PDA

View Full Version : (Euro) Stereo Noise

nitro
16-03-2006, 07:42 AM
I just installed a Denison IceLink Plus into our 03 Lux, and I noticed a background buzzing type noise from the stereo... it's quite strange, when you turn the volume down to "-", the noise disappears, as soon as you turn the volume to 1 the noise appears, and remains constant in volume right up to max volume (this is obviously with no music playing). If it was just general background noise from the stereo it should increase as the volume is turned up... I don't know if this noise is common to other Euro's - or even if it existed before I installed the IceLink - I tried disconnecting the IceLink, but the noise was the same - I can't think I ever sat in the Euro with the engine off and the stereo on very quietly before I was installing the IceLink. The noise appears regardless of input selected - radio, CD or CDC. It's got me completely baffled, and while it isn't very noticeable - I assume you can't hear it all whilst driving and it get's drowned out by the music once you get to 6 or 7 volume - now that I know it's there it's gunna bug me...

BTW, the IceLink is very easy to install, the hardest part is getting the compartment below the stereo out... I'm happy with the IceLink too, controlling the iPod from the stereo is pathetic as I suspected, but it works nicely controlling the iPod from the iPod, and allows the steering wheel buttons to track skip still (as well as switching off the ipod when you turn the stereo off).

EuroDude
17-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Have you installed any new power cables to power the icelink/ipod? The audio cables will act as an antenna and pickup nearby electromagnetic interference from the power cables and cause amplified buzzing through the sound system. In your case, the speaker cables could be affected since the buzzing volume doesnt change.

Maybe relocating the cables will resolve the problem.

EuroAccord13
17-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Although the problem is coming from the Euro, I will move it to the Audio section where the audioheads can help you with this problem as it sounds like it might not be related to the Euro's sound system :)

CHEERS

ICACHA
17-03-2006, 10:05 PM
factory euro deck will give you noise and i say this when you connect an amp to it.

from what i can gather you have no amp but a something or other connected to it to play mp3's?

if you dont have an amp connected then the only thing it can be it the thing you connected, if you have an amp then i would point the finger at your deck inducing the noise. it can also be where you have tapped into to get the unit to power up if it requires a 12v source.

and yes we all know how good OEM decks are not regardless who puts their name on it not to mention Mark Levinson AKA Pioneer :)

EuroDude
26-03-2006, 08:24 PM
http://www.poweracoustik.com/SUPPORT/installation/images/noisediagram.jpg

stanleym
26-03-2006, 10:05 PM
factory euro deck will give you noise and i say this when you connect an amp to it.

from what i can gather you have no amp but a something or other connected to it to play mp3's?

if you dont have an amp connected then the only thing it can be it the thing you connected, if you have an amp then i would point the finger at your deck inducing the noise. it can also be where you have tapped into to get the unit to power up if it requires a 12v source.

and yes we all know how good OEM decks are not regardless who puts their name on it not to mention Mark Levinson AKA Pioneer :)

haha my dad owns the lexus sc430 with the leviso system stock haha it does sound good but i didn't kno it was all pioneer hahaha he always has a go sayi his system is betta but ow i can suggest that his 160g car is not really much betta than my 10g car witha a 1g system in it hahahaha

ICACHA
27-03-2006, 10:06 AM
well I must admit that maybe not all are Pioneer, some might be Fujitsu Ten. if you ever want to confirm, most of the amps will be located left hand side of the glovebox. not an easy task by all means to remove it :)

Saxphile
08-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi nitro,

I just started a thread about the same problem in my Euro (see http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41379. IMHO it is a common problem with the OEM head unit. From the information I've gathered, getting an aftermarket head unit might be the only solution.

Have you made any progress with your car?

curik
14-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Hi there, this static noise is just unbearable and I am shocked not all euro drivers even complain about it. Maybe we should install the Pivot Raizin Sound electric stabilizer? HELLO euroers out there, do you guys notice this problem too????

EuroDude
14-08-2006, 06:09 PM
No probs with my 06 head unit. The problem only existed with the earlier euro's I believe

Saxphile
14-08-2006, 07:35 PM
No probs with my 06 head unit. The problem only existed with the earlier euro's I believe

You're right. I testdrove the '06 model and it doesn't have that problem. I was hoping to find out exactly what the differences are from the '03 unit, but Honda told me that there's a new unit # for the '06 HU, and it would cost $1000+ to replace the damn thing.

