PDA

View Full Version : putting zc pistons in my d16

Nuttz
21-04-2004, 12:17 AM
hi all

Note: im kinda new to NA tuning so forgive me for my ignorance.

I ve heard that u can run zc(d16a8?) pistons in a d16y1 and get a comp ratio of about 12:1

im just wondering what would be involved / required and cost to get it to run.

from what ive learned, the pistons fit straight in, I know that you would need to increase fueling as well. But is that all?? from a comp ratio of about 9:1 to 12:1 would be a pretty good gain i think.

bennjamin
21-04-2004, 12:49 AM
ZC compression is about 9:1 too - and being in a same capacity engine ( just because it is DOHC dosent make it any bigger in the block than a SOHC) im pretty sure the bore and storke would be similar if not identical. *waits for Setanta or someone to correct ;)*
So - my point is that it would be useless.

There are other cheaper simpler ways to increase compression - such as a thinner headgasket , or even leaving carbon deposits on ur pistons ;) -

BTW do you actually know what increasing compression will do for such a engine ? . . . Ben

crx2gen
21-04-2004, 01:00 AM
The bore and stroke of a D16A8 is 75 x 90, and compression is 9.5:1. What the specs on the D16Y1 are, you tell me. However, running 12:1 compression (attainable or not through your methods aside) with the relatively fragile D16A8 internals doesn't sound like the best idea ever. And I'd also put my hat on detonation.

crx_16x
21-04-2004, 01:43 AM
There is more to calculating c/r's than just the bore/stroke measurements.
It has a lot to do with the design of the head as well.
Find out the exact dimensions of the d16a8 pistons and also the d16y1 pistons and do a search for a c/r calculator on a site like www.hondaswap.com although this is only a rough guide as well.

second on crx2gen's comments on detonation.

Nuttz
21-04-2004, 11:40 PM
ok the pistons should be the p29 ( which is out of a zc(civic 1.6 dohc) or d16a1(integra 88-89) motor) and apparently all that is needed is to keep old rods and get put pistons on. I know that there is a higher chance of pinging but that where more fueling comes into it.

also .1 in compresion = ~7kw