PDA

View Full Version : D16Y4(sohc) + D16 Twin Cam Head- Possible??

Sexc86
22-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Hey Guys,

First of all i have done some research and searches so please do not flame me as i have not found an answer to my specific questions.

Firstly I am building a High power D16y4. It has had an extensive head port and polish, however upon doing research i have found out the d16y4 heads are quite restrictive, and think this could be an obstacle for the future.

To overcome this i have been seriously thinking about the y8 Head mini me conversion and heace getting that ported and polished too. And then the idea came to me about a zc D16 Dohc Head on the y4 Block? Firstly is it even possible as a strait swap such as a y8 head? If not how little / much work is involved?

Also are the y4 heads basically a lost cause no matter what work done to them? or if you give them a good port and polish as i have done? ia there much room for bigger and better potential?

If the zc head is even possible which would have bigger and better potential for a high powered turbo setup the twin cam non tec or single cam vtec.
---- takeing into account that you can utilise the twin cams on the zc, but being able to utilise the vtec on the sohc

I have also purchased Eagle H beam Forged rods and Arias 1.8 Over sized pistons (low comp), to suit my d16y4... should this be a problem for a zc or y1/y8 head?

Let me know your thoughts guys!

Weq
22-03-2006, 08:31 PM
all heads are interchangeable. the y1 head is the best of all d's. stock. ive seen a fe HiPO DOHC's though. both are a good platform, cept y1 has more aftermarket support.

NeRV
22-03-2006, 09:54 PM
I thought the ZC was the odd D series engine, which was the only DOHC D and that its parts are not compatible or interchangeable with any other D engine... im not too sure on this... but ive read it on D-Series.org... which i found is a pretty good site with heaps of info on D series engines, im also planning on doing a mini me on my b7... so im still in the process of doing my homework.. just correct me if im wrong.

EG5[KRT]
22-03-2006, 10:02 PM
hey nerv why dont u buy a d16y1 engine and put in ur car ?

or a zc engine ??

iamhappy46
22-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Sexc86: The SOHC VTEC head actually do flow quite well and once they are boosted, the N/A flow characteristics/restrictions are negliable.

y4 head should suit your setup if it is being boosted but as Weq said, the y1 head is a much better design.

NeRV
22-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Good question... lol.... im still not sure... its just on those US forums they state.. that with a D15b7 mated with a z6/y8 Vtec head will bump the compression ratio up... and would produce more power then the D16y8 etc... and that it would be cheaper... but yeah im still trying to research on this stuff... ive been ringing wreckers and asking if they have the parts im after... but so far no luck... seems like the only engines wreckers keep are the DOHC VTEC's... im not after blinding speed... just wanna track my car and give it just that extra omph it needs... cause yeah im on a budget LOL

EG5[KRT]
22-03-2006, 10:14 PM
the z6 is the y1

which is in the vti hatch.i think for a budget the d16y1 is pretty good
96 kw at the fly and about 77kw atw

but yeah im biased coz i have one :D

NeRV
22-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks for correcting me man.. ive been reading too much US junk.. lol... never even knew of the y1... but since its the z6.. its made things abit clear :thumbsup:

man your pushing more at the wheels then what im pushing at the engine LOL :( .... wanna sell me your engine?? cheap cheap? ;) haha

EG5[KRT]
22-03-2006, 10:34 PM
thats a stock y1

mine has a little more lol

u coming to honda nissan ?? to watch ??

NeRV
22-03-2006, 10:40 PM
i originally wanted too mate... but i got uni on Friday... :thumbdwn:
Looks like alot of Honda's have dropped out... all the best.. and have fun man!

sivic
23-03-2006, 12:19 AM
the best place to take this up would be d-series.org
yeah, i've also heard the A8 head isnt interchangable.
as far as the mini me swap onto the B7 goes....... i've to heard it results in about 11:1 CR and makes more power than a Y8 but a guy did it here and the resulting dyno figures were a little dissapointing (read: less than stock Y4). however this may have been due to a number of factors such as ecu etc.. i'm sure it has been done with good results but a stock y1 or y8 may be the go for a swap and base for turbo.

