PDA

View Full Version : launching in auto

kiss
22-03-2006, 11:57 AM
dont know if its been asked before (but i have SEARCHED and no results)

what is the best or most efficient way to launch in an automatic?
also will it matter if you have TCS on or off etc

no0b for life!

simbadda54
22-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Take ur foot off the brake and hit accelerate lol

destrukshn
22-03-2006, 12:30 PM
kiss, i'll teach you
;)
lol.

TCS off! lol.
1. neutral bashing lol
2. stall it up by holding front brake and accelarting at the same time.
3. hold hand brake up and accelerate.
4. just floor it.

i'd prefer neutral bashing
lol.
nah, see what does it best for you.
but it will bound to break something doing it so many times.

aaronng
22-03-2006, 12:53 PM
You will "brake" something. HAha

Put it into 1st or D, press the brake pedal, give it 1/2 accelerator. Watch the RPM stall at 2000~ish rpm, and then simulaneously release the brake and floor the accelerator at the same time. :)

That's much better than revving it and then dropping from neutral to D.

quangsta
22-03-2006, 05:34 PM
yerr dropping from neutral to D doesnt do much i dont think remember trying in dads car all it does gives the car a massive jerk and starts of like if u would have starting off in D...i say hold brake and hand brake up and simultaneously drop them whilst 1/2 accelerating like aaronng said

integral90
22-03-2006, 06:36 PM
jumping from Nuetral to gear is stupid. and it won't give do much because the torque converter would rob most of the power from the drivetrain. best launch is probably letting off the brake (no gas) letting it roll, then flooring it. or you can have the brakes on, not the whole way, about half way down and rev. when the car starts to inch forwards then let off the brake and floor it

SiReal
22-03-2006, 06:38 PM
i heard that it stuffs up ur transmission and/or diff. can anyone prove/disprove this?

jackosimm
22-03-2006, 06:51 PM
i heard that it stuffs up ur transmission and/or diff. can anyone prove/disprove this?

Im sure something will give up after a while of doing it lol

EK9
22-03-2006, 10:04 PM
HAHAHA... droppin it from N to D is just gonna break ya gearbox. would advise against it

bennjamin
22-03-2006, 10:10 PM
just keep it in D with the handbrake up and revs up....the car will "grip" and try to move forward...
and go (down WSID ofcourse) just dump the handbrake lol

Q_ball
22-03-2006, 11:40 PM
why are we teachin this noob to race in an auto??
if you were serious about racing, then u shoulda got a manual car!
sif ud take an auto to WSID n e ways...stock auto that is!
9/10 chance this will be practised on public rds imo.

Slow96GSR
22-03-2006, 11:46 PM
LOL, that's why it's in the NOOB forum!! LOL!! No real racer drives an automatic car!

boinkboink
23-03-2006, 12:09 AM
try usin the lower gears =p
u know the 1,2,3 =p
lol
dunno if it works though but u seem to hit the redline much quicker

huynh12345
23-03-2006, 02:55 AM
gees just get a manual!!! problem solved

Da1nONLY
23-03-2006, 11:38 AM
u know the 1,2,3 =p
lol

i dont think you'll reach redline much quicker....ha! :p
1,2 and 3 just gives you that little bit of control over the D...
i.e probably extend the rev range a little longer before you change gears..

destrukshn
23-03-2006, 11:42 AM
i dont think you'll reach redline much quicker....ha! :p
1,2 and 3 just gives you that little bit of control over the D...
i.e probably extend the rev range a little longer before you change gears..

get back to work kieth.
lol.

Da1nONLY
23-03-2006, 11:50 AM
get back to work kieth.
lol.

Awww do i have to?? :)
im on mah lunch break! :)

kiss
23-03-2006, 03:55 PM
man most of you guys are auto haters!! sorry you guys are so cool driving manual, i just asked cause its never been discussed before (not that i've seen yet) and would be good to clear it up!

i like my auto, nothin wrong with cruising aye!

j-specAccord
23-03-2006, 04:02 PM
hahaha

im a auto hater! and proud of it! but that is my opinion (and auto 'drivers' are not gay, only thier gearbox lol so dont be offended)
its just they sound poo, you cant get maximum useage of your engine and the ratios are all stuffed up.. plus where is the fun? stop, go, stop, go hooray

aimre
23-03-2006, 10:19 PM
arent most drags cars auto??

F1's were auto (or atleast on up shifts i believe)
So were rally cars at somestage

Ever Race a DECENT Auto, It would chop a manual simply coz

1. no letting of the gas
2. no letting engine go of the driveline.

