PDA

View Full Version : Dirt in air Intake ¿prob?

wOlfee
21-03-2006, 06:16 PM
took my filter off my CAI and found dirt in the piping.. just wondering is this is really bad or common?

what will it do to the engine if sum dirt gets in? thanks for any help.

it's a 93 Si not that that's any help :cool:

Limbo
22-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Not a good sign as it means your filter is not doing its job. Recommend you get a better filter for your CAI.

If dirt gets in the intake your engine burns it and depending on what dirt it is can cause marking in your chambers or funny idling/running. Not a good thing, that's why we have air filters

EK9_boi
22-03-2006, 03:45 PM
took my filter off my CAI and found dirt in the piping.. just wondering is this is really bad or common?

what will it do to the engine if sum dirt gets in? thanks for any help.

it's a 93 Si not that that's any help :cool:

Not sure if you've seen this, but hope this helps ya! Let us know what you think. ;)

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

cheers

PS. - don't flame me, Ididn't do the test, I have a Blitz Sonic Power Air Cleaner in my ride too! :eek:

wOlfee
22-03-2006, 04:50 PM
it's a pretty good fully inclosed filter ill try a apexi power intake n see if that's better.

i think it might be in the piping PVC where it's getting in guy that owned the car befor me did bodgy job..

thanks..

does any1 no in sydney west where they sell apexi air filters?

wOlfee
22-03-2006, 08:31 PM
As long as the dirt and crap are in the piping BEFORE the filter no problem. If the crap is on the engine side of the filter then you have big problems.

engine side ye :o damn wot sort of probs?

ZeForce
22-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Yeh when my civic was off the road for a month or so, I took my pod filter off and there was a thin layer of fine dust sitting on the inside of my SRI piping.... It annoyed me a lot so I changed filters... Thinking of buying one of those AEM dryflow filters now...

wOlfee
22-03-2006, 09:37 PM
yeh was fine dust sort of shiet but fare ammount oh well change filter see is that helps :D

NeRV
22-03-2006, 09:56 PM
i found fine dust, that seemed similar to sand... in the inside of my intake arm from my stock box... but engine seemed to be fine... it wasnt much... so i guess its not enough to cause damage.

iced
22-03-2006, 11:43 PM
fine dust is normal.
even k&n cotton style filter still let in dirt.
they let in more than paper filter, hence you never see the claim, filters better than oem filter.

if you have pod filter behind the bumper than its more prone to dust/road dirt.

the affect on the engines life is negligible. Just maintain the car as you would and youll have no probs.

ECU-MAN
23-03-2006, 07:48 AM
that fine dust ( sand type of stuff ) is like sand paper to your rings and bore.

EK9_boi
23-03-2006, 08:19 AM
that fine dust ( sand type of stuff ) is like sand paper to your rings and bore.

just what I was thinking ;)