PDA

View Full Version : Questions about buying a new Accord Euro

shane
21-03-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm thinking of buying an Accord Euro and am trying to decide between the Standard Manual and Sports Manual.

1. Are there any suspension differences between the models? I realise the tyres are 225 width on the Sports and 205 width on the standard.

2. Do both cars feature a display showing fuel usage in units of L/100km?

3. Where are the fan speed controls?

4. Is there any particular reason why the Sports would definitely be the much berter buy?

5. Many here seem to acheive a discount off rrp of around $2-4K. Do others agree?

Ta,
Shane.

Tobster
21-03-2006, 08:53 AM
There are no suspension differences between any of the Accord Euros (*see below). The main differences (off the top of my head) between the Sport and the Standard model are:
- bigger wheels and tyres
- body kit
- red dash lights
- metal gear knob
- partial leather seat trim
- curtain airbags (I can recommend these! :) )

All 06 models have a computer which shoes fuel use (among others)

The fan speed controls are to the lower left of the central control pod (they have little up and down arrows on them).

Whether the Sports is a better buy is a matter of personal preference -- personally, I think it is if just for the wheels and tyres and curtain airbags. If you are planning on upgrading the wheels to something bigger than 17s, then maybe it's not a good choice.

I doubt you will get as much discount on a Sports as on a Standard because they're a limited edition -- and the demand for the cars will generally be higher. Most limited editions also tend to hold a better resale value.

EDIT:
Actually, to be technical there should be some sort of difference because Honda says you can't put 17s on a Standard model!

EuroDude
21-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Huh what you cant put 17's on a euro standard?

hmm I was planning on getting some aftermarket 18" wheels.

[edit] euro ricko has put 18"s on his euro std
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=640548&postcount=11

yfin
21-03-2006, 10:28 AM
If you are ho-hum about body kit, larger rims and tyres - save your money and get the standard. You will also be able to negotiate a better price on the standard so it is the better buy IMO.

Re the discount - can we please not turn this thread into another suedo "how much did you pay for your Euro thread". We already have that thread and it has been done to death. To put it bluntly - go and do your own deal please!

socheerio
21-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Shaney - you tradey in? Briefcase with cash? Finance? You want popuular colour etc etc. Where's home? Discounts vary but seems everyone except VW dealers would discount $2K plus ATM.

So you learnt to drive smoothly already? ;)

shane
21-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys. Point taken about the relative ease of negotiating a discount on the standard.
Socheerio - are you suggesting something there? You have me a bit worried.

albii
21-03-2006, 01:57 PM
shane...socheerio is merely referring to your tool like posts the last time you spoke about this....as yfin stated do a SEARCH.

shane
21-03-2006, 02:03 PM
What's a "tool like post"?

I''m beginning to think I don't belong here. I am having trouble grasping the "language" of this forum, or lack thereof.

corn_flakes
21-03-2006, 02:23 PM
*rolleyes*

LOL!!!!!

albii
21-03-2006, 03:06 PM
omg...........is it me or is he an alien...
shane..there is no problem with you being on this forum..
but you picked to death the euro and made so many points about how your liberty 2.5i was sooo much better so it begs the question.....why are you buying a euro? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

albii
21-03-2006, 03:07 PM
oh and the language you have trouble grasping....its english.

socheerio
21-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Sorry Shane to have muddled you. I meant in a round about way that the deal you get might depend on where you live or buy, and whether you want to trade in your Liberty. I always find the briefcase of cash works best :cool:

Maybe you could sell the Liberty on this board now you have explained how much better it is than these Euro thingies :love:

albii
21-03-2006, 03:19 PM
i'm going to a porsche forum to rubbish their cars and tell them that the euro is better and then buy a porsche...wtf

yfin
21-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Shane you are more than welcome here.

My comment about the "price" part of your question was more about not covering the same ground over and over. The fact also remains that the price someone else pays for a Euro means very little to you - it could be a deal that can't be replicated tomorrow or it could be a bad deal tomorrow. The stamping taxes are different depending on your location, dealer margins change, specifications and stock changes, blah blah blah. If you want the car go and shop at a few Honda dealers in your area rather than asking people on the internet.

As for buying the Euro - good for you. What made you change your mind? The last thread I saw you mentioned something about the Euro "dull" engine note and a "clunk clunk" gearbox.

shane
21-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Man you guys really don't take criticism about the Euro well at all.

