PDA

View Full Version : Genuine vs Aftermarket

Usual Suspect
23-03-2006, 01:09 AM
I did a search but couldnt turn up much, well certainly not a thread with the same name, just got a lot of threads with either genuine or aftermakret in them, which is a hell of a lot.

Anyway my topic of debate is:

Genuine vs Aftermarket?

Mainly referring to stuff like oil, fuel and air filters and also oil and stuff like that.

Now what got me thinking is that my girlfriend is getting her Vitara serviced, its a 92 5 door, and her mum wants the mechanic to use genuine suzuki parts which are more expensive that honda genuine parts, talking almost 150 just for basic parts. Now she doesnt know much about cars but is under the impression that genuine last longer.

Now im not particualry asking whether u think genuine will long laster, coz in most cases they probably do. But more so im asking whether you think its worth using genuine parts rather than aftermarket parts.

I know there are varying degrees of quality when it comes to aftermarket parts, but in my experience i have found that there is not any noticeable difference between a lot of aftermarket items compared to the genuine items, IF and this is a big IF, IF they are changed regulary.

In my case for my old car it aint worth it to spend lots of money on decent service parts, like K&N and the likes, so i just go and buy Valvoline oil, air and fuel filters and Castrol 10-50 GTX2 oil which i change every 10,000km's with out fail. And in my case there is no difference, the car is touching 250,000k's and ive done 60,000 of em and the car works like a charm.

So just wondering on what people think about this hole topic, long read i know, sorry bout that.

MR_PEA
23-03-2006, 01:33 AM
if it was my car ide just get ryco parts,, almost as good at genuine parts, and its really not a racing car now is it? prolly cheaper too...

just keep to the regular service intervalls and you will be fine... if anything service the car at 9 or 8 kms.... rather then 10k

EK9
23-03-2006, 01:56 AM
this is just one of those topics... it's hard to say one or the other, like u said alot of factors contribute to it.

anyway, if assuming regular servicing, etc... i can't say neither, especially for a stock standard car. in your situation, oem is expensive, but is more likely to be guaranteed to be reliable as it was designed and specified for that car. However the range of aftermarket products are there simply as another choice for consumers. An equivalent product in quality would most likely be cheaper... and i cant c any downside in choosing aftermarket, especially when most of these companies are well known and have a worldwide reputation like Shell, Castrol, Valvoline, etc...

it all comes down to supply and demand :p lol

blk vti
23-03-2006, 09:26 AM
never & i repeat never use valvoline! it's possibly the worst oil on the market

Slow96GSR
23-03-2006, 12:12 PM
never & i repeat never use valvoline! it's possibly the worst oil on the market

Hmm, been using it in all my cars for as long as I can remember and never had a problem. Used at all the shops I've worked at. Used Pennzoil too. Redline only for the racecars. So your statement is wrong. All oil is the same, it all comes from the ground. It's the additives that make it different. As for synthetics that’s where the mixture can make or break it. As I said never had a problem with Valvoline.

Zdster
23-03-2006, 12:33 PM
I guess for piece of mind spend the bit extra and just go with genuine stuff. That way if anything is ever done wrong at least you have someone to point the finger at.

yourfather
23-03-2006, 01:21 PM
If the car is under warranty, just go OEM, if it's not, or you wanna save cash, go for non-oem like ryco etc.

I personally like staying OEM cuz that's what was designed specifically for my make of car.

But, if I was going to go aftermarket, I'd at least attempt to get something that is of higher quality.

aaronng
23-03-2006, 01:26 PM
All oil is the same, it all comes from the ground. It's the additives that make it different. As for synthetics that’s where the mixture can make or break it. As I said never had a problem with Valvoline.
Actually, oil comes out of the ground in a black thick liquid. You have to distil it to get the fractions that you want. The more precise the distillation, the more expensive and the better. But newer fake "synthetics" take that distillate, and break it down to the size that they want. So while the source of the oil is the same, it needs to have some work done on it before any additives are added to it.

