PDA

View Full Version : Coilover Sleeves

Ru$kI
16-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Hey guys :) ,

I've been looking into this setup for my suspension:

Koni Shocks (red)
Koni Coilover Sleeves

I don't really want the full coilovers since i dont race my car or take it to the track, i just want it to look lowered...and have the option of altering the ride height, to tailor it to my prefference....since i dun wanna b in the position where i lower 1.5" and then realise i cant go in2 my driveway due 2 my front lip or that i wish i lowered it more r sumfn. Reason for Koni reds is i dont want to have a stiff ride & want to have ride comfort.

Firstly, what do you guys think of the coilover sleeves? since i hear they seem 2 snap pretty easy...but since these are koni's i figure they shud b fine...rite?

Also, i called up ozzy Tyres today and got quoted $2500 :eek: for that setup...which is WAAAAY over my budget. I thought that this setup will cost between $1000 - $1500, or is my estimate way off track? :confused:

bennjamin
16-03-2006, 10:14 AM
imo , just stick with the koni reds + some nice springs ( even stock springs will be lowered about 20-25mm)

The konis should be under $700...the coilover sleeves u can get from EBAY or overseas for about $300ish landed.
And labour...well i can do that very cheap for you too :)

Thats about maybe $1100 or so...

moved to sussy/handling

Ru$kI
16-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Thing is my car has done bout 80,000km and the springs and shocks have never been changed...so theyr basically dead, hence i gotta change both of em...so i cant leave the stock springs as u suggested.

Where can i find Koni reds for ~ $700? Also for the springs...if im not gonna go coilover sleeves...then ill go with King Low springs i guess since i hear the koni / king setup is pretty good.

Still with the sleeves...do you know of any places in Sydney that sell them for a decent price, being under $500?

Zdster
16-03-2006, 10:34 AM
PM Trav (egsi) he should be able to get you a competitive quote of konis.

As Ben said, I would highly suggest you stay away from coilover sleeves. From all of that I have read, the konis are great when paired with an equal spring and are meant to be worth the money. Another alternative is to consider looking at second hand coilovers. Not sure if you want to go that way, but might be worth looking into?

bennjamin
16-03-2006, 10:51 AM
PM Trav (egsi) he should be able to get you a competitive quote of konis.

As Ben said, I would highly suggest you stay away from coilover sleeves. From all of that I have read, the konis are great when paired with an equal spring and are meant to be worth the money. Another alternative is to consider looking at second hand coilovers. Not sure if you want to go that way, but might be worth looking into?

konis are simply lower level versions of the koni yellows. From what i remember ( please correct me if wrong!) they are oil internals (yellows are gas + oil) and also arent damper adjustable. You still have 3/2 levels of height adjustment.
Mated with decent springs they will still feel alot firmer than stock shocks !

IMO , stay away from any second hand coilovers...bad experience here , and its simply not worth it overall.

Zdster
16-03-2006, 12:34 PM
IMO , stay away from any second hand coilovers...bad experience here , and its simply not worth it overall.

It is probably more a question of luck. I have mates with second hand coilovers and they are all fine. The problem is the difficulty in testing if they are good or not and you have to take the word of the seller.

|N|
16-03-2006, 12:44 PM
get it rite the first time .. dun be tight .. coz u ll end up spending more

z3lda
16-03-2006, 03:43 PM
koni's are $800 + kings super lows $200 or sleeves $300. total gonna cost roughly $1000.

u can buy omni fully adjustable height and 6 way dampers coilovers for $1000.

THE_MASS
17-03-2006, 08:42 AM
for the money that you want to spend you might aswell get full coilovers that will give you the option of doing what ever you want :)

Ru$kI
17-03-2006, 09:46 AM
omni coilovers for $1000????? where??? I've heard omni are very decent.

I've barred the idea of sleeves since they are impossible 2 find and its just too many hassles with them.

These are my current choices:

1. Koni Shocks (red) + Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs - $1230
2. Tein Coilovers - $1480

Also how much should i expect to pay for installation??? $200???

koni's are $800 + kings super lows $200 or sleeves $300. total gonna cost roughly $1000.

u can buy omni fully adjustable height and 6 way dampers coilovers for $1000.

Zdster
17-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Ben should be able to do the install for you since you are in Sydney or you could do them yourself.

For that price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OMNI-POWER-DRAG-FULL-COILOVER-HONDA-CIVIC-96-00-EK_W0QQitemZ8023926970QQcategoryZ33586QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

That is just one seller though - check out ebay :thumbsup:.

Ru$kI
17-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Zdster...thnx 4 the link! You reckon i could find any omni resellers in Australia? dont feel like praying thru the roof for international shipping. Also these are drag coilovers....are there any 'normal' coilovers made by omni, or something more ride comfort based??

Zdster
17-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Zdster...thnx 4 the link! You reckon i could find any omni resellers in Australia? dont feel like praying thru the roof for international shipping. Also these are drag coilovers....are there any 'normal' coilovers made by omni, or something more ride comfort based??

I think there are 'normal' coilovers. I did see one seller on ebay but he was asking more than that auction price. I think one of the traders was selling omni products so might be worth a search.

z3lda
17-03-2006, 11:54 AM
i sourced my omni's locally. they are on my car atm and they are fully height adjustable including perch and 6 way damper adjustalbe.

pm me if ur interesed
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/z3lda/asdsaddasasdsdasdaa.jpg

chameleon
17-03-2006, 01:08 PM
IMO omni spring rates are way too high for road use.
How do you find them zelda?
bumpy?

BRU51N
18-03-2006, 04:16 AM
konis are simply lower level versions of the koni yellows. From what i remember ( please correct me if wrong!) they are oil internals (yellows are gas + oil) and also arent damper adjustable. You still have 3/2 levels of height adjustment.

Mated with decent springs they will still feel alot firmer than stock shocks !

yeh thats correct, the yellows are gas+oil, and the reds are actually cheaper than the yellows...

the new owner of my old accord recently purchased a set of reds for $650. they do the job for the street. they are not damper adjustable etc..
they are just shorter shocks, for more travel on your lowered springs.

these would be ideal for street driving. as they are affordable and still retain the comfiness of the ride. (nothing to firm)

sifoo
19-03-2006, 06:03 PM
how in the world would they 'snap'?