What is Pivot Raizin Sound electric stabilizer? Does anyone have experiences with it?

curik
14-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Well I am going to install one. For AU $80, not too bad. Will notify if it gets rid of the noise

Saxphile
14-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Well I am going to install one. For AU $80, not too bad. Will notify if it gets rid of the noise

I look forward to hearing from you. BTW, are you getting it installed in a shop or can it be ordered on the internet? I need to know because I'm across the pond.

curik
14-08-2006, 07:57 PM
its very simple to install and almost everyone can DIT. There is one seller, here it is http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28771

Saxphile
14-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Looks interesting. Let me know how it turns out. Cheers.

curik
02-09-2006, 09:07 PM
No good. The noise is coming from the HU. Even with auxilliaries and engine off the noise is still there. I have Focal 165A components at the front, a bad installation might have caused the noise. Nitro, its not the Icelink too, I removed mine and the noise is still there. DO you have any aftermarket speakers? If not, this can be an issue with 03-04 euros. I am going to get my car to a dealer and ask them to fix it.

Saxphile
02-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Figured as much. The noise was there from the day I picked up my car, and I went through every single Euro in the dealership - they all had the noise. The service manager agreed with me that the noise exists, but he thinks it's more pronounced in cars with premium speakers (factory option). He has talked to Honda NZ, whom after two years decided to call it a "feature". My direct inquiries with Honda NZ HQ has gone unanswered so far, so I've pretty much given up till I tried the '06 Euro, which didn't have this noise, proving that this problem can be fixed. Although it may very well be that '06 models use a different HU (the part number has changed). I should also note that this problem does not exist in '04 Acura TSX, which uses a different HU. And I have read some reports about this problem in US-spec Accords, which I assume use the same HU as our Accord Euro.

curik, don't worry about you mods - I don't think they're the cause. If you get anywhere with your dealer, please let me know, especially if they figure out a way to fix this.

I'm always amazed at how few people actually notice this (perhaps proving that most people just listen to crap radio stations as a background sound). Granted it's not really noticable unless one listens to quiet music - perhaps I just have hyper sensitive hearing or something. Perhaps we should stop telling people about this - ignorance is bliss, you know. ;)

aaronng
03-09-2006, 01:09 AM
Figured as much. The noise was there from the day I picked up my car, and I went through every single Euro in the dealership - they all had the noise. The service manager agreed with me that the noise exists, but he thinks it's more pronounced in cars with premium speakers (factory option). He has talked to Honda NZ, whom after two years decided to call it a "feature". My direct inquiries with Honda NZ HQ has gone unanswered so far, so I've pretty much given up till I tried the '06 Euro, which didn't have this noise, proving that this problem can be fixed. Although it may very well be that '06 models use a different HU (the part number has changed). I should also note that this problem does not exist in '04 Acura TSX, which uses a different HU. And I have read some reports about this problem in US-spec Accords, which I assume use the same HU as our Accord Euro.

curik, don't worry about you mods - I don't think they're the cause. If you get anywhere with your dealer, please let me know, especially if they figure out a way to fix this.

I'm always amazed at how few people actually notice this (perhaps proving that most people just listen to crap radio stations as a background sound). Granted it's not really noticable unless one listens to quiet music - perhaps I just have hyper sensitive hearing or something. Perhaps we should stop telling people about this - ignorance is bliss, you know. ;)
Interesting. I listen exclusively to CDs in my car including some orchestra ones and I didn't notice noise nor hissing. The low notes did send my speaker cover buzzing though!

curik
03-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Not all euros have this problem. I think only the 03-04 have it. My friend's 05 doesnt have any noise at all even when the volume is turned up to max. The noise in my car gets very audible if you turn the volume near to the max. Something isnt normal.

Saxophone, I made this a big fuss since the noise is ANNOYING as when you listen to classics or quiet music at low volume the noise is just driving me nuts. Is your stereo stock in any way?

EuroDude
08-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Well after changing the stock 6x9's to a decent 3-way set, I have the exact same problem with my MY06 Euro ... constant hissing noise from Volume 1 thru to about 20, then volume hiss takes over.

Seems like they may have improved the hissing noise problem on the MY06 models, but can still be amplified/heard with rear speakers that output high treble.

Setup = Honda HU -> IceLink -> HighLevel speaker input using the stock euro speaker cables -> Amp - > 6x9's

...wander if replacing the thin stock rear speaker wires would improve the noise.

Saxphile
08-11-2006, 02:41 PM
My stereo set up is stock except for the premium speakers, which as I said was a factory option. I do know that adding an amp is guaranteed to make the hiss very noticeable, so if you've gone down that road I'm afraid the hiss is something you'll have to live with. If you can hear the hiss with stock setup, I guess the consolation is in knowing that you have bat-like hearing.

