PDA

View Full Version : D16y1/z6 (SOHC Vtec) Vs B16a (DOHC Vtec) - Pros & Cons

Sexc86
26-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Hey guys are doing a bit of research i have not been able to find a thred like this around.

I think it would be good to discuss the pros and cons about these two motors as the b16a alwayes seems to have the stereo type for the motor to do an engine conversion with, and not many people seem to think about doing a swap with a d16y1 - which could be half the price and almost give close to the same performance and have similar potential. (correct if wrong please)

Give us some pros and cons to both these platforms and why you would choose 1 over the other.

maybe under catagories such as

Engine Design (Valve Number, sizes, head design, intake size, strength, compression.. etc etc)
Reliability
Support
Cost (both maintaining and running, Sourceing, and aftermarket parts)
Potential
sohc vs dohc (stereotype being that DOHC is better then SOHC because there is 2 and not 1, which may not be the case)
fuel efficiency

Maybe even a topic such as this would be good as a sticky

saxman
26-03-2006, 09:18 AM
stock for stock, the dohc motor does offer better performance...
comparing a d16z6 to a b16a2, you're getting about the same amount of torque, but 35 more hp in the b16. The b16 will have more potential to make more power, etc.
That said, the price difference, at least out here, is huge, making the d16 a good engine to use if you plan on further modding(i.e. for the same cost as a stock b16a, I could swap in a d16z6, build it, and turbo it, and produce triple the power)

Sexc86
26-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Basically the reason a b16a makes that extra upper power is that because it has a larger intake? runners plenum? larger tb? and in stock form breaths better

Also the z6/y1 is a 16valve (correct if wrong) so 4 valves per cylinder (2 exhaust and 2 intake) controller by 1 cam shaft ( which not many manufactures do) is this still the case for the b16a? still 16valve or more?

From some research i have done thats what i thought the only benefit for have dohc was that in most cases you could only have 8 or 12 valves for sohc and 16 for dohc, since both the dohc and sohc have the same amount of valve (correct if wront) i would have thought that there would be no real reason you would specifically get better performance from just the twin cams over 1? unless of course the head deisgn of the b16a is better then the y1 with larger valves? like larger tb and intake mani.. etc etc

saxman
26-03-2006, 10:50 AM
there's way more to it than that...

different compression ratio with the b16, different rod/stroke ratio, etc... it's an entirely different engine. in the case of the DOHC vtec, having two cams allows you to have a different cam profile for on vtec and off vtec for both the intake and exhaust cams. This isn't the only reason it makes more power though.

The amount of valves are the same, but basically everything about the engine is improved is better... manifold are improved, head flows better, different profiles for both cams, higher comp ratio, better r/s ratio, etc

BrianC
26-03-2006, 11:49 AM
^^^ What they said.

But also, don't forget, the sound :thumbsup: B16>D16 when it comes to engine note on vtec, and also at the crossover point imo ;)

Weq
26-03-2006, 01:41 PM
^^^ What they said.

But also, don't forget, the sound :thumbsup: B16>D16 when it comes to engine note on vtec, and also at the crossover point imo ;)

This is due to the fact that the SOHC only has vtec on the intake site, where the DOHC has vtec on the intake and exhaust. The exhaust vtec is what gives it the throghty sound.

B16a's head flow more stock, more aggressive profiles coupled with higher compression will yeild more HP per mod.

On the down side is the torque. b16's lack torque. Usually b16a's make about the same HP as the D until the higher rev's are reached because of this. But then again, we would all be driving v8's if we thought torque was number 1 :)

PS. can we keep this conversation technical/theoretical, rather then ricer and JDM bling talk as BrianC has started.

XQISIT
26-03-2006, 02:01 PM
You can have a SHOC flowing just as good or better then a DOHC with the proper head work.

EG5[KRT]
26-03-2006, 03:41 PM
but price wise its better to get a b16 and there is more aftermarket support for b16

egSi
26-03-2006, 03:48 PM
']but price wise its better to get a b16 and there is more aftermarket support for b16

there is heaps of aftermarket support for the D, just not here.

MoonSha
26-03-2006, 03:57 PM
']but price wise its better to get a b16 and there is more aftermarket support for b16
And how do you justify saying a B16 is better price wise, by costing more in every way?

