PDA

View Full Version : twin exhaust for a da9

vtegra
20-03-2006, 11:28 PM
hey i just saw a 91 integra today with a twin exhaust and just wondering y wuld he do this? better power, or sound? and wondering if its easy to do?

JRC
21-03-2006, 12:59 AM
looks, 4 cylinder car you would lose power doing that........
all looks and sound

and it is easy if you have enough money to throw at it........

yourfather
21-03-2006, 01:30 AM
no reason but cosmetic.

SKREMN
21-03-2006, 11:55 AM
was it real the other outlet may of been fake

vtegra
21-03-2006, 11:57 AM
yeh im pretty sure it was real, it had 1 on the left side n 1 on the right side

Spoon DA9R
22-03-2006, 12:18 AM
i've seen a fake one before...was driving behind this old pulsar.....the guy did a gd job...even made the muffler too....but it looks funny...just made of aluminum....and u can see the one on the right one blow smoke and vibrate when he drive...the left one just sitting there all clean and stuff, not even a hint of smoke residue on it at all...hahahaha even the inside of the pipe is still clean...look really stupid

dc4t
22-03-2006, 12:19 AM
RICEEE is all i can say..

z3lda
22-03-2006, 09:30 AM
you can just get a muffler with twin outlet. both outlets will work and you wont look like a fake. its about 200bux for a muffler with twin outlet and any size tip you want put on.

type one
22-03-2006, 10:18 AM
might have been a HKS St May Shotgun. Twin canister, twin piping mounted underaxle centre rear of the car - no bends...

aaronng
22-03-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't think you would lose power if it was just a twin muffler with normal tips. It's the same as standard all the way til after the resonator where it splits into 2.

The only cars that will really benefit from a real twin muffler setup is one with 2 exhaust manifolds, i.e. V configuration engines. Also cars with reasonably high flows (large capacity or turbo) might use a twin muffler so that they have 2 narrower pipes to route underneath rather than one huge pipe that eats up fuel tank space and what not.

JRC
22-03-2006, 11:11 AM
i think he means where the two muffler tips are ato opposite sides of the car....eg S2000 style what im saying to him is that if he was to get that sort of setup it would have to bbe engineered extremely well not to lose backpressure, then power in a 1.8 lt NA car.....it can be done but is technically alot harder and almost destined to make the car lose backpressure and nullify any scavenging effects of the exhaust

I don't think you would lose power if it was just a twin muffler with normal tips. It's the same as standard all the way til after the resonator where it splits into 2.

The only cars that will really benefit from a real twin muffler setup is one with 2 exhaust manifolds, i.e. V configuration engines. Also cars with reasonably high flows (large capacity or turbo) might use a twin muffler so that they have 2 narrower pipes to route underneath rather than one huge pipe that eats up fuel tank space and what not.

yourfather
22-03-2006, 11:46 AM

Even then, you'll find that most cars that are Turbo or High Displacement, only have twin mufflers for cosmetic and sound reasons.

My friend has a SS commodore, and he wants to put twin exhausts on it, and have two seperate pipes. But in my opinion, I think it's a waste of his money.

Sure it might look and sound good, but compare that to a 1.8 litre car, which has 3 times smaller displacement, it's not really a good idea!

iamhappy46
22-03-2006, 10:20 PM
My old Civic has a fully functional dual exit exhaust, sounds mean at idle...

Once VTEC kicked in...it sounds amazing! I can hear the car every time it drives past my work. Muffler is big enough to give decent back pressure but flows beautifully once VTEC kicks in... Best of all, the 2 exhaust tips pulse like a dual exhaust V8.

locote
22-03-2006, 10:34 PM
i had twiin mufflers instaled on my teg when i 1st had the exhaust done..
had a Y piece split the pipe just before the rear suspencion arms.
it was F**&ng loud!!!! and the car felt so flat at low mid range.
got it taken of and single pipe put on instead and felt and sounded so much better.