PDA

View Full Version : How to make civic oversteer

rtsnoz
23-03-2006, 09:06 PM
G'day,

For anyone interested, just the otherday, i had my standard civic oversteering....

how to do it:
1. Let your dad pump up your tyres with his dodgy tire pressure gauge
2. When his done, check that the tyre pressures all round are about 42-43psi
3. Go driving, and take a few corners quickly....

Although of course, i wouldn't recommend this to anyone as it is not only dangerous to be oversteering, but also tyres could burst etc possibly?

gelo
23-03-2006, 09:11 PM
i run my tyres on 40psi minimum daily
no oversteering

y dont u just pull the handbrake

Chi
23-03-2006, 09:11 PM
lots of monkey bars in the rear.

saxman
23-03-2006, 09:20 PM
a nice larger sway bar in the rear will do it
adjustable shocks with a harder setting in the rear will do it
getting on the brakes while going around a corner at the limit will do it

shmivic
23-03-2006, 09:21 PM
let off gas during high speed corner!!! :thumbsup:

bennjamin
23-03-2006, 09:22 PM
a FWD isnt made for oversteer full stop. Its "lift off oversteer"....

moved to the noob forum.

EK9_boi
23-03-2006, 09:42 PM
lots of monkey bars in the rear.

hehe, lift off oversteer for the uncommitted, but easier late apexing for the brave! oops that's not what we're talking about :o

higher tire pressure in rear or adjust brake bias to the rear would ensure a bit of butt-sliding (I don't believe in FF drift, but that's another discussion altogether...)

Hoe this helps. ;)

cheers

panda[cRx]
23-03-2006, 09:58 PM
*note to self: don't flame, after all it is a noob section*

my cat's breath smells like cat food :)

aimre
23-03-2006, 10:13 PM
how about tapping the brakes during a hi speed corner... that gets it wild lol

EK9_boi
23-03-2006, 10:52 PM
how about tapping the brakes during a hi speed corner... that gets it wild lol

Like said, lift off oversteer. ;)

Cornering is all about weight transfer. Breaking mid-corner shifts the weight of the car towards the front. This forward weight transfer combined with the centripetal (outward) force of cornering, if great enough, induces the loss of rear tire traction (owning to rear lifting off).

This results in the the outward motion of the rear in the resultant direction of the angle between the 2 forces (forward and outwards) - ie. oversteer, simple physics.

The degree of oversteer is proportional to the force of braking and the centripetal cornering force at the point when this weight transfer to the front occurs. Other factors that obviously affect the oversteer angle is the coefficient of friction of a given tire compound, and the same for the road, tire temperature/pressure and any other forces applied at the point of oversteer - eg. countersteer, thus induction of understeer simulaneously would in the case of the civic produce a "drift-effect". ;)

go and recite this on your next touge run! :p Just don't stack!!! :eek:

cheers

Q_ball
23-03-2006, 10:56 PM
']*note to self: don't flame, after all it is a noob section*

my cat's breath smells like cat food :)
ROFL!! LOL

socheerio
24-03-2006, 02:04 PM
a FWD isnt made for oversteer full stop. Its "lift off oversteer"....

moved to the noob forum.
Some FWD's do have passive rear-wheel steering where rear suspension bushes deform turning the rears into a corner. Peugeot for example. Means you can get mild oversteer under power. Some FWD are also set up to drift the rears near the limit so you get oversteer of sorts :) .

yourfather
24-03-2006, 02:09 PM
This results in the the outward motion of the rear in the resultant direction of the angle between the 2 forces (forward and outwards) - ie. oversteer, simple physics.

The degree of oversteer is proportional to the force of braking and the centripetal cornering force at the point when this weight transfer to the front occurs.

cheers

Not meaning to bring up semantics, but seeing as he's turning away from the centre axis, i.e. going right instead of straight on, wouldn't the effect be centrifugal and not centripetal.

Because in his FF car, there isn't really such thing as oversteer, it's just the lack of grip on the rear. You can't really over-steer if you're using the front tyres to pull the car.

Now, you could be right, if you were say, referring to the back end coming back into the centre axis alignment after the apex. Now I'm not a physicist. But what I think is a bit different is, when he's turning right, because he is moving off the straight axis, the force will be exerted to make him continue on that line, which means he will feel pulled to the left. Now, if he is 'drifting' whether it is front or rear wheel drive (dont argue about FF drifting please, it's just for arguments sake) The rear end is supposed to slide out from the axis, which is not [by definition], moving to the centre. If it was to slide IN to the axis, it would be centripetal. And the reason why I say it, is because, as you change the cars direction, ultimately you are changing the directional axis of its turning, and therefore, while the force does pull you towards the original point of origin axis, you're resetting it every time you make even a minor steering adjustment. Therefore, the causality of turning a corner and having it slide towards the original intended direction is not actually following the current axis. Maybe it could be defined if you were looking at it from that perspective as centripetal. But if you were to assess that once you actually make the turn, the forces exerted on the occupants or the car in changing the axis are a product of it being changed in the first place.

Does that make sense?

EK9_boi
24-03-2006, 03:08 PM
dude you're right I had meant centrifugal - all other aspects of what was written points to that - I had mentioned the direction of the force is outward - thus "pulling" your car back to the original line of travel prior to a change in direction. :p

Oversteer is a state of motion and does not refer to the cause of this state of motion. Despite the propensity for FR's to oversteer (because of it's drivetrain configuration), suspension, tires, and weight distribution are factors that have every relevance to the dynamic nature of a given car. Therefore it's not unusual for a FF car to exhibit tendencies for oversteering, eg. the new Suzuki Swift... one of my friends owns one and its' rear stability could be questioned. This friend also drives a Mx-5 (FR) so he knows what oversteer is.

No argument re: FF drift here, but as you do know drift is not just getting the rear out - that's call "mooning"!!! :p

cheers

yourfather
24-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Cool yeah, apart from that one little word, I agree 100% then :D

EuroDude
24-03-2006, 03:59 PM
i run my tyres on 40psi minimum daily
no oversteering

y dont u just pull the handbrake

Mine are always 43psi - no oversteer :o