EG5[KRT]
26-03-2006, 04:00 PM
well to get a d16 faster then a b16 u need to PnP head better cam and tuning

whereas stock b16 will waste a d16

not against dseries coz i have one but if u try racing a B its not ez

Weq
26-03-2006, 04:44 PM
']well to get a d16 faster then a b16 u need to PnP head better cam and tuning

whereas stock b16 will waste a d16

not against dseries coz i have one but if u try racing a B its not ez

zex stage2 cam, $300
pnp head $500 + gasket $50

Instead of spending 3.5k on a swap top run 15's? 3.5k for 35hp is pretty poor value for money. turbod16 for 3.5k (DIY) u will run 13's.

the y1 & y8 has just as much support as b-series in the mild to wild mod catagories. The only thing b's have more support is the extreme and more choice in these catagories.

con for d is it is not JDM.

saxman
26-03-2006, 08:27 PM
not true at all

I've spent half of what a stock b16 would cost me to swap on my d16, and I'd be more than happy to line up against any lightly modded b series motor.

Andrew21
26-03-2006, 09:37 PM
I just finished a D16 swap myself, Pretty straight forward just time consuming.
Its got some decent power (75-80 kw at wheels..) although like always... YOU WANT MORE POWER !! .. I just raced a brand new Type R and got munched as expected but was fun !! Tempting to slap a turbo on it and then will see...

In my oppinion a Turbo D would be more fun than a stock B series boardem ! Not too mention it would be faster...

You can just run low boost and when you have enough $$$, look at upgrading internals and going for bigger boost.

My 2cs.........

cdpfxz
26-03-2006, 09:48 PM
sexc86 - do u wana run turbo later or not? cos maybe thats an option u should look at it. if u dont mind getting turbo, get a d16 and turbo it, if not and u want more power maybe its better to start wit a little more and go b16. a turbo d16 will hammer, but just depends whether u wana take that road.. im now driving a b16 civic in replacement of my gtir i had cos i simply didnt want a turbo car. then figured its better to start wit a more powerful base if i wana go for n/a power. it really depends how much u want out of the car i guess.. but if u want n/a i'd say go b-series due to the mentioned advantages, but if ur happy wit a turbo, whack one on the D!!!

nic :thumbsup:

jimmeh
26-03-2006, 09:54 PM
if your talking a bout swapping B for a D then your not gonna be happy with the result. rather boost you d series then you be much quicker than a type r. and its cheaper to mod a D when compared to B

vtec>turbo
26-03-2006, 11:40 PM
d16's belong in a ditch. they are not that good an engine in truth. sure theyre cheap and theres heaps of xforce gear out there for them, but u just cant go past a b16a for all round performance. the d16 is really a slow paper weight when compared to the b series engine.

id take a stock na eg6 over a turbod eg5 ANYDAY

iv been in a stock old school soarer which ran a 15.9 when it raced a turboed d16 ek sedan and smashed it.

just chucking a turbo on a d16 will NOT neccisarily get u good performance. i think in that case it went backwards in terms of power.

Q_ball
27-03-2006, 12:02 AM
just chucking a turbo on a d16 will NOT neccisarily get u good performance. i think in that case it went backwards in terms of power.
well then whoever ur goin to for the turbo install/tune is doin a shit job...simple as that!
done rite, wacking a turbo onto any D or B block will increase performance considerably, even if its only 3psi.
i think ur seriously under-estimating the D series motor there...like others have said, D series aftermarket parts are found more so overseas like the US, whereas theres more B series stuff ere in oz.
thats y ull find that a lot of worked D motors are in the US, eg saxman hehe

EG5[KRT]
27-03-2006, 12:36 AM
well in my point of view if ur leaving them both NA then the b16 is better option because u need to change the cam and tune it to at least match a b16 in a d16 in that case a b16 is more straight forward and cheaper

but if ur gonna chuck a turbo on of course its cheaper and easier and u get more power.but some people like to stick to all motor like me.. dont get me wrong because i have a d16y1 and its got 81.8 kw atw im happy with that but if i was to get more power its probably cheaper to get a b16 and b18 or k20 rather then try and mod the car to beat them if i was to keep the car NA.

saxman
27-03-2006, 09:33 AM
I'll definetely agree that if you for some odd reason want to stay NA, the d series is not the way to go.

whomever had a turbo d that got beat by a 15.9 sec car either was having horrible problems, or simply was a horrible driver. I ran faster than that before the turbo went on my d series... and then I turned around and added 100hp...

[[d a n n y]]
27-03-2006, 01:18 PM
okay..from what i have researched.
once the B serise is turbod. it makes more power than the D serise on the same stock internals

BrianC
27-03-2006, 02:01 PM
This is due to the fact that the SOHC only has vtec on the intake site, where the DOHC has vtec on the intake and exhaust. The exhaust vtec is what gives it the throghty sound.

