PDA

View Full Version : What do i need to turbo my ek Vtir!!

SIRB16
24-03-2006, 11:46 AM
What do i need to turbo my ek, other than the obvious. Can i get a piggy back Comp.

Zdster
24-03-2006, 11:49 AM
What do i need to turbo my ek, other than the obvious. Can i get a piggy back Comp.

Can you expand on what information you are actually after. You will need (at a minimum):

Turbo
Intercooler
E-management or piggyback computer
Extractors/headers
Etc . . .

SIRB16
24-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Well i have a stock Ek Vtir.

I want to turbo charge it, and i want to get an estimate of how much i need to spend?

And good places to buy parts.. And is it worth turbo charging it, or should i keep it NA

destrukshn
24-03-2006, 11:59 AM
definately worth turbochargin.
this topic has been covered many times before. IF YOU do a SEARCH, you will FIND MANY results.
not havin a go at you, but i reckon mods will either move this too the n00b section or most probably close it.

incoming
24-03-2006, 12:00 PM
maybe u should do some research on the forced induction thread first..

bang for ur buck.. i'd say turbo.. but then u MIGHT have problems with reliability down the track

Zdster
24-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Well, it wont be cheap. It would cost at a minimum $2000 I would have thought - once you buy all parts. Then you would need to install them and have it tuned.

The real question is what do you want to achieve with the car? Is it daily driven? Are you building it for track or sprints? What sort of power output are you looking for?

There are plenty of NA mods that you can do to a b16, it is really a question of what you want to achieve with it.

DomenEK
24-03-2006, 12:18 PM
I've been doing a little research on this subject as well, I want to turbo my car eventually.

You're looking at about $10k if you want a decent setup that won't melt your engine.

You'll need:
- suitable turbo
- suitable intercooler
- ecu (not sure a piggy back chip will be up to the task)
- decompression head gasket
- better radiator
- tougher clutch
- brake upgrade
- new exhaust/dump pipe, custom turbo manifold
- maybe forged pistons, valves, springs, etc.....

Don't cut corners, it'll cost you more in the long run, as I said you don't want to melt the engine.

yourfather
24-03-2006, 12:39 PM
As said before.

This is what I'm looking for my setup, which is pretty much what you will need too.

If you're looking for low boost.

Turbocharger Trust TD-05
Wastegate, Depending on if turbo is internally wastegated or not. (havent decided yet)
Injectors- RC 550
Manifold Probably HKS Style for me, or GReddy~ Either cast iron 'log style' or equal length or ramhorn style.
Intercooler + Piping - Trust intercooler
Blow off valve GReddy Type I I think.
Standalone ECU e.g. Hondata, Pro-ECU, A'PEXi Power FC - I'm thinking of going with either of those.
Clutch - Exedy Heavy Duty I think . not too certain yet
Exhaust system 2.5" from wastegate / manifold back - X-Force muffler and just custom 2.5" mandrel bent. CBF with name brands.
Boost gauge - prolly Autometer or A'PEXi
Good tyres - when I need to replace them.

bennjamin
24-03-2006, 12:45 PM
all these type threads belong in the NOOB section guys. Come on ~ REPORT IT !

btw this has been covered...read up in the forced induction section !

LVNIT
24-03-2006, 12:47 PM
I've been doing a little research on this subject as well, I want to turbo my car eventually.

You're looking at about $10k if you want a decent setup that won't melt your engine.

You'll need:
- suitable turbo
- suitable intercooler
- ecu (not sure a piggy back chip will be up to the task)
- decompression head gasket
- better radiator
- tougher clutch
- brake upgrade
- new exhaust/dump pipe, custom turbo manifold
- maybe forged pistons, valves, springs, etc.....

Don't cut corners, it'll cost you more in the long run, as I said you don't want to melt the engine.

No need for decompression head gasket, radiator should be fine for the stock setup, no need for forged pistons if you are just after a simple bolt on turbo kit. Piggy back ship will do everything you need, but there are better options out there.

You can also source manifolds locally or from the US for excellent prices, expect to pay $1000~ for a custom manifold.

$10k is way overkill, my setup was done on much less then that price. Learn everything you need to and save some money, otherwise if you dont want to learn, expect to pay a lot more then what you could have paid.

SIRB16
24-03-2006, 12:59 PM
True True.. Thanks heaps..

I drive it daily, and i want a reasonable increase in power..

What NA mods are good.... Would a Garret T28 do the job or should i go better..

I will check out a few threads..

SIRB16
24-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Alright Thanks heaps guys.. you have pretty much covered it.. i will do alot of research.

I already have Exeddy heavy duty clutch, Tein HA racing Springs, and NGK iridium spark plugz.

Take it easy..

LVNIT
24-03-2006, 01:26 PM
T28 will work fine if you are after a reasonable increase in power. At a guess your going to have to change spark plugs to some with a lower heat range aswell.

www.honda-tech.com
www.turbod16.com

They are just a few sites with a wealth of information that you can look through.

kris_
24-03-2006, 02:57 PM
mate i've gone trhough the same thing as you.

I contemplated whether to buy a turbo kit, and eventually I did.
I love it, and it hasnt cost me anywhere close to 10k, even with a fair bit of issues that needed to be ironed out.

Im running a simple set up, 450cc injectors, T3, Log Manifold, Microtech LT8s ECU, FMIC and an exhaust and the motor isnt being stressed at all.
B16's are strong and will handle a fair bit of punishment, just dont up the boost too much with standard internals and maintain them reguarly.
The stock radiator should be sufficient enough for a lowish boost application, however i would throw an oil cooler on there just to be on the safe side. I will also be doing this properly.

Try and find a manifold which will allow you to retain your A/C also.
Also your brakes should be alrite, just go for some better pads and maybe slotted discs.

When you do the conversion, RESEARCH RESEARCH and RESEARCH some more. As this will save you lots of money in the long run, I didnt do enough and ended up choosing the wrong ECU option which cost me, however now this has been fixed.

Best of luck to ya.
Hope to see another boosted Vtec on the street. You'll love it.

XQISIT
26-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Theres Turbo kits for heaps of hondas on EBAY.

For a decent setup ill be looking at replacing the rods and pistons to a stronger material.

Using Coil pack instead of Direct spark.

Your best bang for buck would to be buy one already done.

kerim
27-03-2006, 11:29 AM
guys i dont know if this is true or not, but i heard that when u use an aftermarket computer or something when turboing a vtec, u loose vtec, and that you can stick with the stock computer.
i dont know much about turbos and vtec combined but yeah

yourfather
27-03-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't know who told you that, but all of the standalone ECU's that I am aware of, keep the vtec functionality.

This list includes :
Hondata
Pro-ECU
A'PEXi
Motec
Microtech