Every car has it's problems or idiosyncrasies. Now here, I have a box of tissues on my desk. You can all come by and mop up those tears. There there.....

yfin
21-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Man you guys really don't take criticism about the Euro well at all.

Every car has it's problems or idiosyncrasies. Now here, I have a box of tissues on my desk. You can all come by and mop up those tears. There there.....

Shane - if you want people to help you on this forum don't throw dirt at the same people you are asking questions of. :thumbdwn: The fact remains you posted in another thread scathing comments about the Euro and now you are asking questions that suggest you are ready to purchase a Euro. Any reasonable person would consider that you have some explaining to do. Either you have changed your view about the car or you haven't?

Here is a prediction -if you still think the Euro has a dull engine and a clunk clunk gearbox you WILL hate the car when you buy it. Perception will become reality. So think twice. You will be an unhappy buyer.

As for people being defensive about the Euro's "problems or idiosyncrasies" - your comments were controversial as they do not correlate with the ownership experience. Dull engine note? Clunk clunk gearbox? Give me a break. What is more credible - the driving experience of someone who has only test driven the vehicle or the collective experience of 100 Euro owners with millions of kilometers travelled?

Good luck with your purchase - i sincerely hope you don't regret it :confused:

shane
21-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Phew being on here is hard work. It's a very emotional place to be. Think I'll dodge those Accord Euro's out on the roads from now on! Seems like the owners are ready to CRACK!

as001
21-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Switch to the Euro Shane as you know i used to own pretty much the same car you do (minus your suspension mods) and i 'totally' dont regret it i only wish i bought the euro in the 1st place would have saved pain/hassle and more importantly cash i have no doubt in my mind im keeping my till end of my lease which is for another 4 years.
IMO go for the limited edition sport checked it out the other day trumps the std model looks and seats are great but if you got the xtra cash go the luxury

socheerio
21-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Hahaha if Shane grumbles this much after 10 mins in a Euro hows he going to be driving one every day. We might never hear the end of it, eh Shane :wave:

coyote
21-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Shane, you asked a question, we gave you our opinions. If you're not happy with the opinions we gave in the first place re Subaru Vs Honda, don't ask again. You'll only be disappointed again. What do you want us to say? Buy the damn Euro!! Just buy one! If you've got the cash, go for the luxury, don't bother with the Sport unless you're purely after the look. It offers no more as far as performance and only minor differences as far as looks. The Luxury model, however, gives you curtain airbags, bigger and nicer looking wheels, HID foglamps, sunroof, heated leather seats, headlamp washers, rain sensor wipers, and an option for Sat Nav, blah blah blah.

Just buy a Euro, and THEN tell us how shit it is, but we still won't believe you... :P

Butso
21-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Sports package is for the Ricers !

albii
21-03-2006, 08:56 PM
shane please honestly......go buy a euro....great car and yes better than your 2.5i.....but please grow up and work out whether you are bagging the euro or buying it but just cut the crap......in one breath you bag and in another you are wanting to buy it..wtf...are you a tad lost or what?..hows about starting again fresh on this forum with a bit more intelligence this time....

EuroAccord13
22-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Shane, the way you are putting things are bound to get people bagging the s**ts out of you, not just in this forum, it will happen in all other forums.

Some of your questions are really a joke to be honest, I won't say which and then again some of your replies makes people wonder if you are a kid who hasn't even got a license, then again this I can be wrong. :)

Anyway, let's just keep this on a positive note and answer his queries and offer advice/tips only if YOU have them to contribute, if not, stop posting to rack up post counts in here :D :P, my hands are itchy from deleting nonsense posts and I will start doing it if I still see any nonsense posts after this one..

Ok all said and done, NO MORE BAGGING or I'll whip the stick at ya! :D

yfin
22-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Some of your questions are really a joke to be honest, I won't say which and then again some of your replies makes people wonder if you are a kid who hasn't even got a license, then again this I can be wrong.

Quote of the month - gold ! :D

shane
22-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Boy many of you take this forum way too seriously - a symptom of overmoderation perhaps?

Mention that the Euro has a jerky throttle or that the gearshift feels a lttile lifeless and some users fire right up, or should I say "whip the stick at me". I thought I was the one too young for a license. As much fun as it is to be here, be assured it won't be a long term choice I make. Good grief.

