PDA

View Full Version : Insulating and ventilating Jazz manifold

claymore
20-03-2006, 02:12 AM

kimo
22-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Very nice review. So you will take off the cover only at the drag, so why just take it off all the time. I think it will look nicer instead of holes make a big cut and cover it with grill. Do you have a picture of your hood with washer.
What about this gasket can it be done in our car.

http://www.hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html

kimo
23-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Where I live is very hot and I have intake temp in my car and it can hit up to 65c. My car might not be hotter than yours as I drive a City and the engine bay is bigger than Jazz so there is more air flow to the engine to cool it. What I will do is to cut the engine cover from the front and the sides and cover it with mesh grill, because I will not do a good job in holes and later on if I sell the car people will say wtf you did at the cover. We make custom gaskets here, so I just might also do the one for the intake manifold, and it will cost me like $10 to make with install :)
I might even do the hood raise but have to see if it looks nice. I think the best way to cool under hood temp is to have vents in the hood, and which I have done in my last BMW and it worked perfect, but will not look nice at Jazz.

kimo
23-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Ok thanks for the info. Will ad the washer. What do you think about the grill mesh at the cover.

I didn't raise my hood, the washers I was talking about go under the engine cover so the cover is higher. If it didn't rain so much here I would remove the rubber mouldings on the front bottom and rear bottom of the hood to let in more air but if you do that when it rains or you wash the car water gets into the engine compartment.

kimo
24-03-2006, 01:56 AM
Big mesh so the heat goes out :)

Any holes will help let the heat out. Adding mesh to keep thing out sounds like a good idea.

kimo
28-03-2006, 12:02 AM
I took my cover out 2day but found out it's not that easy as my car is Idsi and to install on the intake runner will be hard because of plus between the runners.

kimo
30-03-2006, 05:43 AM
I drove without the cover and found the manifold and the runners never get hot at all.

dc
13-04-2006, 02:43 AM
Now I like my Jazz but it comes with some strange engineering like running a plastic intake manifold right over and across a very hot running engine.

dont u also remember from 'boring Science class in school' that plastic is a better insulator than say aluminium

dc
14-04-2006, 12:06 AM
thats beside the point

given the layout, using plastic is not strange engineering, it is obviously a better choice. id imagine itd feel just a teeny bit warmer had they chosen aluminium over what they got now

dc
15-04-2006, 09:45 PM
my point is be grateful its made of plastic and not aluminium
sure any material will heat up but some not as much as others

u should know how much real estate there is and isnt in the jazz engine bay...think u can relocate it up front?
now theres a diy project for u

kimo
16-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Will I have the cover off for few days, so I don't think insulating it will make much diffrence, so maybe just install thicker washer will raise the cover a bit so more air will flow underneath it. Maybe best thing is to have vents in the hood, to have more cold air in or make it to have hot air out which I think is even better.