B16a's head flow more stock, more aggressive profiles coupled with higher compression will yeild more HP per mod.

On the down side is the torque. b16's lack torque. Usually b16a's make about the same HP as the D until the higher rev's are reached because of this. But then again, we would all be driving v8's if we thought torque was number 1 :)

PS. can we keep this conversation technical/theoretical, rather then ricer and JDM bling talk as BrianC has started.

PS: Who asked you, brother? You didn't start this thread. My post is related to the topic. The person who orginally started this thread was curious as to why most people prefer a dohc, over a sohc vtec motor. Sound is a major factor, whether people like to admit it or not. As long as I think its relevant, Ill post what ever I please :thumbsup:

EG6_SiR
27-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Yea yea yea, sound is an issue... (Comparing turbo) Hondas are meant to stay NA all the way, close to 9000 rpm is so fun :) . And to turbo charge a d series, well in Qld none of these so called weapons have even come close to my stock eg6, so I don’t see why you would want to turbo that engine (d16). There have been some crazy claims up HERE TO, some reckon that they have run mid 13s, well that doesn’t mean shit on track, and that is where a Honda belongs, hehehehhe. I do believe chucking on a turbo may give u shit loads more hp, but is that really a good street tune, can u actually use all that power. So does spending so many $$$$ on a turbo give u a faster car (comparing B16 to D16-turbo)?????

kyle
27-03-2006, 02:58 PM
whomever had a turbo d that got beat by a 15.9 sec car either was having horrible problems, or simply was a horrible driver. I ran faster than that before the turbo went on my d series... and then I turned around and added 100hp...

I agree! I got 15.3 in my I/H/E D16.
Hehehe. Then I added a cam and removed revlimit and blew it up. :D DOH!

Id say mod whatever engine you please. Who cares whether its a bang for your buck or not. As long as you are having fun and are achieving something out of your car then why not. :)

Don't Modify your car to makes others happy and get more "rep". Because then whos car is it really?

-KB

Weq
27-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Yea yea yea, sound is an issue... (Comparing turbo) Hondas are meant to stay NA all the way, close to 9000 rpm is so fun :) . And to turbo charge a d series, well in Qld none of these so called weapons have even come close to my stock eg6, so I don’t see why you would want to turbo that engine (d16). There have been some crazy claims up HERE TO, some reckon that they have run mid 13s, well that doesn’t mean shit on track, and that is where a Honda belongs, hehehehhe. I do believe chucking on a turbo may give u shit loads more hp, but is that really a good street tune, can u actually use all that power. So does spending so many $$$$ on a turbo give u a faster car (comparing B16 to D16-turbo)?????

Man, we arnt comparing a JDM b16a vs D16. EVERYONE knows that a b16a type JDM is a serious track weapon and its an insult to try and parallel it to a d16.

This is what my EG6 did. This is the what honda designed it for! Modified with with only TRUE/track honda parts.
Toda ITB
Spoon Stroker Kit
Spoon Throttle Body (track type)
Spoon chipped ECU. (7200 vtec) (track type)
Toda Header
Spoon pad
Spoon caliper
Spoon Rota

http://members.optusnet.com.au/loxy/car/NA/B16A/dyno.jpg

Beastcivic
27-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Well unless your doing atleast 12s then your all slow,

Here's my JDM b16b with toda D cams (type track).
shifted at 11k
type-r sway bars fitted
track pad, type extreme
s2000 rear muffler

Here's my 1/4mile time slip,
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d30/beastcivic/Picture003.jpg

EG6_SiR
27-03-2006, 05:28 PM
they are both weapons, wish i had the dollars to spend like that... good work boys.

VTi_b0i
27-03-2006, 05:31 PM
fark man thats nuts!
how much could a JDM B16A and a JDM B16B cost?

saxman
27-03-2006, 06:23 PM
there's no comparison between a stock jdm b16a and a turboed d16z6... I don't know why you all think the b16a is god's gift to the automotive world... it barely makes 170bhp, and no torque... it isn't a fast engine...

trying to a parrallel a stock jdm b16a and a turbo d16 isn't fair at all... to the b16

Sexc86
27-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Unreal reply guys loveing all the info im getting, i Am currently doing a y4/y1 mini me high hp turbo setup, and basically just wanted to know for general knowledge the differnece in stock form between the 2 motors, and if and why the twin cams would contribute to performance difference, and just a general comparasion between the two i though it would be a good topic for the future reference for others too

Weq
27-03-2006, 09:37 PM
there's no comparison between a stock jdm b16a and a turboed d16z6... I don't know why you all think the b16a is god's gift to the automotive world... it barely makes 170bhp, and no torque... it isn't a fast engine...

trying to a parrallel a stock jdm b16a and a turbo d16 isn't fair at all... to the b16

are u trying to say your puny d16, which barely rev's past 6k, will have a chance against my JDM tougue monster? Laugh out loud.