Anyway, back to some rationality, a couple of reasons I thought that one would select the Euro Sports would be the larger wheels/tyres and the leather bolstered seats. I agree that the body kit and other cosmetic upgrades looks a bit too "boy racer" though.

And what of the news that I hear the throttle control system has been retuned? I haven't had an opportunity to test drive the '06 model yet but does anyone know anything about this? Not that I am implying that the 04/05 model has a jerky throttle now. Nooooooooo.

Tobster
22-03-2006, 09:25 AM
I have an 06 and I don't believe the throttle has has been retuned -- I haven't read anywhere in any of Honda's material that this has been the case.

If in doubt, ask the dealer or email Honda Australia.

Like I said in the other (Liberty) thread, the Accord Euro throttle takes some getting used to, and it doesn't drive like many other cars -- but once you get used to it, it is very responsive. If you're the sort of person who drives foot down, foot up, foot down, foot up, then you'll get a very jerky ride because the fuel cut in and out is quite distinct (my wife's 2000 Corolla which doesn't have an electronic throttle is also like this, but to a lesser extent). You need to learn to drive at a consistent speed and to ride the clutch a bit in slow traffic.

Personally, I think some of the comments in this thread have been somewhat uncalled for and unnecessarily abusive. When I shop for a car I try to pick every fault in it prior to buying it too -- and try to work out what is a genuine fault and what is just an ideosyncracy of the car. By offering an impression, I would hope that current owners would abe able to assure me that things in the real world are better than my test drive impression.

Whatever happened to moderators keeping postings on topic?

nickowns
22-03-2006, 10:41 AM
I test drove both Liberty 2.5L and the Euro a couple of weekends ago before deciding on the Euro :)

God it was a world of difference. The Liberty was boring, lack of power (probably due to the fact that the 4WD took all the power), boring dash, body feels sluggish, the dash was granny, interior was all grey. The sound of the engine was almost mute, only when it gets up to around 5-6k rpm did I hear it moan a bit. Sharp cornering seems to understeer a lot. I'm comparing apples to apples, base model of liberty 2.5 safety and the base 2.4 Euro.

The euro on the other hand, was all reverse of that, totally exciting drive, the interior was class, power was on demand, cornering was sweet, (go that ESP thing!) The body feels like I was in a small size coupe. I'm getting mine in 2 weeks. (order placed, just waiting for work to complete paper work)

So does anyone have a 06' vs 05' spec list, improvements etc?

It's a bloody shame not to have MP3 playing capability, (the $983, multimedia player is stupidly priced and not even linked to the screen displaying information), the AUX seems to require a $180 dollar box to connect (after reading these forums). I don't see why they can't just yank part of the new civic audio and plug it in somehow since they come standard with mp3/wma support.

:thumbsup: EURO!

shane
22-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Yep Okay guys you've made your point. You are all extremley cool (well that's obvious)and the Euro is heaven sent and flawless. Terriffic. Now I hope there is an unsubscribe button here somewhere......?

Tobster
22-03-2006, 12:09 PM
So does anyone have a 06' vs 05' spec list, improvements etc?

Besides some outer body styling (new bumpers, grille, side skirts) the only major difference is the addition of a full fuel consumption and trip computer (older versions just had trip meters).

The luxury gets an electrochromatic rearview mirror (automatically dims) -- when I first read about this, I thought it was a bit wanky, but it's brilliant -- I love it on mine!

There's also a sat-nav option for the luxury.

nickowns
22-03-2006, 12:13 PM
side skirts etc, that's the accord euro sports isnt it?

EuroDude
22-03-2006, 01:37 PM

Yep but they are available as an accessory on the Std and Lux.

aaronng
22-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Yep Okay guys you've made your point. You are all extremley cool (well that's obvious)and the Euro is heaven sent and flawless. Terriffic. Now I hope there is an unsubscribe button here somewhere......?
I've been just keeping quiet and watching. :)

I have to agree, when I first got my Euro, I found the throttle jerky at low speed in 1st and 2nd gears. After about a month or 2, I had adjusted to it that the throttle was not jerky anymore. What happens is when you are driving at speed, the electronic throttle is calibrated to give you quick response. Unfortunately, that is not what you want at low speed. I'm surprised to hear that Honda has not recalibrated it for the 06.

Gear shift-wise, I find it faultless except for the occasional 1-2 "grind". It's not a grind, but there no sharp precise feeling when shifting. Happens only once in a while when I am pulling down and to the left when shifting into 2nd.

