PDA

View Full Version : Question On Power

bigjo5
19-03-2006, 06:53 PM
i was just wonderin if anybody knows simple mods to make ur car gain some potential? something like making CAI's , Advancing the timing or something? not like just put bolt ons on?

wynode
19-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Ahhhh the first thread in the newbie forum :)

Might want to do a search.

Zdster
19-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Ahhhh the first thread in the newbie forum :)

Thats good. Also might help to let everyone know for what car you need info. on. :wave:

simbadda54
19-03-2006, 07:02 PM
cant u read zdster? Its for his bicycle

Stoosh
19-03-2006, 07:12 PM

that is gonna be the reply for every thread in this forum im afraid :(

xplod_accord
19-03-2006, 07:30 PM
answer the damn questions in the forum...noobs never use the search function remember :P

SiR JDM
19-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Depending what your definition of simple "mods" are.. there are a few options.

Most people would consider a CAI a bolt on mod, so that with a headerback system would give you some minor gains. Basically, anything that will help your engine breath a bit better (slightly bigger manifolds/exhuasts ; not too big as you would loose compression)

Other options you might want to consider, that alot of people dont seem to think about/do too oftern becuase of the overwhelming popularity with I/H/E systems include:
- Lightweight flywheel. Basically will reduce the force needed to move the car (inertia) and the car will feel lighter and feel faster.. rev easier. This is really only an efficient mod if your doin clutch/gbox work at the same time.

- Light weight rims. If your running 18" chromies .. take them off NOW! :p.. same deal as above, smaller and of course lighter weight rims will reduce the intertia needed to accelerate the car so there will be a slight improvement. Of course it would be most efficient if your goin to buy rims, to pay some more ontop and find some light weight ones in the style you want. So doin up your car with some nice rims can also improve your performance =]

im sure theres heaps more but thats why we do have search and other members or n00bs can contibute what they know/have learnt

newmski
19-03-2006, 10:03 PM
fast car needs:
reduced weight
more fuel/air
proffesional tuning
and some decent grip
....and a big ***off wing for ricers

aaronng
19-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Basically, you can do 3 things.
1) Make your car breathe better.
2) Make your car lighter
3) Drivetrain mods

Number 1 is what everybody tries to do. Basic bolt ons mean cold air intake or a short ram intake (a must) and a cat back exhaust (which I personally don't think does much for power). If you are after power, then proper headers are the way to do. Then to take advantage of your changed breathing capacity, you can tune your ECU with different fuel maps to take advantage.

Number 2 is the FREE mod. The more you take out, the harder your car accelerates. In my opinion, the best weight mod is the most expensive. It is lightweight rims. There is a legality issue with CF bonnets, so that might not be the route for everybody.

Number 3 has a big effect. You can change your final drive to a shorter one to sacrifice top speed for acceleration, and also use a lightweight flywheel (might not be legal) in order to reduce rotation inertia.

yourfather
20-03-2006, 12:22 AM
If you are getting your gearbox worked on, you can get your oem flywheel machined for a cheap fix. And seeing as they already have the gearbox out, it wouldn't cost you more than like 40 bucks.

twiggy
23-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Basically, you can do 3 things.
1) Make your car breathe better.
2) Make your car lighter
3) Drivetrain mods

Number 1 is what everybody tries to do. Basic bolt ons mean cold air intake or a short ram intake (a must) and a cat back exhaust (which I personally don't think does much for power). If you are after power, then proper headers are the way to do. Then to take advantage of your changed breathing capacity, you can tune your ECU with different fuel maps to take advantage.

Number 2 is the FREE mod. The more you take out, the harder your car accelerates. In my opinion, the best weight mod is the most expensive. It is lightweight rims. There is a legality issue with CF bonnets, so that might not be the route for everybody.

Number 3 has a big effect. You can change your final drive to a shorter one to sacrifice top speed for acceleration, and also use a lightweight flywheel (might not be legal) in order to reduce rotation inertia.

Yes this is depending on your budget aswell. ;)
Headers and Cold Air intake are basic $300-$600 mods
With 4 cyclinder cars the amount of power you are going to recieve is minimal compared to a straight six. Civics being a 1.6 limits the amount of gains it generates. Of course you can give your car an engine transplant and put in a B16 V tec! :p.The cheapest mod i can think of off the top of my head would be pod filters, depending on brand they can have significant power gains from past experiences.

mugeneration
23-03-2006, 09:21 PM
- headers and exhaust
- spark plugs and ignition cables - $400 for a good set
- CAI - anywhere between $100 for crap and $300+ for a sweet setup
- using better fuel?
- ECU upgrade - around $750
- lighter wheels, as well as getting rid of things not necessary in your car (spare wheel perhaps?)
- tyres - dont cheap out on tyres. Theyre what transform your engine power into forward motion. CHeap ones slip and dont grip well in the wet. Trust me go a good tyre and you wont regret it! Just dont be a hoon and smoke em up.

Q_ball
23-03-2006, 11:08 PM
jst turbo it :)

ricki_kalsi
23-03-2006, 11:12 PM
WEIGHT REDUCTION!!!! Best non bolt on mod you can do :P

wlee2
24-03-2006, 08:10 AM
look here.. is a very basic writeup of what helps..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40204

heres the bang for buck DC2 mods

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12128

and the bang for buck DC5 mod

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12532

ok.. i dont know what car you got.. but in general some of the "generic" mods work on all models..

ie Clutch and Lightened Flywheel
IMO is a very good bang for buck. (i meen really whats the point of power if you cant get it down right =P)

if you got a Dc2 Vtir. or something not a type R.. if u looking for cheaper and cant afford Aftermarket Stuff upgrading your exhaust headers to Type R Headers makes a difference

Edit: just incase people misunderstand me, i am NOT SAying aftermarket stuff is useless im just saying if you CANT afford it.. I have been told Toda headers work really really well.. but i also hear they are a bit pricey.

i personally not a big fan of the CAi mod. but people swear by it.

hope that helps a little..

yourfather
24-03-2006, 09:29 AM
yeah I dunno why people go do CAI for VTi-R.