PDA

View Full Version : Eg gearbox and lsd question

EG6_SiR
16-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Hey guys

I just got a new excedy clutch put in my eg6, so i thought that would fix it. then i just found out that there is another problem, apperently my lsd may have some issues, spline may be broken. Damm cars arrrghhh.

So wondering what options I have?

Aftermarket lsd, how much could that be, and where can I find one?

Finding another B16A gearbox, does anyone know of someone with one?

Thanks guys :wave:

todaek9
16-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Change to a full lock after market LSD.
last time cost me around 1100aud. KAAZ.

barefootbonzai
16-03-2006, 11:35 AM
are you even sure your geabox has lsd? If so how do you know it's broken? What was the problem to begin with?

EG6_SiR
16-03-2006, 11:59 AM
It is an eg6, so they come stock with lsd, it is at the workshop now, the clutch was only instaled yesterday, now they tell me it isnt moving much at all. Damm idiots. lol. So know i need to know, what should i do? either get new box, or replace the lsd, or whatever is broken in it. So if anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Chi
16-03-2006, 12:08 PM
It is an eg6, so they come stock with lsd, it is at the workshop now, the clutch was only instaled yesterday, now they tell me it isnt moving much at all. Damm idiots. lol. So know i need to know, what should i do? either get new box, or replace the lsd, or whatever is broken in it. So if anyone has any ideas that would be great.

No, EG6 dont come stock with LSD, it was a factory option.

But anyways i heardthe OBX ones are quite good for its price as aftermarket .

EG6_SiR
16-03-2006, 12:10 PM
ummm i have no idea then, i wish we new exactly what was in it, someone told me that, i have no real idea myself what is in it yet, soon to find out. Is it easy to tell when they pull it apart?

EG6_SiR
16-03-2006, 12:14 PM
actually when i did a burnout recently lmao, idiot i know. both wheels spun, and i went up to second gear... so maybe I have lsd?

Rufes1
16-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeh weq got an OBX one for his EG, was pretty cheap but hasnt been run yet..

Maybe give him a pm if u want more info

bennjamin
16-03-2006, 01:29 PM
actually when i did a burnout recently lmao, idiot i know. both wheels spun, and i went up to second gear... so maybe I have lsd?

that is stupid....and non factual anyway.

Find out for sure - but taking one of the driveshafts out of the diff housing...and tell us if there is a small bar across the inside {non lsd], or if it is empty ( you can see the other driveshaft) lsd)

EG6_SiR
16-03-2006, 02:19 PM
IT IS LSD, so now i need i new gearbox, anyone know of anyone with one for sale? preferably the same as i had y21, which is lsd... (eg6 1994 civ, B16a)

Because replacing the lsd will be to expensive, wont it? or can I? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks guys

egSi
16-03-2006, 02:39 PM
damn that sucks dave, go aftermarket man. a b16 tranny will be heaps i think

e240
16-03-2006, 02:41 PM
It is an eg6, so they come stock with lsd,

No they don't.... cheers

EG6_SiR
16-03-2006, 02:43 PM
yea sucks definately man, got my Rp01s 16" up for sale now to, pay for this, damm cars.
Does anyone know who stocks obx lsd's then or any other brands i should try, dont want to spend that much considering that, im already over 1200 and havent even fixed the problem....

e240
16-03-2006, 04:02 PM
yea sucks definately man, got my Rp01s 16" up for sale now to, pay for this, damm cars.
Does anyone know who stocks obx lsd's then or any other brands i should try, dont want to spend that much considering that, im already over 1200 and havent even fixed the problem....

I am using an OBX LSD. I'm very happy with it. Mail ordered it from the States at <$600 AUD.

Initial problems were that the shafts get stuck but this can be avoided by machining it appropriately before installing it.

I'm surprised that its costing you over 1200! Is this just labour alone? 00

alternatively, you could just re-install an original diff.

Could you get pics of the LSD unit? Some of us could eyeball it and advise if you're getting ripped.

EG6_SiR
16-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Yea well the 1200 is the running total so far, 745 for clutch and install, now i have to once again pay for it to be riped out again and installed again.

I am tending towards re installing a original diff... so have no idea who has one of those now....

I will try to get pics, its a bit hard considering that i hav no wheels....damm.

EG5[KRT]
16-03-2006, 06:30 PM
haha ur getting picked on by the bitch moderator :P lol

"this is stupid" :D

neways yeah kaaz lsd is supposed to b pretty good but yeah expensive .. 2nd hand boxes are pretty expensive but they could also have the same problem.

so its up 2 u ey
id rater get teh car home and take out the box and get it redone altogether.

