PDA

View Full Version : buying a gen1 crx ew5

Jazzle
14-03-2006, 09:05 AM
:p im going to buy a gen1 crx ew5 and hopefully i b getting it next week, but of coz the car is not in great condition (as expected for a 1986 model), so there is a need to give it a major service and a few minor fixes,

just wanna ask, does anybody know where i can find a find a full spec of the car (as my knowledge to the car is limited), and a service manual??? is there any link where i can download them???

any help would be appreciated...

also, is it ok to give it a lil push once in a while? coz im scared if i push it, it will break down.. :D

marte
14-03-2006, 09:28 AM
you can try : http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2
then theres this; http://kumo.swcp.com/synth/crx/specs.html
and also this; http://www.crxsi.com/specs.htm
thats a start (y)

Jazzle
14-03-2006, 10:12 AM
oh thank you!! :wave:
but which one is the ew5?? i think it's ballade sport..

sam
14-03-2006, 11:26 AM
yeah its the ballade sport, the ew5 refers to the motor, ew5 is the 1.5 sohc 16v fuel injected motor. there are 3 different motors in the gen1, ew2 1.5l carby, ew5 1.5i, zc dohc 1.6i.

SINISTR
14-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Ew5 is a SOHC 12 Valve Sam - close enough... ;)

Jazzle - u getting the one off ebay?

vvvvvvvv Ive got one as well :) vvvvvvvv

Jazzle
14-03-2006, 01:10 PM
haha i know u have got one.. u got any advice for me?? like wat engine oil, coolant, and other parts to use when i service it??...

and from ur experience, do you think it's a reliable car?? i think the engine has done 210,000kms, which is not that much for a 1986 model.

SINISTR
14-03-2006, 05:15 PM
hey,

I recon any new purchase of an 'older' car needs some TLC in terms of oil, coolant etc.

For a start give it an oil change, and go to a good radiator place and do a full cooling system flush. Check your log books if any are available for a timing belt change - if recent don't worry but if you don't have any books or history a timing belt change would be advised.

210000 isn't bad - GENONE has 270000 on the clock - mind you it had a rebuild because of the oil pump giving way but everything else internally was great. I recall the dude that worked on the cyl head said it looked like the car has barely done 10000kms and same thing with the block - so technically they are very good motors.

Something else to look at is front shocks, being a torsion bar setup - good condition shocks are essential as otherwise your car will go to sh*t very quick if youre bottoming out.

thats about it for now... if you have any questions just PM me or ask here.

SlobberGoat
14-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Dont listen to sinistr, he doesnt have one.....

...he has TWO OF THEM!

;)

SINISTR
14-03-2006, 05:50 PM
true... but only one is an EW5. hehe

same principal applies to both when it comes to the engine.

Jazzle
14-03-2006, 10:57 PM
=) thanx for the advices... but wat is TLC??
anyway, no matter wat condition it's in.. im gonna give it a major service,, including timing belt changes....

regarding to the suspension, if they're not in good condiiton, is it easy to find aftermarket parts or any replacements?? also, should i use genuine honda oil, coolant etc .. coz since the car is pretty old, i would think using synthetic oil may not be good for the engine

anyway, when i get the car later i will have a good look at it and there will bemore questions to come =D

SlobberGoat
15-03-2006, 12:22 AM
TLC = Tender Loving Care (ie: need some work done to bring it back to spec)

SINISTR
15-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Good Suspension shops should be able to advise you on parts - but Koni Reds are good adjustable shocks for the front of the car. Rear is just like any other civic from 83-86.

for oil i'd recommend using penrite or shell helix - anything that has 20/50 rating.

Zdster
15-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Listen to this guy :arrowu:. He knows one or two things about crx's :D.

SINISTR
15-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Listen to this guy :arrowu:. He knows one or two things about crx's :D.

thanks dude~! ;)

Jazzle
18-03-2006, 09:01 PM
finally brought my baby back home from vic yesterday.. man... mechanical condition suprisingly is better than i thought, (drove all way from albury back to sydney with many stops without any problems, 7 and a half hr) :thumbsup:, engine still running well, not much noise with suspensions and brakes are working fine (definitely need service though, had to step the pedal half the way down for it to start braking)..

however the body work and interior condition are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy worse than wat i expected... flithy, sticky, greasy inside, my hands was literally stuck with the steering wheel :D ... and very stick around the dash.., there are some rust in the body and cracks too (as some panels are made by plastic)... :thumbdwn:

anyway,, I will try to post up some pic after a big wash (will have to remove all the seats, steering wheel, everything i could to give it a thorough wash)..

and I have some questions, does anybody know if the grille of 86' civic can fit into the 86' ballade?? there's a big cracked hole there and i think i will have to change it to get the blueslip/pinkslip...

and i have to change steering wheel, and seats, coz they are damaged.. just wondering, does one size fit all?? if not, how do i find out what steering wheel and seats will fit the car??

oh and lastly,, normally when honda engine starts from cold, the idle will go higher at first,, and as the engine warms up, it will drop down to around 750rpm... but with my beast, it will go very very low at first, even stalls a few times and i had to give a lil gas to keep it up for a few sec, and weird part is.. when engine is warmed up,, it will stay around 1200rpm idle.. :?:
does anybody know wat the problem is?? it is certainly not normal to me

:(

ALLMTR
18-03-2006, 09:04 PM
I love these cars!!!! There is another one on Ebay at the moment but it is a bit ricey for my liking....

Jazzle
19-03-2006, 02:58 PM
where?? could u please post the link up coz i can't find it =)

SINISTR
19-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Jazzle - will reply tonight...

yes there was a gen1 for sale :) has all the replacement parts with it too - sunroof etc *which is what I need daymn*