just an APC cheapy, $40 imported. Good quality and fit - the throw is a HEEP shorter, makes the gearbox feel tiny.. love it! It was a bit tight at first and hard to shift with, but once the ball got worked it, twas all good.

Anthony38
18-04-2004, 11:27 PM
Where can i purchase one of these short throwers.
I just recently brought at em1 and changing gear is nothing like how I would in my last car, honda crx gen 3.

how do they cost??

bennjamin
18-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Yeh, what I'm getting at is the point of a short shifter is to shorten the throws. Shortening the stick does nothing..

WRONG

didnt u take notice in physics benny ?

Shortening the length of a pivoting "stick" (for example) will decrease its "throw" ( or movement required to complete the same pivoting action of before , when it was full-length) - but will require more LOAD to execute.

IE - shorter gear stick = shorter throw.

(some one please correct me with perfect knowledge - its been 8 years since i did this stuff lol)

luzinit
18-04-2004, 11:59 PM
u can have short shifters which decrease the throw but are same height as stock
eg. buddy club short shifter

anyways heres a quick site to read abt cons of s/shifter > http://www.fastlineperformance.com/shifter.htm

Anthony38
19-04-2004, 12:38 AM
in everyone's opinion, installing a short shifter is bad or good?

Rufes1
19-04-2004, 01:19 AM
depends how you use it.

It is neither good or bad.

But can alow you to thrash between gears faster, if done regularly, bad,....

I lthink they are fine. Having seen weq's which is smooth and short,,

2ds
19-04-2004, 03:32 AM
after driving a gen 3 crx (reasonably short shift) driving anythign with a normal annoys the hell out of me!

-2ds

fueltank
19-04-2004, 09:28 AM
in everyone's opinion, installing a short shifter is bad or good?

if you try to shift quicker then your synchro's will die quickly.
if you just take it easy shifting with a short shifter then they will last.

How often do you NOT slam the gears home when you take someone off the lights? Would you be able to stop yourself from doing so with a shortshifter installed :?: :!:

eknine
19-04-2004, 09:37 AM
question is do you want it or do you need it :)

VTEC16
19-04-2004, 09:43 AM
i dont think anyone 'needs' it. And if they 'want' it - they shouldnt have it!

LatinoHatchCrap
19-04-2004, 10:04 AM
i've got a j's racing ss and when i put it next to the stock teggy shifter its the same lenght.

eknine
19-04-2004, 10:49 AM
i dont think anyone 'needs' it. And if they 'want' it - they shouldnt have it!

u share my sentiments :)

just remember the synchros
- bitch to change
- cost dear to replace
- left without a car during the rebuilt process
- may have to replace a few more parts if it badly screwed - worst scenario the whole gearbox

all these vs the thrills, well i'm sure you will find the advantage within :D

however if you want to do it ,IMO then do it right -> get quality parts and some new shift linkage bush.

Have fun:)

geo41e
19-04-2004, 11:00 AM
with my short shifter, l found out that can't shift quick..as in..get all Geed up and throw the gears quick..u have to change gears noirmally....

howevert in addition to this,. when u change gears normally, ur actually changing them quicker then stock..true?
also, when changing gears normally in the short shifter, do u still wear out ur syncros ?

Weq
19-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Just because u have a short shifter, doesnt mean u will wear out ur syncro's of whatever quicker. And just because u dont have a short shifter it doesnt mean u WONT wear out ur syncro's/other quickly.

Its all about how u treat ur gearbox.

Anthony38
19-04-2004, 07:31 PM
Um....

after reading this thread, its given me second thoughts about purchasing one.

I think I will do some research.
seems like everyone knows what damage it does to your car if it was used incorrectly but how about the good stuff, like able to change gears quickly

:)

XXpl0Sive
20-04-2004, 12:25 AM
benjamin..you're 100% right there, i know what you're talkin about
but the point i am trying to make is my own s/shifter is exactly the same height as the stock shifter and it's a big big difference in throw length :)

geo41e
20-04-2004, 06:44 PM
yeah...XXplosive is danm right
but u can't change too qickly coz the synros can't keep up

CRXONE
20-04-2004, 07:10 PM
I own a Honda Crx Generation 2

Alot of my mates from CRXAUSTRALIA.COM have these short shifters.

Basically with a shorft shifter the gearbox feels like the Daytona at your local TimeZone! Very short shifts and alot of fun, though if you dont have a heavyduty clutch or a brass button clutch you lose the whole racing car feel!

So personally dont do one and not the other or else its kinda pointless and you will find you will be moving the gears faster than your foot presses the clutch. ie... crunching gears etc... bye bye syncros

VTEC16
20-04-2004, 08:42 PM
nice avatar CRXONE!

2MPRSS
20-04-2004, 10:09 PM
hmmm i got my vti with short shift and yeh it got fkd up easy

gelo
19-05-2005, 08:58 PM
reviving old thread
guys i just wanna know

for cars like dc2r that comes standard with a short shifter
does it mean it wears out its synchors faster than a normal car without a short shifter?

also
if u shift 'normal' with a type R short shifter ( which is faster than a normal shifter already) would this be easier on your synchors?

thing is, i just got myself a full ctr shifter set which i heard is the same as itr
it comes with linkages, bushings and short shifter
after reading this thread
im worried that if i install it i will wear out my synchros faster

i shift gears up adn down alot on street and track but i do heel toe/ double de-clutch every change
does that help at all?