PDA

View Full Version : HOW to bypass MAP sensor so it doesnt see boost??

bkn_computers
23-03-2006, 05:48 PM
hey guys

theres afew ways, but anyone know of a good way? i need to bypass the factory map sensor so it doesnt see boost, considering it was NA.

afew are, one way valves, FPR's have been adapted and apparently work well, changing voltage output i think, etc.

any other ways? just so the ECU doesnt see any, or if not, too much boost.

cheers.

saxman
23-03-2006, 06:53 PM
the proper way would be to use an ecu that allows tuning with the ecu seeing boost. You don't want the ecu not to see boost, you want it to know what to do with it.

If you insist on doing it, look at something like a missing link on ebay

ECU-MAN
23-03-2006, 06:54 PM
do it properly and have a pro modify yoru ecu to suit boost,

search the net and you can find all you need to do it your self if your brave enough

saxman
23-03-2006, 07:15 PM
do it properly and have a pro modify yoru ecu to suit boost,

search the net and you can find all you need to do it your self if your brave enough
it's really not that difficult to do yourself if you're at all competent with a soldering iron. Really, the hardest part of all of it is just desoldering all the holes needed.

bkn_computers
23-03-2006, 08:02 PM
urrrm...soo.....how? lol

just want a quick fix.

Weq
23-03-2006, 08:07 PM
what fual management are u currently using??

a mechnical fix is using a check valve or 'missing link'.

bkn_computers
23-03-2006, 08:32 PM
just FPR and pump for now, and safc. just want it at least driveable. where can i get a check valve or missing link? will it work for now?

JasonGilholme
23-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Couldn't you just put it on the intake side of the turbo?? That way the air wouldn't be compressed by there would be alot more air flow then normal.

Does the MAP sensor just measure Pressure?? or does it do air flow as well??

If it only does pressure you should be able to put it on the inlet side of the turbo which will give you an uncompressed reading.

ProECU
23-03-2006, 08:44 PM
It's a Mass Air Pressure sensor, it measures pressure in the manifold.
Its not an air flow meter, you cant relocate it before the turbo.

BKN, you need to stop being tight, and do the job properly.

saxman
23-03-2006, 08:51 PM
just FPR and pump for now, and safc. just want it at least driveable. where can i get a check valve or missing link? will it work for now?
if you sell the fpr, pump, and safc, you could easily afford some injectors and chip the ecu with uber/crome. Even on just a basemap, it would be FAR superior to what you're trying to do now in every possible way.

If you have any questions about doing that, let me know, I'd be happy to help. Hell, I'll even make you a basemap.

If you have any more questions on using check valves/making the fpr work/making the safc work, you're on your own. I refuse to assist in someone doing the absolute worst thing you can do to a turbo honda.

Engine management is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of a turbo set up. Cut corners elsewhere, but not there.

bkn_computers
23-03-2006, 09:16 PM
i have my reasons. i know its not correct but i need to know how to bypass it. check valves havent done the job so far not sure how the missing links work.

saxman
23-03-2006, 09:30 PM
you sure you have the check valves installed correctly? there's no reason they shouldn't work if used "properly"

bkn_computers
23-03-2006, 09:41 PM
installed in between throttle body and map sensor? check valves? you mean valve or valves? i only need one dont i? just to restrict the vacuum flow to the MAP correct?

saxman
23-03-2006, 09:59 PM
I've always seen it done like this

http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yelevich/turbo/t3.jpg

multiple valves are used to ensure boost is really being bled off... also make sure they can blow the air out of the line, not suck it back in. wouldn't want the valves installed backwards

bkn_computers
23-03-2006, 10:25 PM
yep i had that exact setup too. didnt work too well.

saxman
23-03-2006, 10:40 PM
were you using multiple valves?

what do you mean by it wasn't working too well?

bkn_computers
24-03-2006, 07:21 AM
very unstable idling, up and down, up and down. i had 3 valves like the pic. also tried one. several ways, didnt work.

saxman
24-03-2006, 08:40 AM
sound like you had a vacuum leak somewhere. did you try blowing through the valves yoursef to make sure they were all working properly?

AusS2000
24-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Whereas it's best to use a proper ECU your next best alternative would be to use an electronic boost signal hider with a rising rate regulator. This device takes the signal from the MAP and passes it to the ECU but limits it to a max value. It 'caps' the signal.

Comptech make the ESM
http://www.comptechusa.com/store/media/instructions/ESM-NEW2005.pdf

Vortech use the Split Second VC1
http://www.splitsec.com/products/vc1/vc1ds.htm

I'm sure there are other local and cheaper alternatives but I'm not aware of them.

Weq
24-03-2006, 02:30 PM
a trip to jaycar and im sure someone will u will be able to make a circut which limits voltage to 2.95v.

saxman
24-03-2006, 02:33 PM
does the exact same thing as this, only electronically versus mechanically

Spending more money to do the same crappy job is pointless... spend the money on a real engine management. Don't go throwing more money at a horrible solution.