PDA

View Full Version : Whats a loud muffler/exhust system?

geo41e
20-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Yo yo, l'm thinkin of getting the Apexi N1 muffler, heard its pretty loud. Anything else loud or sounds real smooth, but "sporty" ??

Anybody heard of X Force ?? any good ? the titanium one??

cheeeeeeeerrrsss

joneblaze
21-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Mate it's good to see your enthusiasm in the Civic forum, but answers to some of the questions you're asking can be found by simply using the Search function at the top of the page.
The N1 is a straight through designed muffler, meaning there is less baffle to muffle sound, making it louder and more high pitched than other chambered mufflers (ie. OEM, Tanabe, etc). There is no concrete definition of a "sporty" exhaust note, it's really each to their own. You're best off finding similar setups with diferrent mufflers and deciding on a note you like best. If you are not interested only in the sound, and want to increase the performance and flow of your system, please do yourself a favour - and do more research.

If you check out www.team-integra.net , that would be a good place to start. They have many articles of various technical levels to assist you in making a choice.
If not, just buy a replica N1 for $100 and throw it on.

Jon

VTEChnique
21-04-2004, 02:21 PM
IMO the Apexi N1 is very rattly + raspy but in terms of power output from lack of back-pressure , you cant go past one of the N1-Style mufflers.

but i'd have to agree that you might as well get a $100 muffler rather than pay $600+ for the Apexi item.

http://www.xforce.com.au/img/Titanium/MGX03-tp-8cm.gif

Those Titanium X-force mufflers look nice..

fueltank
21-04-2004, 02:32 PM
A "barrel" style muffler will be louder then a "oval" style muffler.
The number of resonators will also play a part in how loud your car is.

Jus-10
21-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Straight pipe.....

Or BuddyClub Spec 3

Looneee
21-04-2004, 03:01 PM
I have an INCAR racing muffler. And if anyone has heard the WEEZER in VTEC its very very loud. Also the header makes a difference to the exhaust note.

weezer
21-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Probably the one of the loudest exhaust i've heard is the Buddy Club Spec 2.

the "muffler" is pretty much a straight pipe ;)

Syphon
21-04-2004, 06:03 PM
I got a buddyclub spec 3 n that thing is loud!

TOYOL
21-04-2004, 06:57 PM
I got a buddyclub spec 3 n that thing is loud!

agreed........

EK9R
21-04-2004, 07:51 PM
I have a bc2 on my EK for track
It gets so loud it's annoying
for daily driving you should have something more quiet like an RM01A

Syphon
21-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Yeh have to have silencer on all the time. So I dont get to use its potential. Looking at getting kakimoto

geo41e
21-04-2004, 10:40 PM
anybody heard the sound of an Xforce muffler...in particlular..that titanium one up there ?

LatinoHatchCrap
21-04-2004, 11:53 PM
It sounds ok at first but once the glass packs burn out its a bit raspy and sounds like ass in VTEC. Power wise you can expect the same gains from any other N1 style catback.

Mitch M
22-04-2004, 08:56 PM
just remove the exhaust system from the cat-back :P

that will be loud :D

Toby
22-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Just adding a Cannon to the stock system wont make it that much louder, get a whole system

JO3
22-04-2004, 11:44 PM
i've been thinking of putting a n1 muffler in my ek4 but dont want to have trouble with the cops or anything like that..
so my question is...
will an n1 muffler on a civic pass the legal sound level if i were to get stopped or anything like that?..
thanks..

joneblaze
23-04-2004, 12:28 AM
An N1 with a catback piping/full exhaust? Most probably not... Apparently most aftermarket "performance" setups easily exceed the 90db legal NSW limit....(IF you are in NSW that is... lol).

Jus-10
23-04-2004, 10:09 AM
If you want to get really technical, I beleive they can defect you for fitting the exhaust even if it is under the 90dB limit. The noise component is only one factor.

Whilst it is generally the noise that will get you in to trouble 99% of the time, tecnically speaking, any replacement performance exhausts need to be engineered to ensure they meet omissions/ADRs, etc.

I questioned the RTA when getting an exhaust for my car because I wanted to make sure my car was 100% legit so the cops wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they chose to pull me up. That is where I got the information from.

So bugger 'em. I can't be bothered getting a zorst engineered so I went and got a BC3.

JO3
23-04-2004, 01:39 PM
i'm in nsw yes..
and i was just thinking of the catcbak n1 muffler...
not a full system...
just the rear part..

Mitch M
23-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Seriously, it is VERY hard to be pulled over and defected unless your constantly doing happies of north parra etc.

My exhaust is somewhere aroun 98DBs on back off, maybe a little bit more

i haven't been defected yet!

only pulled over once and that was because i was being a smart ass [hell i even dropped it back to second at about 65km/h to make it REAL loud while i was right behind a cop, he pulled me over and told me everything that was defectable on my car however he didn't defect]

at the end of the day its only HIGHWAY PATROL that can defect you ... and their not everywhere ...

geo41e
24-04-2004, 04:35 PM
man..if u guyz are in syd...jus becarful of the bas*ards at the rocks. The detectives or some crap. they jus wear jeans and black shirts and roll around in an ss, unmarked in a burgundy colour.

they defected and pulled almosy every single car that they came by. Such pigs.

one of those detectives is a pure unit. His freakin huge man with big ass arms...l wus pissin myself when he got pissed at a 200sx chirpin in seconds.

joneblaze
24-04-2004, 05:50 PM
man..if u guyz are in syd...jus becarful of the bas*ards at the rocks. The detectives or some crap. they jus wear jeans and black shirts and roll around in an ss, unmarked in a burgundy colour.

they defected and pulled almosy every single car that they came by. Such pigs.

one of those detectives is a pure unit. His freakin huge man with big ass arms...l wus pissin myself when he got pissed at a 200sx chirpin in seconds.

:roll: ....yeah... damn those "pigs" doing their job. Gee I wish I was an idiot who did laps of the rocks too... harassing families and tourists with my 235db exhaust bro... but then "stupid piggerz hav 2 pull uz ova n spoil our fun.... we wuznt even dooin anyfing rong bru..."
[/sarcasm]

And you wonder why the general public disapprove of car enthusiasts. ****ing idiot.