Sexc86
23-03-2006, 05:37 AM
Wow thanks guys for some unreal response!..... considering i am planning for this to be a high hp D after consideration i believe the y4 head will still be much too restrictive even takeing into the extensive port and polish. After Much Dicussion with Weq Im certain on going on the Y1 head on my y4 Block.

As my y4 block has been completely acid bathed, blueprinted and blanced as well as a block guard and more etc etc. The Y1 Head will be useing with a stage 2 cam, upgraded valve train and nitrated valve or even oversized if possible. Also getting that ported and polished and used with a skunk 2 intake mani + 70mm TB + port matched to suit.

Are the pistons interchangeable between the y1 and y4? as i have allready purchsed forgies for my y4 should they pose a problem if i change the head?

Anyway after a y4 head with an extensive port and polish? had no road use what so ever and the motor has not even been started yet

Sexc86
23-03-2006, 08:45 AM
why even bother with the sohc

To quote weq...... 2 doesnt mean better then 1....
I am looking for which will have the best potential in the future for power output and i have been hearing the d16y1 head is the best option

NeRV
23-03-2006, 03:41 PM
hey sivic do you have more info on what happened with the B7 mini me? its interesting how in the states, they pull off high CR's and say its bang for your bucks.. just wondering if all this is possible and true...

sivic
23-03-2006, 05:56 PM
see if you can quiz Jr on that one. its his engine. he's on these forums.
but from what i know it was a Y1 head on a D15B7 block. it made about 10 less hp atw than the D16Y1's and ZC's. but it could have been a result of tune. i think he used a stock D16Y1 ecu so might not have been optimum.
funny thing was it was still pretty quick, quicker than Cxi's which were making more power so...... who knows.
i'm often quite skeptical about some of the stuff on the US forums. while there is plenty of good info on there, there is also heaps of poop. has anyone actually produced a dyno chart for a mini me which has made the intended power? cos i wouldnt mind seeing a comparison

NeRV
23-03-2006, 07:11 PM
yeah i would also like to see some dyno charts too see the proof on power gains from a mini me conversion... ill try search it up... did your friend dyno his car? sometimes dyno's can be abit off... i mean 7.46kw isnt that much... i guess its best when Jr comes on to answer all of this... but do you know what ecu the stock D16y1 runs? is it the P28 Ecu??

this statement that i read on a forum is what got me interested in this mini me...

"im gonna vote for the b7 to be honest.... decent power for a 1.5l, not a bad r/s ratio, a mini-me with a z6 head + b16 ecu = high revving VTEC sohc...

a b7/z6 mini-me with b16 ecu is like a sohc b16

EDIT::: ^^ with more torque!!!!!1"

NeRV
23-03-2006, 07:19 PM
oh yeah Sexc86 i think the y1 head is a good choice... which head gasket are you gonna use??

sivic
23-03-2006, 07:22 PM
yeah dont know about running a B16 ECU on a D. i'm sure its been tried plenty of times, though i doubt it would run that flash. i dont think theres a lot of factual evidence to back up that statement you quoted.
yeah Jr's car was dynoed on a dyno day we had so we were able to make proper comparisons between cars on the same dyno on the same day. it was making about 10hp less atw than the D16Y1's and ZC's and about 3hp less than the Y4's. 10hp isnt heaps but its def noticable when your dealing with figures around the 100hp mark.
i reckon you'd be better off with a straight Y8/Y1 swap and building that. you can get everything for that - pistons, rods, valvetrain, cam etc.....
but yeah pm Jr and you can suss exactly what he did

one thing, as far as the Y1 and Z6 being the same, i've heard the cam timing might be slighty different not 100% though. you may want to try D-series.org for that although they may not be too cluey about the Y1 either as they got the Z6 instead in N.America. i think ppl assume they the same as they were the equivalent of each in their time (EG w/ SOHC VTEC). just something to check before buying Z6 parts for the Y1.

