PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass easy or hard to use?

CJL
20-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Is fiberglass hard to use cause i wanna do a custom boot install for my suby instead of using the normal box.... Also will it still sound good
:)

SIKCVC
20-04-2004, 04:44 PM
It sounds exactly the same... and yes its easy to use.

but VERY time consuming... took me 2 weeks (on and off) to make dual fibreglass boxes. Dont try and make 2 its ****ing hard to make them identical.

A'PEXi
20-04-2004, 08:30 PM
not rocket science... but i think ive read something about getting it to hold up and sit steady in the boot under driving conditions etc.

CJL
20-04-2004, 10:08 PM
Might have to give it a go my sub is heavy in its normal box about 18-20kg's

SIKCVC
20-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Like i said i've got twin boxes in my car and i had one in there to see how it would go... nothing else to hold it but the perfect fit you get with FG and it didn't budge at all... never has... neither have my newly fitted 6x9 pods.

my twin sub boxes weigh the same as one box (same volume as one) in MDF

My whole boot install weighs about 30kgs... including subs amp boxes covers etc.

I can email you a mini tutorial i made on how to make speaker pods its basically EXACTLY the same, except a bigger scale... and i made refrence as to how they're different half way through... also theres a few sites on how to do it too. Use my tutorial and their pics and you'll have no trouble.

SIKCVC
20-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Speaking of Fibre Glass if anyone can't handle it, or MDF for that matter give me a PM its what we doo...

toE
20-04-2004, 11:40 PM
once again...wat DO you do SIKCVC??

SIKCVC
21-04-2004, 12:11 AM
Boot installs?

During the week MDF sub boxes when people need them and Boot installs on weekends. Sometimes During the week depending on other comitments.

SIKCVC
21-04-2004, 12:14 AM
oh and after seeing the price of speaker pods... i may be doing custom pods. But most guys can do it on there own and i'd rather save them the cash.

crx2gen
21-04-2004, 12:56 AM
Be careful with the hardener compound....

SIKCVC
21-04-2004, 01:58 AM
yo mentioned in the tutorial... :P theres so many things... i paniced so much when i did my first layer hhahahaha... theres no need to rush :P

toE
21-04-2004, 03:14 AM
maybe you could post it up here as a DIY article and maybe get the mods to "archive" it for when the DIY forum's up and running. :)

ps. SIKCVC - do u work from home or @ a retail outlet or sumtin?? Curious.. :)

SIKCVC
21-04-2004, 01:15 PM
uuummmm are you with the tax office? coz if you are... i only do it for mates... as a friendly gesture.

Yeah I'll post it up when the DIY is ready :P its a pretty big peice and will need more work since i just typed it quickly off the top of my head. Its basicly an extention of those picture tutorials that you can get on the net, however it gives it from a nuebies point of view instead of an experts opinion.

toE
21-04-2004, 02:27 PM
uuummmm are you with the tax office? coz if you are... i only do it for mates... as a friendly gesture.

lol...somebody's been doing "sumtin" ... :lol: aheha...i was just curious mate...

fueltank
22-04-2004, 10:20 AM
This is how I made my pods in the kickpanel.
- Cut ring to mount the speaker out of MDF.
- Using bits of MDF and wood glue, support the MDF ring to the angle you want
- Put a screw through the ring and the supports
- Stretched a stocking over the entire kickpanel
- Using superglue, I put dabs of it in places so I got the shape/curves I wanted.
EDIT: put some super glue around the ring so you can cut a hole for the speaker to go it.
- After I got the curve/shape I was happy with, I used fibreglass resin and painted the stocking with it.
- Then I put a few more coats of the resin on. About 5 coats all up I think.
- Then I used a another stocking over it and again put another 5 or so coats of fibreglass resin
- After that you can either buy some vinyl to cover it or sand it down and spray it.

Not sure how good it will work technically, but it looks good :D

SIKCVC
22-04-2004, 10:39 PM
**** you used a lot of resin... how much all up dude??? I use 500ml to do my fleece and i layer of 600gm glass. on 2 6x9 pods... fair bit bigger than 6' split pods...

fueltank
29-04-2004, 09:27 AM
f*ck you used a lot of resin... how much all up dude??? I use 500ml to do my fleece and i layer of 600gm glass. on 2 6x9 pods... fair bit bigger than 6' split pods...

I didn't use that much actually....1/2 a tin? :P
and they were 4" splits.
but yeah, they looked good 8)

SIKCVC
29-04-2004, 10:16 AM
1/2 a tin of what :P 4lters hahaha

Yeah they would look goo. pods are awseme... I just wish i could be bothered sanding my boxes and pods back so i can spray it... but to expencive to have sprayed and too lazy.

fueltank
29-04-2004, 04:41 PM
how many people stick their head down @ your kickpanels to look @ your pods paint job in a normal car?

hahaha I think it was like a 1L or 500ml tin...it was many moons ago!

SIKCVC
29-04-2004, 07:11 PM
haha i wish i could be that lazzy but mines a full boot install. Would look really shit if i didn't sand and fill it properly.