PDA

View Full Version : My Clutch is Soft. . help anyone?

`OzLude
20-03-2006, 03:55 PM
hey recently when i have been driving.. my clutch feels as if its really soft.. and that when i let go it does not catch the gear as it usually does.. and the engine braking does not feel too strong..

so i was wondering if anyone might know what this is / experienced this before?

i was thinking about changing clutch, and was also asking whats a good type of heavy duty clutch kit?

EuroDude
20-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Sounds like its time for a new clutch. If you drive in alot of bumper to bumper traffic u should avoid a heavy duty clutch.

How is the clutch fluid reservoir level? Below Min?

`OzLude
20-03-2006, 11:28 PM
yeah i was thinking a new clutch.. :S but im going to get it checked out before hand. . .

but either way. . anyone with recommendations on what would be a good clutch kit to search for? or are they all similar?

EG5[KRT]
21-03-2006, 12:29 AM
well i would b first checking ur fluid levels then once they are fine then mayb they need replacing coz they have air or water mixed in ..

then id think about a new clutch etc

`OzLude
21-03-2006, 10:01 PM
well im hoping its just that, hopefully dont have to spend on a new clutch lOL. . .

/ . .i think i may need to add this into the noob section, since i dont know which one exactly is the reserve for the clutch fluid. . haha XD

and also how would i go abouts on replacing it if its still has a fair amount in it?

panda[cRx]
21-03-2006, 11:21 PM
retail you'd be spending about $350-$400 for the average clutch and i guess about $400-$500 for the labour depending on where you go

obviously some are more expensive than others and some cars are more difficult to work on than others (or you may need a balance belt too or something which adds to the price)

wynode
22-03-2006, 07:50 AM
How many kms on the clutch?

shmivic
23-03-2006, 02:14 PM
have a look under the dash above the clutch pedal slave cyl. if there is small traces of fluid or stains where fluid might have been you will need to change to slave cyl,
its a fairly easy job to do and a new oem cyl will cost $190 from honda

its a known minor fault on early-mid 90s hondas

`OzLude
23-03-2006, 05:46 PM
heys, yeah i had a look under the dash and saw something that might have been the thing you were talking about but it does not seem to be leaking or so?.. .

and i've been driving for abit and it seems to be that the friction point is like really high and very close to the top.. does that seem to be normal? or having it too high means something is wrong?

. . n i'll have another look under the dash again properly when i get more time.

EuroDude
23-03-2006, 07:01 PM
So how is your clutch fluid level? If you are unsure which one it is, just check all of them and tell us... 'the large one at the rear-right is at this level, etc..'

kyle
23-03-2006, 08:09 PM
']retail you'd be spending about $350-$400 for the average clutch and i guess about $400-$500 for the labour depending on where you go

I paid $290 strait from honda for a pressure plate, clutch disc and throwout baring. It was $50 to get my flywheel machined and only $5 for a new flywheel spigot baring. :D

You could spend that $500 labour on a nice jack and stands as well as a good set of tools. Then you can DIY all your projects and save yourself alot of $$$ and teach yourself mechanical knowledge at the same time.

Or of you cant be Forked spending 8 hours screaming and yelling at your engine you could pay someone else to do it while you go eat a bigmac. :)

`OzLude
23-03-2006, 08:29 PM
So how is your clutch fluid level? If you are unsure which one it is, just check all of them and tell us... 'the large one at the rear-right is at this level, etc..'

i havent checked through all of them but i will do when there's more light.. and also, if there was some in there, how would i go abouts on replacing all of it? or do i jst top it off if some is missing?

and kyle i was just wondering if this has happened to you?

because unless its just me, my friction point is very close to 'completly off' of the clutch.

EuroDude
23-03-2006, 08:36 PM
You can just top it off, but from what u said about the friction point, it sounds like you simply need a new clutch.

1) How many killometers has the car done?

2) Has the clutch ever been replaced before?

Clutches usually get changed at around 150,000km. Less if you ride the clutch alot.

mugeneration
23-03-2006, 09:12 PM
You're due for a new clutch mate! I experienced the same slipping with mine, very embarassing when it sounds like you're riding the clutch all the time. Anyway, take my word on this, buy an aftermarket flywheel to put in too coz its cheaper to put this in when they replace the clutch, and chances are theyre gunna do some work to your flywheel anyway. They machined mine, without even asking if i wanted to upgrade it or anything. It wasnt in the quote either, so it was a rude little shock.

shmivic
23-03-2006, 09:17 PM
yep def sounds like clutch is going, if you are paying someone to change it for you ask them to inspect the gearset seal,
9 times out of 10 oil has leaked thru from the gear set onto the clutch disk thus creating a slipping clutch.
last thing you want is to pay $400 labour only to find that in 3 weeks time itl need it again

`OzLude
24-03-2006, 12:41 PM
1) How many killometers has the car done?

2) Has the clutch ever been replaced before?

1. its done around 135k+..

2. and i dont think it has been replaced, as the guy said he has not changed anything in the car since he bought it. .. and i've had this car since it was about 120ish. .

and alright i think i may have to start looking for all these parts sometime soon lol :thumbsup:

thanks to all for your input and help with this :). .

- much appreciated. :D