Jr
23-03-2006, 07:47 PM
hey sivic do you have more info on what happened with the B7 mini me? its interesting how in the states, they pull off high CR's and say its bang for your bucks.. just wondering if all this is possible and true...

Ban for ur bucks, YES $700 all up for me, dyno was strange due to Timing and ECU tune but sivic has seen it going he can vouch on performance. Any Q about D mini me PM or email me happy to answer

Lukezen27
23-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Hm

I was under the impression D16Z6 and D16Y1 parts were interchangeable

I was looking to upgrade my drive train with D16Z6 Crower cam and spring

I asked http://www.tunerschoice.com/ (http://www.tunerschoice.com/) if they would if and they told me they would

I think Weq has had em in his D16Y1 at some point in da passed?

NeRV
23-03-2006, 07:56 PM
thanks for the info sivic... its really nice to hear from other aussies, since things are different over here then the US, JR ill be pm'ing you soon mate :thumbsup:

Lukenzen27: The D16y1 and the D16z6 are similar as stated by sivic, so im sure the parts are interchangeable... i think you were reading about the ZC not being interchangeable.

Lukezen27
23-03-2006, 08:00 PM
thanks for the info sivic... its really nice to hear from other aussies, since things are different over here then the US, JR ill be pm'ing you soon mate :thumbsup:

Lukenzen27: The D16y1 and the D16z6 are similar as stated by sivic, so im sure the parts are interchangeable... i think you were reading about the ZC not being interchangeable.

Oh sorry lol

My bad

Weq
23-03-2006, 08:04 PM
DOHC heads can be used on SOCH blocks, im sure. people use DOHC blocks with y1 heads all the time.

z6 and y1 are 99% the same. all parts interchangable.

Jr
23-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Heres some info on compression Z6 / D15 - 10.10:1 and Y8 / D15 - 10.52:1.

sivic
23-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Ban for ur bucks, YES $700 all up for me, dyno was strange due to Timing and ECU tune but sivic has seen it going he can vouch on performance. Any Q about D mini me PM or email me happy to answer
yeah it probly is the best bang for buck mod for a D15B7. it really does depend on how cheap you can get it done.
yeah, it was running kinda funny that day compared to other occasions. other times it has chopped nicely;)
i reckon some tuning would do wonders.

Jr
23-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Yah day b4 i replaced Dizzy, no timing light DIY timing = BAD

FLiP86
23-03-2006, 08:50 PM
hey all

this is a very informative thread lol i'm waiting for NeRV to hook up his mini me and see if it's worth doin and cost wise b4 i think about it...

question tho: i got the d16y4 would it be worth the mini me conversion for the average price mentioned? i'm totally new to all this car stuff but have learnt a fair bit this year alone lol but how much power gain would i get if i did do it (from my research jst under 10kws yay or ney?) and if it's not worth it wat would u guys recomend i do?

just my ol car was a V6 n steppin down to a 4 cylinder makes me miss my power so keep me posted

Sexc86
23-03-2006, 08:53 PM
wow i cant believe how off topic this thred has got...

FLiP86
23-03-2006, 08:57 PM
haha did i push it to far? lol i jst thought since yall talking about it may as well ask

Weq
23-03-2006, 10:05 PM
mini-me isnt off topic. u asked about headswaps :P

Sexc86
24-03-2006, 05:26 AM
i was asking about y4 mini mes..... not b7 enen though i got a b7 in my car atm:P

Weq
24-03-2006, 02:20 PM
all are basically the same.
u will have to research on how it will effect ur timing. if u use an odb1 head, u will have to change ur ingition setup. my mate went for a y8 head on his y7 to save complications.

Sexc86
25-03-2006, 07:33 AM
the motor in my car at the moment, is a b7 obd1.. (correct if wrong) i am building a y4 block with y1 head, are these both obd1 or obd2 or one of each?

Weq
25-03-2006, 03:39 PM
the head is the important part. ur current setup should be compatible witht he y1, no worries.