You have to remember, everyone has different standards depending on the car that they came from. Someone who previously drove a car with a sloppy gearbox would find the Euro's amazing. And conversely, someone from a car with a great gearbox would find that the Euro's just a ho-hum.

I'd say, filter out the information that you are looking for and if anyone criticises your personal preferences, don't take it seriously. As you know, if your opinion is different from others, they will always try to claim that theirs are right. Who is truly right or wrong? It's a personal preference! http://www.acurazine.com/forums/images/smilies/nod.gif

albii
22-03-2006, 04:33 PM
shane be serious....of course everyone here prefers the euro or they would have just bought the liberty instead.....btw why is it that you are looking to buy the euro anyway?........
i dont want to preach too much, but you could take yfins advice and drop the smarty pants attitude as it really is wearing thin....
like he said you are more than welcome here as every post is a welcome contribution as long as its not sarcastic bullshit....
now lets get over this bullshit roundabout of sarcasm and talk about what this thread should be about.

Tobster
22-03-2006, 04:40 PM
The side skirts on the Standard and Luxury models (the regular versions without the "extra kit") are slightly different in the 06 model to the 03-05 -- they flair out slightly more, whereas the older ones rolled under more (if that makes sense).

albii
22-03-2006, 04:44 PM
The side skirts on the Standard and Luxury models (the regular versions without the "extra kit") are slightly different in the 06 model to the 03-05 -- they flair out slightly more, whereas the older ones rolled under more (if that makes sense).
so does the rear and front bars........first time i saw an 06 i thought it had a kit on it.

Euro Ricko
22-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Boy many of you take this forum way too seriously - a symptom of overmoderation perhaps?

I thought I was the one too young for a license.

That's maybe why you think the Euro has a touchy throttle, it only goes when you press the "A" button on your XBox. :p

Now I hope there is an unsubscribe button here somewhere......?

Don't call us, we'll call you. :wave:

Try this link http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/gettitestsdrivieduca_dl1.html

Catcha
22-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Shane

I don'y know why your considering a Liberty over a Euro

Go get a MPS. forgot which mag I was reading Wheels I think. review of Euro, Liberty GT and Mazda MPS.

Editors choice or winner should I say out of that comparsion was the MPS :D

Euro Ricko
22-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Shane

I don'y know why your considering a Liberty over a Euro

Go get a MPS. forgot which mag I was reading Wheels I think. review of Euro, Liberty GT and Mazda MPS.

Editors choice or winner should I say out of that comparsion was the MPS :D

I believe that the Euro was not in that comparo, as the other two are Turbo and AWD, the Euro is not.

It was a close thing if i remember though.

Catcha
22-03-2006, 08:37 PM
I believe that the Euro was not in that comparo, as the other two are Turbo and AWD, the Euro is not.

It was a close thing if i remember though.

your probably right, I can't remember only MPS and GT is what i recalled haahha bad memory....but those MPS look the part now

Euro Ricko
22-03-2006, 09:20 PM
your probably right, I can't remember only MPS and GT is what i recalled haahha bad memory....but those MPS look the part now

Saw on MPS on the back of a truck in Canberra weekend before last. It had "MPS" plates on it, looked tough, with very nice wheels, i quite like em, would love to drive one.

EuroAccord13
22-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Mention that the Euro has a jerky throttle or that the gearshift feels a lttile lifeless and some users fire right up, or should I say "whip the stick at me"

If you thought I was having a go at you, you're wrong just to let you know the stick applies to EVERYONE!! :)

N.EURO.TIC
23-03-2006, 01:41 AM
Jeez Shane your makin friends big time here!
Anyway im pretty new here too, but these guys all seem ok, and plenty helpful, just love their Euro's i guess.
I bought an 06 lux about 6 weeks ago after drivin liberty n maz 6, it was by far the most potent of em all, handling was better than others in my op too, if your cash allows id go for the lux over the sport, with the 06 bumper changes the diff in looks is minimal n features are way better than sport.
Im not unimpressed with the power n i came from a 290kw VY SS ute.The only liberty that handles better than a Euro is the 3.0R B spec n they're 15k dearer.
Ive just lowered mine n put new rims on (will post pics once i work out how!!) n plan on CAI n Exhaust mods, but overall im lovin it more n more every day
I doubt ul be dissappointed in a Euro
Cheers