Next time ur at the light, next to a commo, take of the same speed as it (NO dont race it, its prolly just a mum taking kids to soccer) and just keep up with it, then watch when u cange gears, you will drop back a bit.

integraz
24-03-2006, 10:48 AM
yeah most drag cars are autos, but there built autos which are most of the time > than manual, because fast shifting and more agressive shifting and fast take off.

built auto + turbo= fast [drags]

wlee2
24-03-2006, 11:02 AM
yeah most drag cars are autos, but there built autos which are most of the time > than manual, because fast shifting and more agressive shifting and fast take off.

built auto + turbo= fast [drags]

auto???

Edit: FYI http://auto.howstuffworks.com/sequential-gearbox.htm

they still call it a sequential gearbox or a sequential manual transmission.

they use a sequential Gearbox... something similar to what motorcycles use..
its not an auto.. they gears do not upshift themself...

F1 cars use something extreeemly strange but i remmeber it does actually have a clutch.. AFAIK

auto gearboxes usually have a torque converter. which prettymuch replaces the clutch..

Just adding more Quote : www.howstuffworks.com

Because of the advantages of the sequential approach, this type of transmission is starting to appear on cars in the high-end tuner market. A sequential manual transmission is not to be confused with a "tiptronic" sort of automatic transmission. The tiptronic system may duplicate the shift lever motion of a sequential gearbox. However, because a tiptronic transmission is an automatic transmission (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission.htm) at its core, it still has the torque converter (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm) and usually does not shift as quickly.

JaCe
24-03-2006, 01:02 PM
I'm inclined to wonder if it's really worth... racing in an auto to begin with.

JaCe
24-03-2006, 01:03 PM
u know the 1,2,3 =p
lol

I'm too lazy to fetch my Civic manual but there's a list of criteria as to what happens when you use different gears in automatic and how long they are stretched for... if anyone cares, look in your manual. Or if noone has one, I'll scan it later for you to see. IIRC 3rd gear in my Civic goes up to 176km/h!

Jnr_Mint
25-03-2006, 05:30 PM
I like the way "most" people bag autos and that manuals are better, coz there quicker
THATS SUCH BS... it all goes back to the quality of driver - u can have a manual s2000 but if u cant drive the fkn thing ur gonna lose to an excel, and its funny how the quickest cars on the track are all autos!! on all new cars the new 6 speed gearboxes are proven quicker than the manual boxes anyways
ive got an auto LS and i love it!, no it aint no powerhouse but it goes good for a 4cylinder. Thats my 2 cents

krogoth
26-03-2006, 04:43 PM
MAN, stuff that, even if automatics are faster in some conditions, they are BORING to drive, where the fun? press the accel, then brake

id be dead if i drove an auto, even more dead if the auto had cruise control. LOL
id sleep wile drivin and wrap the car around a pole

manual makes driving fun. and the same engine manual, generaly has a higher power output than the same engine automatic, and beta fuel efficiency

and with a manual, u r in complete control of the car, u can slow down more quikly than an automatic and drive in high revs in the rain for more control, and no lag

Q_ball
27-03-2006, 07:52 PM
MAN, stuff that, even if automatics are faster in some conditions, they are BORING to drive, where the fun? press the accel, then brake

id be dead if i drove an auto, even more dead if the auto had cruise control. LOL
id sleep wile drivin and wrap the car around a pole

manual makes driving fun. and the same engine manual, generaly has a higher power output than the same engine automatic, and beta fuel efficiency

and with a manual, u r in complete control of the car, u can slow down more quikly than an automatic and drive in high revs in the rain for more control, and no lag

krogoth
27-03-2006, 10:34 PM
OH, and one more thing

it takes skill and co-ordination to drive a manual, its not for everyone, some people are just incapable of drivin a manual

ma 1000 year old grandma can drive an auto

Da1nONLY
28-03-2006, 10:57 AM
exactly why manuals are better suited for the track :)

Quentin.. i thnk you should run your car around the track :) on the 10th April!

SiReal
28-03-2006, 11:08 AM
I used to have that mentality of manual being cool and auto for grannies, but now i drive an auto non tiptronic accord and i;m loving it. so relaxing and i can really focus on crusiing and listening to great music. Afterall, how often do most people track let alone require that extra degree of control? Put things in perspective first. It also comes down to when and where they drive. I.e. heavy traffic, open roads, etc etc.

Also, it is physically uncomfortable to drive manual now as I have knee problems. tense, cracking and very tender after driving manual. So would i rather drive manual now and risk damage? Or walk in the future? It comes down to priorities and being sensible about your choices.

Da1nONLY
28-03-2006, 11:19 AM
I used to have that mentality of manual being cool and auto for grannies, but now i drive an auto non tiptronic accord and i;m loving it. so relaxing and i can really focus on crusiing and listening to great music. Afterall, how often do most people track let alone require that extra degree of control? Put things in perspective first. It also comes down to when and where they drive. I.e. heavy traffic, open roads, etc etc.

