PDA

View Full Version : Horse power per dollar best engine mod

rockyvtir
20-04-2004, 03:20 PM
hi guys just a question

i've recently bought a 94 integra vti-r after selling my 180sx.

what would you consider the best power mod per dollar value to be made to an itr?

thanks for your help

shauno

Jim80y
20-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Tough question. My money would be on some sort of engine computer or header.

Javed
20-04-2004, 03:36 PM
t-u-r-b-o. Unless like me you would want to keep the NA kickin, I/H/E. Nice cold air intake, mugen headers or similar (hehe) and stainless catback with good flow and no bottlenecks.

wynode
20-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Depends on how much money you want to throw at it.

If you have around 5-6K then look at a turbo setup (but given that you switched from a 180SX i'd say you don't want to do this!)

But apart from that, i would go with a set of JDM ITR headers, 2.5" Cat back mandrel bent exhaust, Intake modifications (remove existing intake resonator and get an aftermarket filter), and go for an aftermarket ECU.

SHould be less that 5K :)

TODA AU
20-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Without programable aftermarket management (ECU) none of the poported bang for buck mods that affect the engine do a great deal...
Remember, it's a MAP sensored system...
Things that improve mechanical efficiency are always top of the pops for real value...
Lightweight flywheels, lower final drives, close ratio gear sets etc...
These are where you aught to start...

rockyvtir
26-04-2004, 11:08 AM
hey thanks guys for your response.

basically so far i've fitted a cold air kit and most likely an exhaust in the nxt few days.

i would love to set it up with a full toda race set up but at the moment im limited for cash.

i'm trying to stay away from turbo this time simply because i can. the range of parts available for n/a hondas is simply mind blowing.

thanks again guys and keep the suggestions coming

VTEC16
26-04-2004, 11:11 AM
what cold air intake did u get?

how much did u want to spend on the engine?

rockyvtir
26-04-2004, 11:49 AM
got my mate to fab up an aem style gold air kit

not sure how much i want to spend at the moment as i need wheels as im only running stock wheesl and it is in need of some serious lowering no im probably going for looks first

eventually i'd like to spend maybe 10 g on the motor but most likely do that in steps

has any one played with a vtec contrller on this model?

my car only really seems to pull between 6 and 8 and while i love this any way is there any gains in adjusting it lower?

VTEC16
26-04-2004, 03:13 PM
cool! post pics of the intake if you can...

if you lower it, get springs AND SHOCKS!

10gs is a lot! ....try to decide where you want to be after all that money...rather than buying things indevidually.

A common VTEC controller is the Apexi VAFC...but most ppl use these as a way of controlling the fuel, as apposed to moving the crossover point. On a stock engine, there are no gains to be had moving this crossover point, but apparently some gains can be had by changing it on a modified engine. Of course all tweaking of fuel and vtec points must be done on a dyno with the correct equipment. You can also go for a fully programmable ECU, which, if your gonna be spending lots of money, you may as well do. These offer much better resolution in tuning and many more features and control - they are more expensive however. (look into hondata).

Toby
27-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Good to see you came back to the Honda camp :D

rockyvtir
27-04-2004, 10:58 PM
all votes on toby changing his profile pic say IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

yeah im not sure where i want to end up out of all of this

in the end i would like to set it up for track work but also im leaning more towards a pretty showing look as well.

if i go to showy i won't bother to with too many engine mods just basics.

Toby
30-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Change my avatar........
http://img44.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Toby83/Other%20Pics/Gary.jpg

:D

skoota
30-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Nah, I like his profile pic. I mean, look at my piece of shit - can someone get me a good one???? :cry: