PDA

View Full Version : Radiators

ProECU
19-03-2006, 01:03 PM
I would like to hear peoples experiences on aftermarket radiators.

I am in the market, car is boosted.

Datalogs have showed average ECT is around 90-100deg on the stock radiator.
This range is around 10deg higher than the stock range, which also means the engine oil cooler is not cooling as much and translates directly to oil being subjected to higher heat levels.

If anyone has any experience in this field, I would like to hear suggestions on brands, and designs.

being a technical forum, i'd like to hear some technical responses.

egSi
19-03-2006, 01:20 PM
not sure if i can help but i have a near stock zc with very high ks in an EG.

i tracked it about a month ago and it overheated. normal driving was fine, coolant + thermostat was fine.

i thought my rad was old and blocked.

i swapped it with an alloy Cryogen(i think) unit.

from 14mm to 24mm. also from copper to alloy.

BIG difference, kept my car cool(as normal) etc so it was the radiator that was blocked.

its not a PWR thick as 2inch rad. but it seemed to work on my ride. pretty cheap and effective :thumbsup:

not sure if this is any helps tho :o but thats my experience.

EGB18CT
19-03-2006, 02:41 PM
i have purchased one of those aluminium radiators for my eg off ebay that are like similar to the PWR ones, still getting delivered hopefully it turns up been waiting a while but will post up how it runs seemed ok value about 270au shipped

Weq
19-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Ebay raditor. 70mm thick, alloy tanks and dual core. cost me $180usd shiped. Fitment was stock, with only the tabs on the fan shroud needing some notching to fit. hoses slip over end-tanks easily. the cap that came with it was of pooor quality though, my stock cap fits fine with a great seal.

Datalogged at 92'C in boost, 89~'C out. THis was with a ****ed engine.

Compared the stock radiator only lastling 10minutes on the hiway till overheat, this lasted 1.2hrs. So it cools alot better.

http://captanis.members.veritel.com.au/turbo/new_setup2/radiator1.JPG
http://captanis.members.veritel.com.au/turbo/new_setup2/radiator2.JPG
http://captanis.members.veritel.com.au/turbo/new_setup2/radiator3.JPG

bennjamin
20-03-2006, 10:53 AM
id like to ponder the theory....that single cores arent as efficient as dual core or full width radiators.
OR , atleast a single core sitting infront of a engine with nothing next to it.

I ATM run a single stock radiator , with a "same width" hole next to it due to AC being taken out. And , the car noticeably runs alittle hotter ( judging by the coolant temp sensor) than it did when there was the AC cooler next to it.
This is from heat soak and static airs preference to roll off the radiator and straight thru the big gap , correct ?!? I remember older cars that didnt come with AC had block of shields that no doubt diverted more of the air to the radiator itself ( i have a old gti which had this too)

ProECU
20-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Thats a good point, one I hadn't considered.
The radiator acts as a heat sink (attracts heat). This is why radiators are generally black.
With the A/C core next to the radiator, there is more heat transfer and the A/C core will thus generally assist in cooling. (even though they are independant systems)

I've taken mine out due to wastegate placement, however I have not noticed any increase in temp from the needle. Perhaps this might account for the 90-100deg temps I datalog.

What I would like to know, is, those who have aftermarket temps, what temperatures do your motors operate at?
Please also indicate how you obtained the reading also, ie datalogs or ECT gague.

I dont want to go overkill on cooling, and effect oils performance.

bennjamin
20-03-2006, 12:13 PM
perhaps a mockup "deflector" aimed at the radiator should aide in your testing or reducing in coolant temp ? Good luck and let us know :)

Anyway , is a radiator the be all / end all influence in cooling , or is it more based on the actual coolant , pipes , thermostat , thermo fan size etc ?

ProECU
20-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Benjamin, you just gave me an idea. Thanks!

bennjamin
20-03-2006, 12:18 PM
enjoy it and develop it further mate :)

Weq
20-03-2006, 01:34 PM
perhaps a mockup "deflector" aimed at the radiator should aide in your testing or reducing in coolant temp ? Good luck and let us know :)

Anyway , is a radiator the be all / end all influence in cooling , or is it more based on the actual coolant , pipes , thermostat , thermo fan size etc ?

I did this the other day because as i also thought the A/C hole provides an easy path for air to travel.

We had a a cleanup around the area and there was an oven on the side of the road. 5 minutes and i had the backing plate off it - a thin galvonised sheet metal type thing. With the angle grinder and a pencil i had it cut to fit within an hour. I mounted it on a slight angle so it directed air into the aircon.

The only problem i found with this method was with my FMIC, and high and low pressure area's. With the backing plate mounted, there was only a 2"~ gap between it and the exit (rear - air flows through) of the FMIC. I thought back to a nice writeup on a WRX engine into a airoplane i read the other week and he had problems with cooling because of how close he mounted the FMIC tot he firewall. I will have to datalog the AIT's ont he road but i might need to drill/cut some holes in the defelecting plate to releive the pressure differentials.

I shoulda got some pics. Its quite easy to do though and there was plenty of mounting holes for screwing the deflector in place.

bennjamin
20-03-2006, 01:41 PM
maybe even a large "airbox / airdam" type thing with the radiator(or even applicible to the FMIC too)....keeping it totally enclosed and a slight venturi to aim the air with some sort of even vortex...its all ideas meh.

Post up ur findings Weq :)

Weq
05-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Here are pictures of my blockoff plate.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/loxy/car/turbo/new_setup2/blockoff/

http://members.optusnet.com.au/loxy/car/turbo/new_setup2/blockoff/front2.JPG