PDA

View Full Version : VTec Light problem

Boban
15-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Hello boys and Girls

I wanted to be cool so i decided to put a Vtec light in my lil civic. Pretty simple stuff. Splice into the wire on the Vtec sensor and connect that to a bulb and connect the oter wire on the bulb to the ground and you are done.

So after doing that, i warmed up my car and toole it out for a spin. It works :cool: , but my engine light (the one with the engine picture) come on. So i immediately shut off the engine and checked everything out, it's all good, nothing blowing up. I started the car up again and everything was fine. So i hit Vtec againg and the light (engine light) didn't come on. So i thought it was all good. But driving again tonight my light came on after i hit Vtec for the 3rd time it came on, so like b4 i turned the car off, inspected it and back on and everything was fine.

So what 'm thinking is that my LED i put on is drawing all the signal out of the Vtec wire and that's messing with the computer. Has anyone else had this problem??? The car still runs fine so i'll keep driving it without hitting Vtec. And i'll also disconnect the light and see if that fixes it.

Thanx for the help and sorry for the novel i just wrote :o

Boban

vtec_jet
15-03-2006, 11:56 PM
well the problems seems 2 be that ur Bulb is eitha NOT a 12 V LED, OR ur Ground is in a shitty place... eitha one.. the LED has 2 be a 12 V..

Boban
15-03-2006, 11:57 PM
how do i find what my LED is, i'll try disconnecting the LED and connecting one of those push in bulbs like the indicator/parkies have and see if that fixes it.

Thanx for the info bro

Boban

vtec_jet
16-03-2006, 12:11 AM
yeh no worriez, jus go to Jay CAR and ask 4 a 12V LED, its costs like 2 bux in the holder and wiring, its kewwll.. lol

Boban
16-03-2006, 11:37 AM
I've just disconeccted the LED from the Vtec wire and everything is normal. I took it above 4500rpm (that's when the LED used to come on) a few times and the engine light stayed off.

Those who have done the Vtec light in their cars, what kind of bulbs/led's did you use. Appreciare all the help vtec jet and others (if any).

Thanx
Boban

According In QLD
16-03-2006, 11:54 AM
different idea... Never heard of a vtec light.

if u get a fix for it and its successful let me know cause i wouldnt mind hooking one up.. :D

baby_c
16-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Boban- pm sent

According IN QLD- vtec light is easy.. theres information about installation in the forums sumwhere

ECU-MAN
16-03-2006, 04:19 PM
make sure you take your signal from A4 on the ecu

thats the 1st connector ( from the left ) 2nd one in from the bottom.

if you use an ordinary LED then use a 680 ohm resistor in series.

Stoosh
16-03-2006, 07:24 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16083&highlight=vtec there is a DIY for it According In QLD

Boban
16-03-2006, 07:37 PM
ECU-MAN i'm not that keen on playing with the ecu and splicing into the wires there. Iu you could send me some pics of which wire or just tell me the colour of it that i'd give it a go there, if not i might jsut run it from the engine bay.

Thanx
Boban

FR33K
16-03-2006, 07:37 PM
i used a spare spot in my cluster and used the cluster bulb.. works like a charm

here http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35505&highlight=vtec+light

Boban
17-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanx for all the help boys and girls. I ended up changing the LED to a different one and all works not.

Thanx again
Boban

dundas
17-03-2006, 05:09 PM
as ecu man suggested, if your using an incorrect LED u may require to put a resistor on it so the power goes through properly.
go to the last page of my old thread. someone has taken their time to add another one.

Boban
18-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanx for all the info guys and girls. I meant to say it's all working now (misstyped it and it say "all working not" <------n00b :(.

But i did notice that with the smaller LED the light comes on at 5k whereas with the bigger one it used to come on around 4.6-4.7

So i was thinking, if i was to stick a big a55 bulb (say from a street lamp) would my Vtec kick in even earlier?? Home made Vtec controler ppl... DIY don't come any better, if you want the Vtec later in the revs just stick in a smaller bulb. If you want it straight away get a big one....simple.

Now b4 you all shoot me, i was just kidding. I am not that stopid to actually do that, but it did get me thinking. Anyways thanx for all the help once again, the problem is fixed so close thread please.

Thanx
Boban