EG5
16-03-2006, 10:40 PM
ummm i have no idea then, i wish we new exactly what was in it, someone told me that, i have no real idea myself what is in it yet, soon to find out. Is it easy to tell when they pull it apart?

Easiest way is to pull the axles out and check it out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/YonasLiu/NonLSD_2.jpg
If you see this 'bar' , your tranny is equipped with a stock differential.

While the tranny is off the engine, take a look in the differential area. If you can see straight through it, WITHOUT any obstruction in the way...

You have an LSD equipped tranny.

Hope this little info help abit.

EG6_SiR
16-03-2006, 10:41 PM
thanks man, your a champion

EG5
16-03-2006, 10:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/YonasLiu/LSDStamp_2.jpg

A real easy way to see if you have an LSD tranny, is to look for the 'LSD' stamp on the front facial area seen here..

B-series Hydro type (ITR) tranny shown on pic

The 'LSD' stamp could be decieving at times, if you're not careful. Some bad people like to pull out the LSD, replace it with a stock diff. and resell it saying the tranny IS LSD equipped, when it's actually not. That's why looking throught the differential hole is the sure way of knowing your buying an LSD equipped tranny. So be careful...

EG6_SiR
17-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Yep It Is Lsd, So If Anyone Has A Gearbox For Sale Give Me A Yell, Thanks.

vinhy
17-03-2006, 12:18 PM
just wondering where are u getting this done at.. cause i would get someone u trust

EG6_SiR
17-03-2006, 12:22 PM
western suburbs gearbox and something, they are ok, dont fully trust em, but cause they have done most of the work and now my box is setting on their table, i cant really take away the car, the first price for clutch and labour is actually pretty good considering they were around 100-150 cheaper for labour. so yea if anyone else know may have a gearbox please let me know, i hav been on the phone all morning to melbourne and sydney, still no real luck...

vtec>turbo
20-03-2006, 01:12 AM
bennjaminn id like to see ur eg5 pull a 20metre long 2-legger skid

stupid

Chi
20-03-2006, 01:26 AM

stupid

What if the LSD is broken or worn how can you test it then?

You should call yourself stupid.

Zilli
20-03-2006, 09:42 AM
i was always under the impression that if your trying to do a hard launch, or maybe in the wet, if both wheels hook up then thats the lsb working to put traction to bith wheels as its sensing slip to one of the two...

so technically, if he did a "burnout" and both wheels were spinning, wouldnt this be a crude way of checking if it has lsd?

bennjamin
20-03-2006, 10:41 AM

stupid

You guys lack the instant response (common sense?) why its "stupid" to do a burnout to "test" if you have a LSD. I know if i accellerate abit too had in the wet both wheels will spin...i have a LSD ? :thumbdwn:

Its NOT because its not 100% factual (as chi said above) - doing burnouts is illegal and silly and will blow things up.

Do as i said earlier and EG5 replied to find out for sure :)

EG6_SiR
20-03-2006, 01:25 PM
This was sorted out ages ago, it for sure has a lsd, and we now know that for a fact (now i want a ITR box, so i have diff final drive as well). And I think the lsd blew because i was on an angle because of the coilovers, this meant that all the force was on the one wheel, so that is why it probably went bang. And for being stupid, watever its my car not urs, and it was on private land, so there mr sensible.

bennjamin
20-03-2006, 01:36 PM
each thread is in here as info for every other person too , not just ur own situation remember :)

vtec>turbo
23-03-2006, 12:05 AM
benjapindick and chi: what stupid things to say.

as if he did a burnout just to check if it had lsd. he obviously did it to muck around and now wanting to figure out for sure, remembers that indeed it did spin both wheels on dry bitumen. it was not a test at all. ppl do burnouts. it was done ages ago. please dont try and tell us all u have never done one. obviously if u havnt be4, u havnt driven a fast car. why does that not surprise us???

mod dude: u dont understand. and please dont question my common sense mate. mr lets-judge-whether-rollcages-are-good-on-rubbish-jazz's-with-cut-springs-and-2dollar-rollcages-from-supercheap.

think about things before u open ur mouth.

bennjamin
23-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Common sense is not what he had , and he has accepted that- and he is over it liek the rest of us.
Grow up vtec>turbo and dont resolve to name calling and confidence building ~ this is a friendly forum and we as a whole intend to keep it that way , without members like you introducing aggression.

Re-read what myself and others have said and there is no reason for your childish reply.

Peace ~ good luck for EG6_SIR finding another LSD

Closed