PDA

View Full Version : engine transplant

krogoth
21-03-2006, 05:20 PM
i was just wonderin, has anyone done an engine transplant on an 05 civic, and if they have, can i get some pics and info plz?

tried lookin for some on the net, couldnt find any

civicCXI
22-03-2006, 11:20 AM
I think it's ilegal to get an engine that is older than the chassis. So if you want to do a swap, it would be 05-up integra-R/S or maybe the new civic ; )

SiReal
22-03-2006, 11:22 AM
that is correct

Zdster
22-03-2006, 11:32 AM
I think it's ilegal to get an engine that is older than the chassis. So if you want to do a swap, it would be 05-up integra-R/S or maybe the new civic ; )

:thumbsup:

Might even look into an accord engine - if it would fit?

krogoth
22-03-2006, 11:39 AM

yeh i thought so, unfortunaltley the engine i was thinkin about is quite old, and it would definetley be ilegal to put into a 7th gen civic

but then the car is stil quite new, i am a strategic thinker, and im tryin to learn as much as i can about the whole engine transplant idea before the time actually comes to do it(like years and years away, LOL)

a real possibility would be a k20, but it would have to be a brand new engine, as i dought there are 2 many crashed 06 civics around, LOL, so a new one would have to bought, and that would cost around $5 to $6k

but wat other options are there? i dont like the idea of a bolt on turbo kit, that just doesnt make sense, the stok engine wasnt designed for a turbo, itd prob die after around 15k kmz of drivin, wat other options do i have?

civicCXI
22-03-2006, 11:47 AM
it's a tough one. I suggest to get full exhaust system, cai, and unichip. Not so much gain, but ey better than nothing. Or could sell ur civic and get a performance car.

Zdster
22-03-2006, 11:54 AM
You could go turbo, but you just need to do a bit more prep. before doing so. Think about upgrading your internals if you want to go this approach.

Alternatively as civicCXI said you could go NA and just add an exhaust, intake upgrade your ecu etc.

If you are willing to search however, you should be able to find an 06 engine - if not in Australia try Japan (the cost from what I have seen is not that much more expensive).

krogoth
22-03-2006, 12:33 PM
wouldnt it just end up costing as much as a new engine by the time i get a 2nd hand one from japan?

with the import costs, like transport, customs etc, itl prob end up bein the same if just a little cheaper than a new one, but wen the time comes for serious changes(and the money, LOL), there should be some awesome engines locally for cheap

wat do guys think of a supercharger? maybe a bit more expensive than a turbo, it can be done though

Zdster
22-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Well I have never looked into a new engine from Honda, but it would still be cheaper to get one from Japan. It would probably be around $6-8000 to important a k20. Try speaking with one of the traders on the forum for more accurate costs though. At a guess a new engine from Honda would be around $15000???

Supercharging is another option - I think most people fall on the supercharging or turbocharging side of the fence. Try a bit of research (both on this site and wider) but my personal preference is to go for a turbo with a proper engine management system and think about engine internals.

krogoth
22-03-2006, 12:48 PM
thanks for the advice guys

ME want BIGGER balls For ma civic

krogoth
22-03-2006, 12:55 PM
btw if anyones thinkin y i wanna improve an 05 civic wen i could have waited a little longer and got an 06 civic

i didnt get the 8th gen civic, coz i thougt the 7th gen looks heaps beta than the 8th gen, thats just my opinion, though the k20 will prob have a higher potential wen it comes to improving power output and its simply a faster car stok

and one minor reason, LOL, is money

Zdster
22-03-2006, 12:59 PM
If money is an issue, then any of these mods wont be a quick upgrade :).

All of the options listed will cost a fair bit ;). Goodluck with your strategic thinking though.

simbadda54
22-03-2006, 04:47 PM
U know by buying a 20grand car a year ago and wanting an engine transplant is a total waste of money. U shoulda just bought a car with a better engine to start with instead of spendning another 5grand+ on an engine transplant after a year

krogoth
22-03-2006, 07:42 PM
LOL, i rekon man, but i wasnt talkin bout doin an engine transplant anytime soon, im just tryin to establish in ma mind a picture of wats possible and wat isnt

the sooner i establish a firm goal of wat im definetley plannin to do to ma baby, then ill have somethin else to motivate me to get thru uni, i just started a 5 year course and mostly i just hover above broke, LOL, i wont have anywhere near that kind of cash, till at least a year after i finish

im not dum enough to go out and throw away a brand new engine to replace it with another, wen the car itself hasnt even done 10k kmz yet

and bout ur suggestion to go out and buy a better car in the first place, well ya i would do that if i could afford it, but i couldnt, besides i love ma car and wen the time comes to do some serious mods, in the very distant future, ill have a unique car and fast car

buy a new stok car thats fast? wherez the fun in that? and everyone else just dismisses u for another rich brat, and doesnt even look twice, i dont want an accord euro with 22" rims and a 5" tip

simbadda54
23-03-2006, 09:34 AM
LOL, i rekon man, but i wasnt talkin bout doin an engine transplant anytime soon, im just tryin to establish in ma mind a picture of wats possible and wat isnt

the sooner i establish a firm goal of wat im definetley plannin to do to ma baby, then ill have somethin else to motivate me to get thru uni, i just started a 5 year course and mostly i just hover above broke, LOL, i wont have anywhere near that kind of cash, till at least a year after i finish

im not dum enough to go out and throw away a brand new engine to replace it with another, wen the car itself hasnt even done 10k kmz yet

and bout ur suggestion to go out and buy a better car in the first place, well ya i would do that if i could afford it, but i couldnt, besides i love ma car and wen the time comes to do some serious mods, in the very distant future, ill have a unique car and fast car

buy a new stok car thats fast? wherez the fun in that? and everyone else just dismisses u for another rich brat, and doesnt even look twice, i dont want an accord euro with 22" rims and a 5" tip

Woah a 5 year course. U probs will be getting a massive salary when u finish. Yea it is good to get things planned out b4 u do them tho and i wish u the best with wateva u do :thumbsup:

ps Integras wont make u look like a rich brat

shadou
30-03-2006, 02:37 PM
nice post man, im planning on doin an engine swap wen i get my 1st car it'll help me learn a lot since im currently doin auto mechanics and the civic i want doesnt exactly hav any "balls" as u sed. I'm still tryin to decide on the engine i want, so far ppl refer me to K20, H22a or the B16.. any comments on these??