PDA

View Full Version : prelude take off!!

SOM-STA
22-03-2006, 01:06 AM
just had a quick question for any prelude vtir drivers ( i got a 97 ) wats the best rpm to lauch at i noticed wen i lauch at 4k or 5k i get decent wheels spin on regular tire pressure i was thinking of lauching at 3-3500 but i dunno if i would get a decent lauch anyone have tips or know how to do a perfect launch?

dc4t
22-03-2006, 11:45 AM
this aint comin from an actual prelude driver but my friend has a h22a in his accord.. he launches between 4-5000rpm.. thats probly the best launch coz u'll be launching right into vtec. launch too low and u'll find urself havin to wait for vtec

TheFranchise
22-03-2006, 12:57 PM
these type of questions are really annoying...sorry but its true

if you really wanna go about this though think about it....

if you launch at 4 and it spins.....obviously 3.5 would be tried next....yeah?

there really isnt a need for threads like this.....is there?

aaronng
22-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Launch 4k, but use your clutch to transfer power, don't just sidestep the clutch. It's wear your clutch but it accelerates fast without wheelspin.

SOM-STA
22-03-2006, 02:32 PM
these type of questions are really annoying...sorry but its true

if you really wanna go about this though think about it....

if you launch at 4 and it spins.....obviously 3.5 would be tried next....yeah?

there really isnt a need for threads like this.....is there?
if its so annoying dont answer it :thumbsup: ;)

BigWillieStyles
22-03-2006, 04:37 PM
This seems like a legit thread to me! I think about 4500 would be appropriate, but i have a H23 and i find 3000 - 3500 is best for me!

SOM-STA
22-03-2006, 04:54 PM
i've starting releasing the clutch slower instead of popping it at 4-4500 and it works pretty gud, thanks all for ur help

DLO01
22-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Its a pretty open question, what setup do you have?

If you wheel spinning excesivly, don't just automatically think your giving it too many Rpms, cause the most likley reason is the Driver, going down is Rpms is the probably the worst thing you could do initially. Practice your clutch control and you'll probably find you launches will get better and better without sacraficing Rpms.

redliner
23-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Depends on what tyres and rim size you got as well, with crappy silverstone i tend to get alot of wheel spin at 5000rpm, now i have starperforma launch at 5000rpm seems to hold well. So its pretty much trial and error.

preludacris
24-03-2006, 12:07 AM
yep

depends on tyres and other factors like pressure etc .

on the street i launch from about 3.5 to 4 max, coz i got shitty tyres . wheelspin isnt bad, u just dun want tooo much . ive done wheelspin launches, and actually pulled ahead of the other driver, when it grips, vtec time and bye bye !

usually if u wheel spin heaps, just stay calm and keep the throttle steady , and once u feel the car gripping u can plant it .

CUL8R
24-03-2006, 12:06 PM
it depends on how hard you want to try, if u need to kill an excel there no point dumping at 6k just take off easy at 2k, but if u need the best possible start theres only one real way to find the right rpm and thats to launch your car 10 times and see the best 60ft time.
launching a 3rd gen is VERY different than launching a 5th gen due to weight and engines, launching a 4th and 5th is different due to gearing and weight its a very hard topic to generalise.
at calder i would launch at 4200(early on) so ill be in vtec the whole way and gradually build the rpm up, but on the street this wouldnt be the best, i did a really good launch last night from 3500, not dump but feathered the clutch and i was 3 lengths infront of my mates delsol after 1st (amittably i dont have a stock setup, i was just taking it easy)
manual is all about technique and timing so play around and see what feels best, and isnt too violent on the car.