PDA

View Full Version : Oil catch can level

SKREMN
18-03-2006, 02:23 PM
I just installed my oil catch can today
now i'm wating for it to catch some oil
i know i'm not going to catch much too soon but when can i expect to see somehting in there?
days?
or
weeks?
I drive hard most of the time
thanks

spetz
18-03-2006, 03:30 PM
I have an oil catch can on my NA engine and it hasn't accumulated a single drop since last year...

I think, really only turbo cars need this

bennjamin
18-03-2006, 03:49 PM
you seem to drive hard all the time...so im guessing you will catch some oil vapout via the PCV system eventually.

As a general thing i "caught" about 10ml over a few weeks.

BTW how do u have the catch can hooked up ? I hope the proper way and not "bling" via the intake arm...

n/a
18-03-2006, 06:05 PM
travs DIY (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16874&highlight=catch) how could you go wrong? :p

spetz
18-03-2006, 06:06 PM
I have mine connected from the rocker cover, into the oil catch can, then back into the intake pipe.
I drive the car reasonably hard and the indicator thing still doesn't show any oil. I guess there may be some in there though
It's been on for at least about 5,000km now

bennjamin
18-03-2006, 07:16 PM
I have mine connected from the rocker cover, into the oil catch can, then back into the intake pipe.
I drive the car reasonably hard and the indicator thing still doesn't show any oil. I guess there may be some in there though
It's been on for at least about 5,000km now

thats the wrong way. That , is actually a intake for the rocker cover...so the filter really does nothing ( IE the bling bling way)

Here is the proper location -

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=2/79DSCF0224-med.JPG

On my civic - It adds the "Catch can" on the PCV system...capturing excess oil vapour destined for the inlet manifold and also combustion.

SKREMN
18-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Ive actually got it connected the bling bling way
is that a watse of time?
should i connect both up or leave the rocket cover one into the intake pipe?
I have found the other hose it doesnt look as easy as seen in these pics
it looks like i allready have some kinda catch can under my manifold
and its leaking oil as well
maybe its full?
has anyone got one connected up on a b series motor with pics?

sivic
18-03-2006, 08:42 PM
its not a complete waste of time as some vapour does come through there but the catch can will be of more use separating vapour from the crank case (how bennjamin has it). thats the proper intended use.
if you want to catch oil vapour going from valve cover to intake arm put in a $2 generic fuel filter from super cheap inline using 9mm rubber carby fuel lines (also from SC or repco). they are little clear plastic canister with an inlet and outlet and a yellow element inside. then you can see the amount its catching (a few ml over several months).
but yeah, install it via the PCV valve the proper way

spetz
19-03-2006, 12:19 PM
What is the PCV?

A workshop installed my oil catch can, I thought that was the right way?

sivic
19-03-2006, 03:18 PM
look down between the 2 intake runners on passenger side and you'll see a black elbow bit of plastic with a hose coming from it going to the intake manifold. thats it. it vents oil vapour from the crankcase.
basically have a look at the pic posted above and its pretty easy to work out:thumbsup:

SKREMN
19-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Ok i now connected it properly

I removed what was in the location of the stock black box I had a small metal one
and replaced it with my oil catch can lines
i'm still using the rocket cover vent as well
also added a return line back into the oil
so now I have 4 lines in and out of my oil catch can
I had to add one more hole for the PCV valve and line to the intake manifold
took me a few hours had to tap a thread into the block and so on

sivic
19-03-2006, 05:06 PM
dude, you should keep the pcv venting separate to the valve cover venting.
having the valve cover venting in the same system as the return valve to your intake manifold will cause excessive oil to be literally sucked out of the valve cover due to the vacuum of the IM. i'm speaking from exoperience. 40km of driving saw 300ml of oil sucked out.
only have a return valve to the IM from the PCV. do not return valve cover venting to the IM

SKREMN
19-03-2006, 09:21 PM
The vapors go from the catch can to the PCV and then to the IM
it doesnt suck anything the valve stops it all

after a bit of driving I have allready noticed a collection of oil in the catch can
so its doing its job correctly now
I'm shure there are alot of people that have it connect up the way like I did and its not surving its purpose

It has a return line to the sump so it really doesnt fill up as the gravity feeds it back into the motor once I get more then a few mills collected in it

bennjamin
19-03-2006, 09:25 PM
remember that the valve cover pipe is a inlet for the PCV system - so in other words filter air (from the air filer) is sucked into there , and provides the flow for the air/oil vapour mix..which eventually ends up goign back thru the oil seperator box , then to the PCV and then to the IM.

Keep the inlet pipe to cam cover pipe intact

SKREMN
19-03-2006, 09:32 PM
That sounds about right to what I got

I'm using 8mm internal diameter hose for all this apart from the oil return line I got 12mm on that.
Is that sufficient for the flow?
someone told me I need bigger but he didnt seem like he knew what he was talking about, just one of thoses bigger is better people.

SKREMN
19-03-2006, 09:47 PM
What is the PCV?

A workshop installed my oil catch can, I thought that was the right way?

The Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve is an emissions control device that routes unburned crankcase blowby gases back into the intake manifold where they can be reburned. The PCV system is one of the oldest emission control devices, and also one of the most beneficial. Besides totally eliminating crankcase emissions as a source of air pollution, the constant recirculation of air through the crankcase helps remove moisture which otherwise would cause sludge to form. Thus the PCV valve extends the life of the oil and engine.

Weq
19-03-2006, 10:10 PM
remember that the valve cover pipe is a inlet for the PCV system - so in other words filter air (from the air filer) is sucked into there , and provides the flow for the air/oil vapour mix..which eventually ends up goign back thru the oil seperator box , then to the PCV and then to the IM.

Keep the inlet pipe to cam cover pipe intact

It isnt an inlet.

Take a look at the stock PVC line - do u wonder why its outlet is cut at an angle and pluggged just before the throttle body, protruding into the intake arm? Its actually some physic's thing (cant remmber the proper term) and it induces a suction from the crank case during medium/high throttle points. This sucks oil vapour/oil out of the case and into the intake. As such, you should have catch cans connected to the entire PCV system.

This is especially the case on turbo cars where alot of pressure will build in the crank case and u WILL spit alot of oil out, dpending on how worn the engine is.

The big craze in the US atm is exhaust venting crank case suction/systems, moving away from catch cans. The reason is you idealy dont want the oil vapour contaminating the intake air at all, but u idealy want ths suction effect of exhaust flow/angle outlets to help ri the engine of pressure buildup.

bennjamin
19-03-2006, 10:22 PM
As said the slashed end of the pipe is to promote positive head pressure...think of a cut straw end compared to a flat bottomed one :)
Off the top of my head the shortest side is aimed at the highest velocity area etc.
And yes it is a two-way thing more than anything.
From what ive seen a oil catch can hooked up catches alot more excess on a older engine than a newer one ~ ill assume due to wear n tear and PCV condition etc.

sivic
19-03-2006, 11:38 PM
The vapors go from the catch can to the PCV and then to the IM
it doesnt suck anything the valve stops it all

after a bit of driving I have allready noticed a collection of oil in the catch can
so its doing its job correctly now
I'm shure there are alot of people that have it connect up the way like I did and its not surving its purpose

It has a return line to the sump so it really doesnt fill up as the gravity feeds it back into the motor once I get more then a few mills collected in it
how can it go from the catch can to the PCV then to the IM? the PCV is a one way valve coming directly from the crank case. are you refering to the stock black cannister? cos thats not a catchcan.
vapours come from the PCV not to it. the catch can is supposed to be between the PCV and the IM.
and also, vapours go from the valve cover TO the intake arm. not the other way round. i have a filter inline from the valve cover to the intake arm and it catches oil on the valve cover side of the filter element.
you shouldnt really notice any oil buildup in just a day unless you've had a hard day at the track. otherwise you're experiencing what i mentioned earlier of the IM vacuum drawing excessive oil from the valve cover:thumbdwn:

spetz
20-03-2006, 01:17 PM
So what is the catch can going to hold from the PCV?

Oil?

And the way mine is connected (rocker cover -> catch can -> intake pipe) is wrong?

aaronng
20-03-2006, 03:19 PM
So what is the catch can going to hold from the PCV?

Oil?

And the way mine is connected (rocker cover -> catch can -> intake pipe) is wrong?
Wrong mate... It's meant to be connected to PCV outlet (at the block, not the head) -> catch can -> intake manifold. Refer to ben's pic.

Isn't the inlet port at the intake pipe a vacuum meter?

SKREMN
20-03-2006, 04:57 PM
how can it go from the catch can to the PCV then to the IM? the PCV is a one way valve coming directly from the crank case. are you refering to the stock black cannister? cos thats not a catchcan.
vapours come from the PCV not to it. the catch can is supposed to be between the PCV and the IM.
and also, vapours go from the valve cover TO the intake arm. not the other way round. i have a filter inline from the valve cover to the intake arm and it catches oil on the valve cover side of the filter element.
you shouldnt really notice any oil buildup in just a day unless you've had a hard day at the track. otherwise you're experiencing what i mentioned earlier of the IM vacuum drawing excessive oil from the valve cover:thumbdwn:
I have removed the stock black canister
and replaced it with the catch can in a way
so the PVC now connects to the catch can
i'm not worried if it catches more oil then usual its returns stright back to the block anyways by the return line at the base of the catch can

sivic
20-03-2006, 08:54 PM
hmm..... i'm not sure the black cannister has anything to do with the PCV and should prob be left as is, not substituted with a catch can.
maybe someone could explain the use of this black cannister. emmissions related i believe?

yeah spetz the catch can separates oil from air from the PCV as the PCV vents oil vapour from the crankcase. therefore it catches oil and ensures the air going back into the IM is clean.

aaronng
20-03-2006, 09:14 PM
I have removed the stock black canister
and replaced it with the catch can in a way
so the PVC now connects to the catch can
i'm not worried if it catches more oil then usual its returns stright back to the block anyways by the return line at the base of the catch can
Stock black cannister?? Is it OEM Honda? If it is, then it's not the PCV return line. I don't think any Honda comes with a stock catch can.

SKREMN
20-03-2006, 09:14 PM
the PCV plugs into the black cannister
can anyone explain what the black caniter does?
to me it looks like its a catch can for the vapours