PDA

View Full Version : Is 1/2 price on an ecu flash a good deal for supplying Euro to Hondata to be tested?

msnealo
14-03-2006, 02:58 PM
As stated in title Is 1/2 price on an ecu flash a good deal for supplying Euro to Hondata to be tested?

What are your thoughts?

What could go wrong?

aaronng
14-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Well, as with most testing, your engine could fail. There would be many back to back dyno runs, so it would be extra wear on your engine. They should be messing around with ignition timing, fuel map and cam timings to find the optimum point, and an incorrect setting might have added wear in pinging or worst case, running lean. But it should be less risky than I have described. I would have preferred it to be given to you free. Because the wear on your car is more than the $$$ you save for the 50% discount. Plus, you void your engine warranty.

I'll leave this thread here for the other Euro owners to chime in. It's different if you have a car that is out of warranty. If the engine fails, you find another engine and put it in. For the Euro, most of them are still under warranty, so it is a different case. I'd only void my warranty if it was a tried and tested product. Not one that is being tested on my car and also not being free of charge. Also, being a family sedan, the mindset of owners is slightly different too.

mugen88
14-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Its a tough question and really a personal choice if its a good deal or not!

There are so many variables but given the time and the comittment you are putting in I would at least negotiate for a complete system (exhaust & ECU).

As Arronng stated you are putting up a significant investment in your car to be used as a testbed. Its probably best to work out the worst case scenario for you and how would you cope or manage this situation with James at Hondata. It comes down to what your comfortable with, I would consider may be negotiating some terms in writing to cover both parties as a option.

This is probably sounds all too serious now but I think its worth commenting on.

BiLL|z0r
14-03-2006, 04:45 PM
The car being requested is for stock dyno testing only I am led to beleive. This is so they have a completely stock Euro to give the before and after dyno's. It didn't meantion anything about actually modding your car for the testing, as that's what Peekey's car is for.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I wouldn't mind knowing what my car puts out at the wheels for free.

yfin
14-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Well, as with most testing, your engine could fail. There would be many back to back dyno runs, so it would be extra wear on your engine. They should be messing around with ignition timing, fuel map and cam timings to find the optimum point, and an incorrect setting might have added wear in pinging or worst case, running lean. But it should be less risky than I have described. I would have preferred it to be given to you free. Because the wear on your car is more than the $$$ you save for the 50% discount. Plus, you void your engine warranty.

That is exactly why we should all say a big thankyou to Peekay34!! The guy is a champion for being the guinea pig in this process - at significant time cost to himself (as well as the risks mentioned above).

I personally don't know Hondata Australia or James from a bar of soap. I truly hope James knows his stuff and the reflash leaves plenty of safe margin to ensure the longevity of the engine.

2 years down the track I don't really want to be part of a class action if we all have blown engines! That last comment was a joke btw (at least i hope). hehe

Chris_F
14-03-2006, 05:00 PM
That is exactly why we should all say a big thankyou to Peekay34!! The guy is a champion for being the guinea pig in this process - at significant time cost to himself (as well as the risks mentioned above).

I personally don't know Hondata Australia or James from a bar of soap. I truly hope James knows his stuff and the reflash leaves plenty of safe margin to ensure the longevity of the engine.

2 years down the track I don't really want to be part of a class action if we all have blown engines! That last comment was a joke btw (at least i hope). hehe

totally agree with this, thanks again peekay34 for your time and effort with the hondata reflash for the euro :thumbsup:

Ferrarista
14-03-2006, 05:40 PM
not at all

Tobster
15-03-2006, 08:17 AM
I agree that whether you believe it's a good deal or not is a matter of personal opinion.

My personal opinion:

This is a money-making venture with the developers standing to make the most gains (or at least that is their goal). The developer should offer their product for free in this instance (after all, you're adding to their bottom line) in exchange for your time and assistance to them.

Otherwise they should pay for the "hire" of you and your car. If you're to then pay for the product, you should have the option of your ECU being reset to factory.

You'll find that the majority of well-respected tuning and aftermarket development companies out there normally buy their own development cars. They run their own risks to develop their own product.

The product might be good, but I don't know the developers and an "on-the-cheap" backyard development that hasn't undergone full legal emissions and other testing and isn't offered with some sort of warranty or guarantee doesn't fill me with confidence...

