PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky brakes

spetz
23-03-2006, 01:58 PM
How do you get rid of squeaky brakes?
I think my rotors may be warped as the squeaks come and go (they are there at parking speeds but it's not a constant squeak, more like "squeak squeak squeak"

Any way to get rid of it? It's annoying

aaronng
23-03-2006, 02:02 PM
If you have clear and safe road, go 60 or 80 and then apply the brakes firmly (watch for cars behind you) all the way down til you are at 10km/h. Then release the brakes and drive off normally to let them cool down. Then try braking as your usual at parking speeds to hear for squeaks.

spetz
23-03-2006, 02:10 PM
They don't really squeak when I apply brakes
They just squeak when the car is rolling?

scottyj10
23-03-2006, 02:19 PM
hey mate,
yeah i had the same problem i lossened the calipers and shook them a little heaps of dirt came out and it fixed the problem.they still sqeak some times but not very often.hope that helps.

fly_vti
23-03-2006, 02:19 PM
maybe you need your rotors to be machined. this made my brakes noisy when i was just about to stop all the time..

aaronng
23-03-2006, 02:51 PM
They don't really squeak when I apply brakes
They just squeak when the car is rolling?
Sounds like you have a stone stuck in between the pads and rotor. Do you get a vibration during braking? If there is no vibration, then it is the stone/grit. If it vibrates, then your rotors are warped (not that easy to warp rotors with street use though).

spardikis
23-03-2006, 03:59 PM
have you looked to see if the steel tab off the pad is squeeking on the rotor?? it could be jussst touching. Also check that you have the shim/thin metal plate behind the pads, and the two thin metal 'u' shaped aligners are still locating the breaks in the correct place.

another thing to consider is that your pads are shit quality and need changing.

an easy way to get rid of stones in the pads is to reverse quickly and lock the breaks on. it helps clear them sometimes.

EuroDude
23-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Ive had small stones wedged in the brake caliper many times, u just need to locate and remove it. Jack the wheel up and turn it and listen to where the sound is coming from.

Otherwise you may just need to apply antisqueel between the caliper and brake pad (and between the brake pad's metal plate if it has one)

j-specAccord
23-03-2006, 07:39 PM
warped rotors.. i have same problem

spetz
23-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Yeah if I use the brakes hard at high speed they shake the car a bit and they don't really wanna stop...

I thought there would be an easier fix but soon it'll come out and I want the DBA4000 rotors so I think I may just live with it for now

Slow96GSR
23-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Go get a brake job done before you kill yourself or someone else.

spetz
23-03-2006, 11:50 PM
They still stop the car...

I was thinking my wheel bearings might be gone though?

After the wheel bearings were changed and rotors machined the problem went down heaps but still there. I think the bearings were used