PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love my honda >:|

Rufes1
20-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Decided to go for a drive with a few mates into the city (i live in the shire) and was near briton came out of a set of traffic lights and it got locked in first and after some wrestlying popped out and everything was fine.

Then close to alexandria the box felt really tight however lossened up to normal every now and again so I thought nothing of it. Finally coming out of a set of lights on South Dowling approaching oxford went from 1st to 2nd put it in 3rd and BANG the lost every gear. Managed to roll it into the big Shell opposite the Supa Centre and decided to give it one last try so I very slowly let the clutch out in first and the revs slowly dropped and popped it out of first.

So I get out and all the gear box oil is pissing out and im like just great so I call a towey and get it towed to my mechanic in a very dodgey area to leave till Monday :\ .

What Im wondering is do you recon the whole gear box is F*&CKED or mebe it dropped down or something... Remember my clutch was semi on its way out however cause of the bang and the gear box oil i dont think it is clutch related.

Thanks for any suggestions all :oops:

wynode
20-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Hmmm did you force it into gear at all?

Also how much oil is gone.......and whats the cause of it?

If/when you fill it up with oil and it gets into gear OK you might be fine.

Otherwise a full strip down of the box will be necessary (that means more $$$).

Might wanna tell us what car it is also.

Rufes1
20-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Its an 89' Civic.

Well like I said the gear box was really tight and i wasnt forcing it into gear it slid in and went bang.

ALL the gear box oil came out I am guessing. As it was so late I couldnt get under and have a look at anything.

It still shuffles through the gears fine but wont lock in or anything.

I can pick up a second hand gear box for about $500 so I would rather do that then a full strip down.

Rufes1
21-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Someone also mentioned I may have "crumbled" the flywheel. DO you think this is likely?

Thanks again

wynode
21-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Define "Crumbled"?

I highly doubt it as the clutch is the only thing that touhes the fly wheel (unless your clutch was that worn out.........in which case you could generally just machine it down).

Setanta
21-09-2003, 10:12 AM
You'd better mention how hard you drive it Rufes :P

My guess is that you've destroyed the weights on the clutch - but I'd be checking to make sure the driveshafts havent popped out too.

My guess is that you've done the shifter forks at the least (Rufes likes to smoke it up now and then ;) ).

GL mate - new box might be the way to go - I think the ZC one whill hold the power a bit better though - and should bolt up fine.

Rufes1
21-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Actually for the past couple of months ive been driving it as soft as hell trying to preserve the clutch until I had the money to replace it.

Also when this happened I shifted at about 3.5k and put it in third and it went bang...

All just a bitch.

Setanta
21-09-2003, 03:52 PM
LOL - now if only I could find the thread on automotveforums of you and your civic covered in FWD smoke :P:P:P

Rufes1
22-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Man that was one occasion the day before I was getting new tyres...

and after then my clutch was slipping so bad it was impossible to put that much stress on the tranny n e way

SLAVE
24-09-2003, 07:59 AM
LMFAO!!! I must have missed that thread. Dammit, lol. Find those pics!!