PDA

View Full Version : Summit Light Crank Pulley Review

kimo
16-03-2006, 02:35 AM
Today I have installed Summit light crank pulley. The installation took about 20 minutes, found out that the Summit pulley is a lot lighter than the stock one, and the quality is very good compare to the stock, and it has nice shinny blue color, I also found the stock has no harmonic dampener and both pulleys look the same from inside, so you don't have to worry about it's going to screw your engine. Here are the review. The response feeling is light and fast, the rpm goes up fast and when you take off your feet from the pedal it also goes down fast. Acceleration is a lot better you can feel the car is more aggressive and keeps pulling all the way, and with AC on you don't feel the lag. As for FC I think it will do better as you don't have to press harder at the pedal. For the noise at normal driving is the same like the stock but when you floor it gets a little louder. I have tried it for top speed but there was no much road left to try it, but I used to hit 160 km in 1.6km but after the pulley I get it in 1 km. I think it will help to have more top speed but not that much, another strange thing that the car brakes are better now but don't know what this has to do with the pulley, so there is a big improvement. In my opinion this is the best mod for the car.

Btw my car is 1.3L Idsi auto.

asiansquad
16-03-2006, 11:17 AM
how much and where did u get it from?

any pics??

bennjamin
16-03-2006, 01:54 PM
moved to the articles/reviews forum.

kimo
16-03-2006, 06:36 PM
I got it from Taiwan.

www.summit-racing.com.tw

how much and where did u get it from?

any pics??

roar
19-03-2006, 06:42 PM
the improvements sound very similar to that of a lightened flywheel =P

Zimp13
19-03-2006, 08:46 PM
the improvements sound very similar to that of a lightened flywheel =P

nah pulley is way better....

fusionprelude
07-04-2006, 01:23 PM
does summit make 1 for an A20A engine

Zimp13
09-04-2006, 02:01 AM
does summit make 1 for an A20A engine

wat car using the A20A engine??? sorry....

bennjamin
09-04-2006, 09:53 AM
nah pulley is way better....

please expand on this statement...with any links etc too !

IMO "lighter" pulleys cant have the exact same effect and results of a lighterflywheel. Also , have a lighter pulley has been proven for premature engine wear where as a flywheel has no detrimental effects at all...

Zimp13
09-04-2006, 10:53 AM
please expand on this statement...with any links etc too !

IMO "lighter" pulleys cant have the exact same effect and results of a lighterflywheel. Also , have a lighter pulley has been proven for premature engine wear where as a flywheel has no detrimental effects at all...

i ve tried both and experience first hand...... as premature engine wear, i do believe that it depends on how u drive and look after the car.... even without the lightweight pulley if u always track and never service the car, premature engine wear may incur anyway....

bennjamin
09-04-2006, 11:12 AM
i ve tried both and experience first hand...... as premature engine wear, i do believe that it depends on how u drive and look after the car.... even without the lightweight pulley if u always track and never service the car, premature engine wear may incur anyway....

Ive heard more so the wear it puts on the main bearings from less resistance and "unbalancing" harmonics

Then again..if u run with no oil premature engine wear may incur anyway :confused: ? lol !

Zimp13
09-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Ive heard more so the wear it puts on the main bearings from less resistance and "unbalancing" harmonics

Then again..if u run with no oil premature engine wear may incur anyway :confused: ? lol !

i ve double checked with a 50 plus year old mechanics who worked for Honda and on Honda cars for more 25 years (he built race cars and races as well), he said definitely no problem with lightweight pulley. Thats becos the light weight pulley itself is balanced. Only difference with the oem one is the weight. How can a balanced yet lighter pulley cause any "unbalance" harmonics to occur?

after installing the lightweight pulley, the throttle of the car is a lot lighter, rpm goes up and down faster. i cant feel as much improvement in the lightened flywheel (although i love the feeling when changing the gear after using the lightened flywheel as the rpm becomes smoother, not jerking when downshift).

i just know that theorically if everything is balanced, how can "unbalance" harmonics occurs? as for the premature engine wear, as i mentioned before, if the car is serviced well (change oil every 5000kms the most on the dot), i doubt there is any issue with the engine wear.