Peekay34
15-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Unfortunately the tests have already been completed, this was done late last week. I was there for the testing, and the results were absolutely mind fascinating. The test ran for approximately 20 minutes where James from Hondatech tested the final version of the standard Euro Flash Upgrade for Australian Euro’s back to back with the Standard ECU. The test was two fold, warming the car up too operating temperature, taking intake and engine temperature readings followed by Dyno testing the Standard ECU. The car was then allowed to cool down for 10 minutes and then warmed backup to exactly the same temperature as the Standard ECU apart from this time with the Hondata Final Flash ECU to generate final data. The results ill let James Report on.

This test gave a true indication on the difference the Hondata Flash Upgrade James has developed makes on a standard Euro. James in fact gave the lucky test car owner a voucher for a free Hondatech Exhaust, free Hondatech Intake, free Hondatech Short Shifter and matching ECU for when the product is released. James didn’t want to tell the owner before hand that everything was free, this would have inundated James with far to many requests. This way James had someone volunteer who was dedicated and not just wanting a discount, smart thinking if you ask me.

As for my car, I have a deal with James with regards to the development of everything on my car, this has worked out perfectly for myself and James.

Chris_F
15-03-2006, 10:33 PM
WOW, great news for the test car. And great news for those interested in the reflash, thanks for the update :thumbsup:

msnealo
16-03-2006, 05:39 AM
Excellent work Peekay34 and the lucky Punter.

I think that was smart of James and very generous. Good stuff all round :thumbsup:

BiLL|z0r
16-03-2006, 06:33 AM
Looking forward to the results. Clever thinking by James there. I bet all those who bagged him out saying it was a rip are kicking themselves now.

Tobster
16-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Looking forward to the results. Clever thinking by James there. I bet all those who bagged him out saying it was a rip are kicking themselves now.
Personally, I still think it's bad PR -- look how much bad feeling it generated.

Be up front -- first in, best dressed.

Word of mouth (which includes bulletin boards) is the best recommendation; small businesses can't afford a bad image.

Peekay34
16-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Personally, I still think it's bad PR -- look how much bad feeling it generated.

Be up front -- first in, best dressed.

Word of mouth (which includes bulletin boards) is the best recommendation; small businesses can't afford a bad image.

You can say that mate but for all your opinions....what have you offered constructively... We were up front to a point..... and why and where did you get the bad feeling from I have no idea....?????? are you talking about yourself personally.....how can you speak for others.... We just asked for a simple test..

Every one expects everything for free and based on work done...we only asked for a small test and thats all. I have put many months into this and for someone to expect the same treatment ...for 1 hours work compared to my many months is not fair to me. How you can compare between what effort I have put into this and some one who drives up to expect everthing the same as me......I find astounding to say the least....But at least to the person who did supply the car for the back to back test he is better off for it.

To the rest of the Guys who have at least given the thumbs up thank you...I hope you will all be happy with the results if you choose to take this up when it is finally released. The car feels and drives very nicely..

Tobster
16-03-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm offering constructive criticism of how the process could have been managed -- most of the negative comments come from people not understanding the whole story.

When somebody describes something as "a rip off", I'd call that a negative feeling.

I'm not taking anything away from your efforts and glad that you're happy with the results for your car.

Since the event's all done, let's close this thread...

BiLL|z0r
16-03-2006, 09:56 AM
I'd call a rip off as getting less than what you agreed to/paid for.
Since the person who got the opportunity got more than than agreed to and cost them nuthing but some fuel where's the rip off?
What about those radio/tv compititions that say they are going to do something really bad, but in the end actually give a new tv/car/whatever? Are they a rip off? Are they misleading?

ECU-MAN
16-03-2006, 04:37 PM
misleading yes, rip off, well no.

with out knowing what was offered at the end of the test, I say 50% off a product is a rip off if they are using your car as a gunie pig,

finding out its free after is what you would expect and I guess suprising if you thought you had to fork out for it, and the other voulchers I guess are the bounus in it all.

Omotesando
16-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Well for what was done and what the volunteer got in the end - you got to say that James was very generous.... kudos to that!

Can't wait for it to come out

xtercii
18-03-2006, 10:26 AM
so any idea when is this product gonna come out?

Gibbo
21-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Bump - any one who can tell us this information please let us know an approximate release date and price - I am going stir crazy waitiing to hear something... :)

TwEigh
22-03-2006, 12:37 AM
How much full price hondata reflash will cost?

ProECU
22-03-2006, 08:23 AM
cost: 1 arm and 1 leg