As long as you change your oil regularly and in short intervals like 6 months, I have no doubt that Valvoline will serve you well. :thumbsup:

blk vti
23-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Hmm, been using it in all my cars for as long as I can remember and never had a problem. Used at all the shops I've worked at. Used Pennzoil too. Redline only for the racecars. So your statement is wrong. All oil is the same, it all comes from the ground. It's the additives that make it different. As for synthetics that’s where the mixture can make or break it. As I said never had a problem with Valvoline.
well that would all depend on how fussy your workshop is. i know for a fact how valvoline is produced & for that reason would never use it, no i'm not gonna explain on here. infact there is not one mechanic i know who uses the crap.the oils that i would use & recommend are:

penrite
shell
motul
amgloil (spelling) there standard oil is as good as most synthetic oils, how i know? a local mechanic did a test with three top name brands each test was carried over 20,000 kilometers with the same car, then engine was stripped down to evaluate oil gunking etc. the least known brand come out on top & that is why he now uses amgliol in all cars he services.

the most overated oil would have to be mobile 1

shell would have to be the best of the name brands on the market

penrite australian owned & manufactured & well priced

motul as good as anything on the market but has a premium price wise.

now i would just like to add:

no new car manufacturer in australia can stipulate that you must use genuine products such as oil, filter's etc as long as the given aftermarket product meets the original vechile manufactures spec's you will have no problem, if a dealer says you can only use genuine product in this case honda, get them to put it in writing & send a copy of to the aftermarket part manufacturer's place of business. i think you would be suprised by the results :) yes i had the same thing happen to me, as a result i've seen the light.

does anybody know who's produces honda oil etc?

MR_PEA
23-03-2006, 01:57 PM
blk vti, i think you are missing the point, this isnt a whats a better oil thread!!!
i think your perception for oil is a bit skrewed,,,,
motul is the best one you can buy hands down
second to that is mobil
third to that is penrite
then you got castrol, shell, valvoline
prolly in that order....

also i cant say anyhting about amgloil, never heard of it,
however i wouldent trust a local mechanics point of view, ide rather see some clear facts from proper test benches rather then a local mechanics say so....

Ahhhh crap i just contradicted my self......

aaronng
23-03-2006, 02:06 PM
I don't like tests done on the same car. The effects of the previous oils also play a part in the next oil tha is tested.

Honda Australia's oil is made by Castrol. And you can use any other brand as long as the viscosity is in the correct range. Someone already got a written statement from Honda Australia about this. Only if the oil composition was the factor in your engine failure will you not be covered by warranty.

blk vti
23-03-2006, 02:20 PM
no missed point at all, i just dont like to see people get feed BS. if it means saving people a dollar then i'll share my thoughts & experiences.

no i have not seen amgliol in shops either. but it's bloody good.

correct spelling & link
http://www.anglomoil.com/AboutAnglomoil.asp

Slow96GSR
23-03-2006, 02:52 PM
I'd show you the movie on oils done by the History Channel where they show and explained it all very well but getting it off VHS on to this computer isn't easy, for me that is. I have a friend down there I'll send it too after I put it into DVD format. You would be surprised how oil and gas is distributed. It all ends up in a big tank, after it is separated to its different viscosities and octane’s, and then the truck drives up and as he fills up the additives are put in. So you could be getting oil or gas from any other maker when you buy it in bulk. Buying gas is a little different. It comes to the station in bulk so for the end user you have to make sure you go to a station with good filtration. Oil in the quart or gallon or however you buy it down there is made buy the manufacture and will use the oil sent to them. In bulk we have actually seen oil come to our shop from 5 other companies but with Valvolines additives. So saying Valvoline sucks is your opinion and yours alone. I’ve run it in my car forever and even raced on it. If you want to use the brand you like please do, more Valvoline for me.