Bennjamin, dun b confused.... we can only try our best to look after the engine rite??? have some fun.... ;)

bennjamin
09-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Ive heard many different stories ~ point is , the main "puilley" is a harmonic balancer for the engine ( not relevant to ALL engines mond you tho!) so ofcourse changing the weight of this object will change the balance characteristics.
Perhaps then there is precautions to run by or other parts to change too.
Anyone running a lightweight pulley for a long time out there ?!?

Zimp13
09-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Ive heard many different stories ~ point is , the main "puilley" is a harmonic balancer for the engine ( not relevant to ALL engines mond you tho!) so ofcourse changing the weight of this object will change the balance characteristics.
Perhaps then there is precautions to run by or other parts to change too.
Anyone running a lightweight pulley for a long time out there ?!?

most jazzes in singapore have changed to lightweight pulleys so far its been more than a year and havent heard of any problem yet... is that consider long enuf???

fusionprelude
12-04-2006, 10:12 AM
wat car using the A20A engine??? sorry....
its a 87 prelude si sohc 2L

NeRV
12-04-2006, 10:27 AM
correct be if im wrong but doesnt the prelude use a b20 engine?

fusionprelude
12-04-2006, 12:38 PM
correct be if im wrong but doesnt the prelude use a b20 engine?
nah its got a A20A for sum reason its weird coz every1 says it should hav the B20a in it

kayot1k
20-04-2006, 12:24 AM
i agree with benji on the premature engine wear.
keep away from these cheap mods i reckon, better off with the lighten flywheel combo.
Lighten crank pulley on my supercharger did cause some premature wear.
but who cares when your boosting 14psi ay.

dacbietcrx
20-04-2006, 10:06 AM
do u know if they make it for the d16a8?

blk_shadow
29-05-2006, 02:21 AM
i agree with benji on the premature engine wear.
keep away from these cheap mods i reckon, better off with the lighten flywheel combo.
Lighten crank pulley on my supercharger did cause some premature wear.
but who cares when your boosting 14psi ay.

does that mean premature engine wear will occur on even an N/A engine with lightened pulley?

and you're saying that this mod is basically useless and will only wear the engine out? cos I'm thinking to install this myself. I need some proven facts.

connorling
31-12-2009, 03:51 PM
the pulley itself is balanced, everything itself is balanced, but the overall engine is not, think of it as the macro- object is not balanced even micro-object is balanced.

it wears the engine out, but it gives more power during that time, cos less effort from the engine to run it

xtan
08-01-2010, 10:53 PM
i ve double checked with a 50 plus year old mechanics who worked for Honda and on Honda cars for more 25 years (he built race cars and races as well), he said definitely no problem with lightweight pulley. Thats becos the light weight pulley itself is balanced. Only difference with the oem one is the weight. How can a balanced yet lighter pulley cause any "unbalance" harmonics to occur?

after installing the lightweight pulley, the throttle of the car is a lot lighter, rpm goes up and down faster. i cant feel as much improvement in the lightened flywheel (although i love the feeling when changing the gear after using the lightened flywheel as the rpm becomes smoother, not jerking when downshift).

i just know that theorically if everything is balanced, how can "unbalance" harmonics occurs? as for the premature engine wear, as i mentioned before, if the car is serviced well (change oil every 5000kms the most on the dot), i doubt there is any issue with the engine wear.

Bennjamin, dun b confused.... we can only try our best to look after the engine rite??? have some fun.... ;)

I second this, took alot of time searching for answers regarding the usual "throw engine out of balance" heard this over so many forums. I asked my Honda mech this same question (he has been working for about 30years+, built honda race engines and is still working at Honda as a mechanic) he has installed these on alot of track cars brought into Honda Melville he hasn't come across a problem about this yet, however he has told me you will sacrifice some small things, idle quality, the oem harmonic pulley has some rubber on it that dampens vibration ect ect, he said it would be very small but its the sacrifice you make to do these mods.

Hope this helps.

lookingforboost
07-02-2010, 08:17 PM
correct me if i am wrong but when you rebuild a motor and they balance the crank shaft they do so with out the pulley on it.

so if your bottom end is perfectly balanced then you fit a prefectly balanced lightweight crank pulley then the whole thing will be in balance just with a lighter then stock version so i am unsure as to how this is supposed to affect the wear on the engine.

people have been running GFB light weight crank power steering and alternator pulleys for years on WRX's most of these engine up to 250-300KW and never had a problem