Also, it is physically uncomfortable to drive manual now as I have knee problems. tense, cracking and very tender after driving manual. So would i rather drive manual now and risk damage? Or walk in the future? It comes down to priorities and being sensible about your choices.

Each to their own dude! =)
i'd personally prefer manual over auto.
why??? as mentioned previously.. you'll get more control.
entering a corner, exiting a corner, on an auto it'll be very limiting =)
all depends on what purpose your using your car for...
but as this thread states... its about launching a car in auto...
not about Manual Vs Auto! ;) ;)
but if youve got any disability, for e.g youve mentioned knee injuries..
then auto would suit you more.... but if youve got itchy fingers and 2 heavy feet like me... then i'd go with the manual. :)

krogoth
28-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Each to their own dude! =)

then auto would suit you more.... but if youve got itchy fingers and 2 heavy feet like me... then i'd go with the manual. :)

LOL
__________________________________________________ ______________
some fag i know killed his xr6 au falcon rapidly switching from D to 1 to 2 etc, it killed his gearbox

EK9_boi
28-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Autos are great "training" cars in that you can learn the basics of controlling the car without worrying about gearing. It's the basics of car control that's ultimately what's going to make you a fast driver - Here are some techniques you can practise in an auto:

1) correct braking (including judging braking distance in relation to road speed and corner type, braking to the threshold of lock) - important for corner entry when braking is needed.

2) line selection - choosing the best line through each corner will shave BIG time off your laps or downhill runs!

3) left-foot braking (particularly useful as most Honda's are of FF drivetrain config.) - eliminates understeer when entering a corner at speed.

4) downshifting from D to 2nd without worrying about heel-toe to power out of corners.

5) Handbrake turns/180's

So don't knock autos...THAT much! Often those who transition from auto to manual become faster and more cofident drivers owing to the fact that they've got the most out of their auto car before hand! ;)

Anyway let's stay on topic guy otherwise the mods will own your a$$es!

cheers

civicCXI
28-03-2006, 04:48 PM
hmmm, should I start discussion on launching manual cars?

krogoth
28-03-2006, 05:00 PM
LOL, y not?

i drop from 2000rpm, gear 1, on dry rd, drop clutch completley

4000rpm in gear 2 if raining, and vary clutch, not just drop it

these are for best launch obviously from stop, my opinion

czy_sol87
28-03-2006, 05:31 PM
i launch my delsol, at 3-4k rpm, cause theres not much torque downlow, but i dont just drop the clutch, i drag it out so the tires dont spin. i find that if u rev it to about 3-4k rpm the car doesnt bog down much, anything above 4k rpm i find there is too much wheel spin. but i recall someone telling me that i should launch at 5500rpm to use the most of vtec, tried it but too much wheel spin unless im doing something wrong, maybe need to ride the clutch more

integral90
28-03-2006, 06:39 PM
i rev it at about 3 or 4k and drop the clutch, then give it gas. if the wheels are starting to grip i give it a bit more so they still shudder a bit and don't grip quickly and steal all the power.

krogoth
28-03-2006, 06:44 PM
ive done 9.5 sec 0-100, LOL, ma mate and i were timin it, it was up a hill 2, so i could prob pull high 8z on a straight

Running 98octane though, LOL

got the 9.5s 0-100 launchin from 2000rpm and dropping the clutch and pressin the accel to the floor, little weel spin, but great traction

civicCXI
28-03-2006, 10:23 PM
hmmm...should update the title to launching in auto/manual.

by dropping the clutch, u mean just let go the clutch completely all of sudden without bringing it to the point where the car just start rolling?
I tried something like that before, but maybe i didn't rev it coz i dun have tacho, i just sorta take off the clutch and at the same time floor the gas. Car feels like it's gonna stall, so i step on the clutch and floor it again.

EK9_boi
29-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Back on topic guys - let's help launch this n00b's auto car. ;)

but honestly not too sure why you guys care so much about launching unless you're regular participants of the traffic-light grand prix....

Corners mate!.. that's where we separate the men from the boys!!!

cheers

krogoth
29-03-2006, 12:32 PM
but honestly not too sure why you guys care so much about launching unless you're regular participants of the traffic-light grand prix

LOL, ey man, in melbourne its called hooning on princess highway(caulfield to dande section) , *** that section is bad on a saturday nite! lol

have u got tiptronic auto trans? im not sure about ur car, but i can get some petty cool results with ma mums ba falcon futura, man that car is mean

EK9_boi
29-03-2006, 12:48 PM
LOL, ey man, in melbourne its called hooning on princess highway(caulfield to dande section) , *** that section is bad on a saturday nite! lol

That's crap! Too straight, I'll fall asleep! ;) give me Mountain hwy downhill or blackspur...hehe ;)

have u got tiptronic auto trans? im not sure about ur car, but i can get some petty cool results with ma mums ba falcon futura, man that car is mean

