PDA

View Full Version : lightweight flywheel differences

Felix
14-03-2006, 12:53 PM
From peoples experiences which lightweight flywheel is better for street use with a HD Exedy Organic clutch? Spoon (4.6kg) or Toda (4.1kg)?
Will the half a kg make any difference in the performance?
I'm decideing between these 2 for my DC2, they are both the same price so thats not a factor.

Chris_F
14-03-2006, 01:44 PM
i have a 4.7kg and exedy organic hd clutch, theres a very noticeable improvement in accleration/engine responsiveness. 1st gear in particular, theres a really big difference in pick up and youll notice it for sure, but it depends on how light your original was to how much of a difference you notice. My stock fly + clutch combo weighed 16kg and the replacemnt parts came in at 9kg so that may be a reason why i felt such a big change.

for street use, personally id go with the 4.6kg.. 500grams isnt a huge difference but ive noticed already that with a hd clutch and 4.7kg flywheel taking off becomes less smooth and is "just" comfortable for street. Because the clutch becomes more on/off with a hd clutch and the flywheel is lighter stop start traffic can become a bit annoying with the on/off jerky feeling this combo can give..

totally worth it though man go.. so 4.6kg for street IMO

Felix
14-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks mate, yeah my stock flywheel is around 9kg for a DC2 vtir i believe.

Chris_F
14-03-2006, 02:17 PM
no worries.. damn thats a heavy stocker, your car is really gonna come alive after the flywheel is isntalled.

TODA AU
14-03-2006, 02:49 PM
From peoples experiences which lightweight flywheel is better for street use with a HD Exedy Organic clutch? Spoon (4.6kg) or Toda (4.1kg)?
Will the half a kg make any difference in the performance?
I'm decideing between these 2 for my DC2, they are both the same price so thats not a factor.

The SPOON flywheel is a factory style flywheel.
The extra 500g is quite significant when you measure the inertia of the flywheel.
& it's the reduction in inertia that offeres the greatest benifit.

A visual common sense look at the situation shows this quite simply.
Note: The SPOON flywheel is of the same style as the OEM unit.
http://www.spoon.jp/jp/products/images/lineup/606_09.jpg
That is, the flywheel maintains solid material from centre to outer edge.
To reduce the weight, the flywheel becomes thin & can warp if the clutch is ridden heavily.

The TODA unit by comparison is not cast & machined from chromemolly.
Not only is the material strength superior, the design is also superior.
http://www.todaracing.com/images/related_b16a_flywheel.jpg
By removing mass from the outer area by use of holes, the inner drive area maintains it's thickness thereby increasing it's strength.
So using the TODA unit, you achieve less inertia, less total weight & higher strength, both through design & material selection.
It is designed specifically for the sports street driver & has no negative side effect.

Felix
14-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks Adrian, but those extra holes in the toda fly would have to make it weaker and more prone to warping in some way or form...

EDIT: actually i just re read your post and it now makes sense. The spoon fly is made thinner to reduce weight and therefore warps easier, the toda fly reduces weight by haveing the holes while keeping the material thicker, therefore stronger... Is this correct?

bennjamin
14-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks Adrian, but those extra holes in the toda fly would have to make it weaker and more prone to warping in some way or form...

EDIT: actually i just re read your post and it now makes sense. The spoon fly is made thinner to reduce weight and therefore warps easier, the toda fly reduces weight by haveing the holes while keeping the material thicker, therefore stronger... Is this correct?

as adrian said -

The TODA unit by comparison is not cast & machined from chromemolly.
Not only is the material strength superior, the design is also superior.

the toda unit is forged , where the spoon item is cast.

Weq
14-03-2006, 03:48 PM
i run an act streetlight. never had a problem, good upgrade for a NA car. revs alot faster! just close urself to the JDM market. US provides alot of quality products - most of which are still made in japan.

come in 5.4kg and 3.9kg

ACT Prolite Flywheel Features:

- Premium quality
- Forged chrome-moly steel
- CNC machined to exact tolerances
- Precision balanced
- Induction hardened integral ring gear
- Stronger than cast iron, billet steel or aluminum
- Durable and thick enough to be surfaced
- Certified SFI specification 1.1 - Legal for racing

http://www.streetlevelperformance.com/Images/Drivetrain/ACT/Flywheel/prolitebig.gif

edit:
can be had for under $400aud shipped (speak to jimmeh)

Felix
14-03-2006, 03:52 PM
think the toda unit wins hands down.