EuroDude, your comment is very interesting, and I think it probably proves that the problem is with the crappy HU Honda uses (albeit less crappy for MY06). I haven't really solved the problem, but since I got my iPod hooked up I mostly listen to podcasts and audiobook, so it's not as much a bother as before. :P

EuroDude
08-11-2006, 02:48 PM
I see. Maybe covering the tweeters with bluetac will help :p

I may try replacing the wires anyway, at least to avoid general interference.

Saxphile
08-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Well, good luck and do let us know if you got anywhere.

curik
15-11-2006, 02:03 PM
so any updates? could the headunit has a flaw somewhere? I can take advantage of my warranty lol

EuroDude
15-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Interesting. I listen exclusively to CDs in my car including some orchestra ones and I didn't notice noise nor hissing. The low notes did send my speaker cover buzzing though!

Mine wasnt hissing at all, until I replaced the rear 6x9's with decent 3-way speakers.

curik
15-11-2006, 02:27 PM
so dude, until you replaced the rear 6x9? have you tried unplugging them? I tried to unplug them and the noise is still there. But I also replaced my front 6.5 with 2 way separate speakers.

EuroDude
15-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Havent tried unplugging them yet. Funny thing is, I have new 2Way speakers at the front as well, but I dont hear the hissing noise out of them (they are running straight off the honda deck).

I'm using the stock rear speaker wires for my Amp's input (I'm not using RCA's), maybe they are gathering interference and causing the hissing... Replacing the crappy wires with good insulated wire may solve the problem.

curik
07-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Went into my friend's 04 the other day and his stereo had a similar noise too, but in my other friend's 05 it's clean. So maybe the 04 had a problem with the stereo noise?

Kiwi
09-03-2007, 10:37 PM
It's a problem with all the Euro's. I've got an 06 and noticed the very slight hissing even with a completely stock system. If you dont hear it then it just means that you're either tone deaf or not picky enough :)

I'm using a LOC and aftermarket amps/EQ's etc and it's taken a lot of messing around with all the gains to reduce the amplified 'hiss' below audible levels.

Saxphile
10-03-2007, 09:55 AM
It's a problem with all the Euro's. I've got an 06 and noticed the very slight hissing even with a completely stock system. If you dont hear it then it just means that you're either tone deaf or not picky enough :)

I'm using a LOC and aftermarket amps/EQ's etc and it's taken a lot of messing around with all the gains to reduce the amplified 'hiss' below audible levels.

If you don't mind me asking - how much did all that cost you? Although I finding the idea of using aftermarket amps/EQlizer to REDUCE noise ironic, I'm willing to give this a try. I just don't feel like getting an aftermarket HU and giving up the remove controls on the steering wheel and storage space.

I've actually tried a '06 Euro, and I can definitely say that I didn't notice any hiss. It may be that I didn't spend enough time in that car, but the hiss in '03 Euro is deafening.

Kiwi
10-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Trust me the noise is there on the 06.. although maybe less.

Hahah and I'm not using my gear to reduce the noise.. why would I do that. It's just that if you want to use the factory HU and want a 'perfect' noiseless system, then you shouldnt even try :)

That being said, its still pretty good.. you just have to go easy on the input voltage to the EQ's and amps.

Oh and I did the install myself using gear I already had. Just bought a Navone LOC to keep the factory HU.

Here's a pic... Sub is in a fibreglass box on the right hand side

Saxphile
11-03-2007, 05:36 AM
Damn that's one clean installation. You wouldn't happen to do this for a living, would you? I wouldn't want to give up split folding though, so I might just wait and see if there's an aftermarket HU that allows me to use teh remote controls. :)

Kiwi
11-03-2007, 09:28 PM
LOL no its really a pretty basic install and didnt take too long to put together. BTW the seats still fold forward independantly, I didnt want to lose that :)

The amp rack is just bolted to the back of the left hand seat. It uses spaces to make it look flush.. the wiring is hidden in the cavity between the rack and the seat.

cutchorama
28-05-2007, 01:17 PM
I just installed a Dension Icelink R3 Ipod adapter into my car (2005 euro) as well. After the install my speakers started to buzz/whistle and the strange thing was that they seemed to change pitch with the RPM of the car.

I have heard that it is a common problem with some cars. It has something to do with the alternator (the thing that charges your battery). By removing my battery during the install and reseting to factory default, I am wondering if this could have been the reason for it to start.

I am taking in my car to the dealer in 2 days time. Until then I will ask my brother who is a mechanic and also search like crazy. It is most obvious between songs in that 1 second of silence.

aaronng
28-05-2007, 02:37 PM
If the whistling starts after you installed the Icelink, then I am inclined to think that the icelink has poor grounding/circuit design. Maybe the input is live all the time even when not set to AUX.

cutchorama
28-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Yea I am assuming it is touching another grounding cradle and picking up feedback from another wire in my dash. I am going to rip out her guts again and make sure no wires a bare and hopefully fix it. I don't think the dension adapter is earthed unless it is earthed through the HU.

