PDA

View Full Version : buzz/sound

rtsnoz
20-03-2006, 10:17 PM
G'day,

I know this has been talked about before but i decided to start a new one as to get a more personal responce etc.

Today I replaced my alpine amp with a more powerful 4 channel soundstream amp.
Changes were as follows:
extra RCAs from head unit.
new speaker cables, from rear speakers to amp

All the other wiring was the same.... (i think) and the alpine amp was just running the sub.

Now with the new setup when the car is running there is a horrible buzz, which increases tone as the rpm increases... (as a guess i think it could be in time with the spark plugs). This buzz can be heard through both the rear speakers and the sub.

When the car is not running there is a soft buzz which stops when i put the face down on my pioneer 7750mp. (the headunit stays on so you can put in a cd)

With the previous setup there wasn't any off these noises. I guess the next step is to put the alpine back and check to see if the buzz remains....
I don't think the problem is grounding, as there was never a problem with the old setup.

I read in one of the threads here that if speaker wires or rcas are touched together when the system is running, it can blow a tiny fuse inside the pioneer head unit. Is this possible? (it is quite likely that something was touched together today...)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Rohan

dfekm3
20-03-2006, 11:37 PM
How do you have all your cabling wired in your car? Is the main power cable for the amps on one side of the car and rca's and speaker cables on the other so they do not cross... this is generally the main cause of it. Furthermroe, grounding of the amp and your head unit.. just check to ensure that the grond there is a clean connection

ICACHA
21-03-2006, 08:42 AM
check out my post #22 in this thread http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39168 its towards the end of the thread.

aka_NSX
21-03-2006, 03:11 PM
if you said there is no problem before you must have accidently touching the body of the amp with your screw driver when you undo the power cable on the positive terminal of the amp, that can cause an engine noise or buzzing noise because of the burn track on the circuit board................

rtsnoz
21-03-2006, 03:40 PM
I've had a play today and from what i can tell the problem is with the amplifier....

I changed the amp back to the much smaller alpine and the sound dissapeared....

put the soundstream back on and the sound is back.... Is this because it is a bigger amp? or because there is something wrong with the amp itself. If so, is there any way i can get it fixed?

Thanks
Rohan

rtsnoz
23-03-2006, 08:50 PM
*bump* any ideas?

mugeneration
23-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Perhaps try playing around with the settings of the amp and see if it fixes it? If not it could be a problem with the amp. Tho from my experience it does sound like a wiring issue. Maybe for some reason this amp picks up the noise more for some reason? You wouldnt think you'd have a problem with a brand new amp straight out of the box, but it happens.

czy_sol87
24-03-2006, 09:22 AM
mine does the same, i was suggested that it was my power cable, because i ran it down the side where the ecu is sitting, anybody know if power next to ecu is a problem?

rtsnoz
25-03-2006, 09:04 AM
I went and spoke to a local car audio shop.... They recon its something wrong with my head unit (pioneer DEH-P7750MP). Aparently with pioneer's it is very easy to damage the grounding stuff inside the unit. This can be apparently be done by just touching 2 rcas together. I've left my unit with them at their shop and they are gonna have a look, if i have infact damaged it, they are gonna fix it for about $80, and otherwise there will be no charge.

If anyone is wondering, the shop is AudioTech in tuggeranong in canberra. From what i've been told, these guys know what they are talking about....

ICACHA
25-03-2006, 10:20 AM
blown fuse on the RCA circuit, bitch of a job to do if you got bad eyes haha