Hey! I'm not the auto n00b here! I'm not driving currently! still got 31 days before I'm off the Pigs' hitlist. Then it'll be time to go buy a car. ;)

cheers

krogoth
29-03-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm not driving currently! still got 31 days before I'm off the Pigs' hitlist. Then it'll be time to go buy a car. ;)

cheers

LOL, pigs hit list? howd u get on their hitlist?? LOL, i have lost count of the number of times that i could have been put on the pigs hitlist, LOL, but ive been luky and im not pushin ma luk anymore, 10k kmz of insane hooning and not a fine!

oh btw ek9boi, wat car where u drivin wen u got on the pigs hitlist? and wat road? and wat speed etc?

AND, r u a p plater?

EK9_boi
30-03-2006, 07:58 AM
oh btw ek9boi, wat car where u drivin wen u got on the pigs hitlist? and wat road? and wat speed etc?

AND, r u a p plater?

I like to keep my info to myself. Suffice to say I was being an idiot on my "local circuit".

and no, I'm not a P-plater - inexperience was not the reason why I got caught.

Cops are everywhere now, and a lot of them stake out the roads that everybody likes - you will get caught sooner or later.

cheers

Nodachi
30-03-2006, 10:04 AM
I like my auto Civic, when i turn corner it automaticly down gear for me and thus exit quicker.. oh.. plus i'm goin in wakies with the auto so stay put for the time there.. w00t:D

EK9_boi
31-03-2006, 12:49 PM
I like my auto Civic, when i turn corner it automaticly down gear for me and thus exit quicker.. oh.. plus i'm goin in wakies with the auto so stay put for the time there.. w00t:D

Autos are good if you can reprogram the shiftpoints. Most autos that I've encounted (not to many) Mitsu magna and a corolla (friends' cars) short-shifts between gears and annoy the heck out of me if I really want to squeeze out more power at the higher revs...

Manuals don't have that problem! :p but there are other techniques you've got to learn to get the most out of the car eg. engine braking, and heel-toe. ;)

cheers

integraz
31-03-2006, 02:06 PM
wlee2: yes most v8 drag cars do use autos, and some also use sequential manual [ which you are talking about, but thats not i was trying to say], but what i was talking about is actual normal autos, with normal torque convertors, such as 2speed powerglides, etc etc, those are essential autos, which u can manually shift, abit like tiptonic.

And there are just autos, where u just let it do the work, cause the torque convertor is moving, even when stationary, u can build up the auto with a higher stall, ie/ 4000rpm, where you can spool up the turbos even before take off= faster acceleration, and hardly any lag between gears.

If you have seen or heard about the rigoli WRX which is the fastest in the world[ i think still], that uses a normal subaru auto, but with built internals, and can be manually shifted with buttons, or going through the actual gears [ ie L, 2, 3 , D]
And i think most WRxs which are in the 9- 10 sec bracket are autos.

integraz
31-03-2006, 02:13 PM
But there is a thing which is even better than manual, and auto, where you can still have the manual feel [ without a clutch] and without the lag of tiptronic or auto, and also even faster than manual...

The DSG gearbox, which is set to be revolutionary, there is a Best motoring test about it in the new VW Golf Gti, and you can just see the power, its nearly identical to F1 shifting, where you see the tacho needle pull all the way up without any sort of lag.

DSG gearbox vs manual box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V16_x...arch=type%20-r

spardikis
31-03-2006, 08:51 PM
I think that autos shouldnt be launched.

however - i had a mate with a honda vigour auto....the idle was really high like at 2krpm (was bugger'd), so before he put it into 'D' he had to turn on the air con to lower the rev's!!! If he didnt do this it would smash into gear and occasionaly squeek the wheels.

so mabey you auto guys should pull a vaccume hose, make the idle go out of control and get a great launch;)

someone try it and tell us how it goes...after all this is a nobb thread:)

krogoth
01-04-2006, 05:19 PM
so mabey you auto guys should pull a vaccume hose, make the idle go out of control and get a great launch;)

someone try it and tell us how it goes...after all this is a nobb thread:)

LOL, ill try it on ma dads explorer, hahahahaha, break the gearbox

on a serious note, ma mumz falcon ba has an awesome gearbox, its auto and if u press the pedal in the rite way, ull get it to shift at 7k rpm, LOL, i dont trust the thing, i sit there wonderin wen the hell its gonna change, sometimes i take ma foot off coz i think the stupid gearbox isnt gonna change

another way u could get an awesome start is by turning th3 car around and starting off in reverse, then pull a J turn and throw the car around 180 degrees and shove it into drive, LOL, ull get a 0 to 100km/h in 3 seconds, HAHAHHHAHAHAHA