I am going to work on it on the weekend, I will let you know how it goes...

Euro2005
31-05-2007, 04:21 PM
I upgraded my Honda Euro sound in Febuary 2005

The system is still brilliant, the sound quality is fabulous.
I am still using the same head unit and steering wheel controls that came with the Euro. To look at the car you can not tell anything has changed.

I had it all done by Northfield Moorooka - Absolutely Terrific Service
Full Installation, All wiring Etc, No Cutting
http://www.northfieldmoorooka.com.au

Front Door Speakers and Tweeters - Focal 165 V Slim
The BEST and ONLY Speakers That Will Fit With Out Cutting .
Focal Polyglass speakers use one of the most unique woofer cone materials that we have ever come across. Focal uses a unique process to deposit a layer of hollow silica micro-balls over specialized pulp cellulose cones. This unique material, which feels a lot like sand paper, neutralizes the effect of standing waves along the surface. Polyglass stiffens the cone while significantly increasing neutrality and imaging qualities. The unique 1-3/4" TN 45 tweeter features Focals unique inverted titanium dome design which provides far better mechanical coupling to the voice coil than regular dome tweeter designs. This creates an upper end with resolution and detail that other tweeters simply cant touch. The tweeters come complete with accessories for flush or surface mounting. All Focal products are handcrafted in France, with every component manufactured in-house under the tightest quality control standards. Designed to fit oversized 7" 4-hole openings.
http://www.focalaustralia.com.au/polyglass.htm

Back Speakers 6x9 - Eclipse SE8493
Key Features
Size: 6 ? 9" 4-Way
Continuous Power Handling: 75W
Music Power Handling: 150W
Frequency Response: 50Hz-40Hz
Sensitivity: 98dB
Cone Material: Mica/Poly
Surround Material: Rubber
Voice Coil Former: Kapton
Midrange Dome: Mylar
Tweeter Dome: Mylar
Super-Tweeter Dome: Mylar
Tweeter Magnet Material: Neodymium
Woofer Magnet Material: Ferrite
Mounting Depth: 3 1/16"
http://www.eclipse-web.com/

Amplifier - Alpine MRP-F240
V-Power 4/3/2 Channel Power Amplifier
This 4 channel V-Power amplifier delivers exceptionally high performance and detailed control. Combined with Alpine's famous sound quality, it's versatility will allow it to adapt to many configurations.
# 75W x 4 (Max)
# 100W x 2 RMS [4Ohms - Bridged @ 14.4V (0.3% THD)]
# 50W x 4 RMS [2Ohms @ 14.4V (0.3% THD)]
# 40W x 4 RMS [4Ohms @ 14.4V (0.08% THD)]
# Bass engine
# HP/LP Crossover
# Bass EQ (Variable Ch-3/4)
# RCA or Speaker Level Inputs
# MOSFET Output Transistors
http://www.alpine.com.au/

RCA Connector & Electrical Noise Eliminator - Peripheral Sven4

Best channel Audio Converter available---period!
The sven4 line level converter is the only LLC that we have found that does not introduce engine noise to the system in a Euro. inc, alpine, cali gold, and a few others. (same with BMW systems.)
For the Ultimate in Sound Quality and Signal transfer the SVEN4 is the Only Solution.
The SVEN4 was recently awarded the coveted innovations award at the 2004 Consumer Electronics Association Show.
Four channel Premium Sound Interfacing Device.
RCA level or speaker level input or output. The SVEN4 is perfectly suited for replacing the factory amplified system and retaining the OEM radio or for Premium OEM head-unit replacement. It can also be used as a standard line output converter. (LOC applications require vehicle specific sound harness--sold seperately).
NOTE: 60 watts maximum input per channel.

It all works perfectly and sounds AWESOME

aaronng
31-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Nice, how much did it cost all up?

Euro2005
01-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Nice, how much did it cost all up?

About $1600 for all parts and full install.

cutchorama
02-06-2007, 10:46 AM
does the sven4 include ipod connection including controls through the stock HU controls and steering wheel? $1600 seems like a very good price for it all, I might chase it up a bit more.

Euro2005
03-06-2007, 01:11 PM
does the sven4 include ipod connection including controls through the stock HU controls and steering wheel? $1600 seems like a very good price for it all, I might chase it up a bit more.

Not sure, ask http://www.northfieldmoorooka.com.au/