Chris_F
14-03-2006, 04:32 PM
yep the toda design is good :thumbsup:

i simply went for the jdm dc5r flywheel on my euro, but in a case where you have to go non-oem stick to the brands you know you can trust.. i think its important that a flywheel have guaranteed structurial integretity like that of toda, honda oem and spoon etc

Felix
14-03-2006, 05:15 PM
^ yep thats why i narrowed it down to Toda or Spoon

shebangs
14-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Can someone please tell me how the TODA 4.1KG Flywheel and the HD Exedy Organic clutch (or maybe another sports clutch) will change the characteristics of my car? I know it'll rev harder (i ride a motorbike so I know how it revs hard and also loses revs fast) - but what else changes? Will I still be able to chirp into second? What about 2nd to 3rd? What about at lower revs? Does the car stall easier (girlfriend driving it stalls it enough as is..) etc.

Thanks,
Matt

Chris_F
14-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Hey matt,

basically, your car will feel more on/off (the only real way i know how to describe it) when it comes to clutch engagement in particualr. The revs dropping and rising really quickly is most pronounced in first gear. I found that with a quick shift it was easier to chirp into 2nd and (to a lesser extent) 3rd.

Personally i found the car much easier to stall with a hd clutch and lightweight flywheel. A previous euro owner (with a stock clutch and flywheel) recently drove my car and commented how on/off more easily stalled it was. I find i need to give it more revs to take off smoothly without shuddering. Just below 2krpm sees a good clean take off normally.

another unexpected affect i noticed is that in the higher gears the engine seems to pick up from lower speeds. in 5th gear in the euro i can get the car moving farily comfortably from 60km/h (less than 2k rpm or so from memory)

give you an idea? happy to answer any other questions you might have

Weq
14-03-2006, 10:03 PM
^ yep thats why i narrowed it down to Toda or Spoon

So u still trust spoon even though toda au clearly stated how inferior and defect it could become??

u guys, are JDM wannabe's and brand whores. i wonder if u even know how many flywheels ACT sell a year in comparision to spoon or toda?

Felix
15-03-2006, 08:10 AM
So u still trust spoon even though toda au clearly stated how inferior and defect it could become??

ummm NO. I had narrowed it down to Toda or Spoon before i posted this thread. Now that Adrian (TODA AU) has provided me with some information i am definately going to get the Toda flywheel.!
I am no brand whore, i have xforce headers! lol !!!

EDIT: Sorry Weq but i just dont trust ACT. Provide me with a website or something and i'll have a look.

Chris_F
15-03-2006, 08:38 AM

u guys, are JDM wannabe's and brand whores. i wonder if u even know how many flywheels ACT sell a year in comparision to spoon or toda?

weq, although i appreciate and understand the information toda au provided about the flywheel, oviously they know most about there own product and even if subconciously doing so would rather promote something they themselves are selling. Speak to someone selling spoon and theyll probably give you a totally different story. The reason why i suggested sticking with the well known brands is because it would be less of a risk (high profile companies generally have better after sales support and also like to maintain their brand image by ensuring a certain level of quality control with all of their products). labelling my self and others "jdm wannabe's" and "brand whores" is a bit unnecessary, i was just trying to offer piece of mind in my reccomendation.

todaek9
15-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Just take a look at ACT Flywheel before decide...

Felix
15-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Just take a look at ACT Flywheel before decide...

cant find anywhere to buy em in Aus. and cant find there site.

todaek9
15-03-2006, 10:11 PM
bad luck.

tanghy
09-06-2006, 01:41 AM
spoon flywheel is 4.2 kg and not 4.6 as mentioned

hondar
09-06-2006, 01:50 AM
spoon flywheel is 4.2 kg and not 4.6 as mentioned

looking at all this,

i just want to see if its true since i got the spoon flywheel with me.

i measured it up and its 4.19kg on the scale.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hondar/0008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hondar/0012.jpg

im not having a go at anyone. but just want to clear some airs of confusion.

i dont think spoon flywheel is cast. material wise it looks like toda as well.

i have past pics of toda flywheel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hondar/toda/todabf2.jpg

funny things is, spoon and toda flywheel share the same part no. although the hole is in diffrent position, they weigh about the same (or the same) we can find out if anyone has toda b-series flywheel in stock.

tanghy
09-06-2006, 02:10 AM
taken from http://www.aj-racing.com/catalog/product.php?productid=883&cat=0&page=2

The Spoon flywheel is a chromoly unit weighing only 4.2kg (9.2lbs). The design and weight were selected after extensive driving and circuit tests to be the best balance. As a result, the Spoon flywheel provides faster revs and engine response, improved drivability, and quicker response and power exiting corners. (Note, to improve driving smoothness, Spoon uses the rotational balance value of 1.2kg/cm2 as the standard for all rotating parts such as the flywheel and brake rotor).

Cold Fusion
09-06-2006, 01:08 PM
can u use light flywheels for non-hd cluthces? i just brought a enw stock clutch (was really cheap:P) so i got it, but a flywheel seems like a good idea :)

ORACER
09-06-2006, 01:47 PM
id rock spoon flywheel anytime!!!!
well worth the $$$$$

BlitZ
09-06-2006, 02:53 PM
will i notice a difference upgrading to ITR fly? 2kg lighter then VTIR ?