EG6_SiR
27-03-2006, 09:39 PM
hahhaaah rofl......

saxman
27-03-2006, 09:52 PM
are u trying to say your puny d16, which barely rev's past 6k, will have a chance against my JDM tougue monster? Laugh out loud.
you're absolutely right, let me bow down to your MaD tyte JDM yo dorifto action. My humble d16 is of no comparison.

Weq
27-03-2006, 09:57 PM
you're absolutely right, let me bow down to your MaD tyte JDM yo dorifto action. My humble d16 is of no comparison.

tyte = american slang
dorifto = western slang

I know none of these type words. let me make this clear, my component is pure.

saxman
27-03-2006, 09:59 PM
"mad tyte jdm yo dorifto" is a wonderful combination of common slang terms used by initial d obsessed, 2nd generation asian americans trying to act "cool"

EG5[KRT]
27-03-2006, 10:00 PM

my d16 revs to 8100 :wave:

but yeah bak on topic :D

VTi_b0i
27-03-2006, 10:05 PM
']my d16 revs to 8100 :wave:

but yeah bak on topic :D

LOL no no no i wana know wat you have done :p and what sorta power ur making :)

EG5[KRT]
27-03-2006, 10:12 PM
hehe its stock mate .. some days for some reason it revs to that b4 fuel cutting .. really weird but yeah normally around 7900 it fuel cuts .. so yeah i can say it revs to 8100 sometimes :D

VTi_b0i
27-03-2006, 10:17 PM
lmfao! wat motor? my d16y1 fuel cuts at around 7500ish...

saxman
27-03-2006, 10:24 PM
stock gauges aren't the most reliable of devices, even more so if you've changed gauges faces, etc...

mine redlines at 7200, and there's no reason to go any higher... when the engine makes torque, it doesn't need to be reved high to make power

EG5[KRT]
27-03-2006, 10:25 PM
yah i got d16y1

VTi_b0i
27-03-2006, 10:26 PM
lol why does ur rev limit at 7900 then? damm

panda[cRx]
27-03-2006, 10:27 PM
"mad tyte jdm yo dorifto" is a wonderful combination of common slang terms used by initial d obsessed, 2nd generation asian americans trying to act "cool"

weq is a whiteboy in australia:wave:

back on topic

b16a > d16z6 :)

obviously if u wack a turbo on either one of em they'll be faster. instead of reading all this 'my dick is bigger than yours' BS i'd take your budget and performance goals into consideration and make a decision from there.

yeah the D is cheaper but if u do the same mods to a B it'll be quicker (and yes cost a few more bucks)

the b16a is almost bettter in all aspects other than price IMO

saxman
27-03-2006, 10:28 PM
lol why does ur rev limit at 7900 then? damm
if it hasn't been modified, my money is on inaccuracies with the gauges... without a datalog of the rpm showing that it's actually reving to 7900, there's really no reason to think otherwise

saxman
27-03-2006, 10:31 PM
']weq is a whiteboy in australia:wave:
weq is also on the same page as I am. What he was saying was as much a mockery of the whole "a stock jdm b16 will destroy a turbo d16" as everything I've said.

it all comes down to a matter of cost. If you have a d16 already, for the cost of a b16 swap, you could very easily make WAY more power by turboing the d16.

When I can double my hp and torque out of the d for half the cost of adding 40ish hp and no torque, there's no question to me.

jimmeh
27-03-2006, 10:34 PM
']weq is a whiteboy in australia:wave:

i dont know where u get your info from but weq is as black as they come

Weq
27-03-2006, 10:36 PM
weq is also on the same page as I am. What he was saying was as much a mockery of the whole "a stock jdm b16 will destroy a turbo d16" as everything I've said.

it all comes down to a matter of cost. If you have a d16 already, for the cost of a b16 swap, you could very easily make WAY more power by turboing the d16.

When I can double my hp and torque out of the d for half the cost of adding 40ish hp and no torque, there's no question to me.

me............. mock???

The 20k i invested into that engine, was worth every penny. Its NA, so it has way more control then any turbo rice rocket.

Weq
27-03-2006, 10:38 PM
i dont know where u get your info from but weq is as black as they come

I am as black as JDM allows.

EG6_SiR
27-03-2006, 10:45 PM
hasnt (sex86) got one of these set ups????? d16y turbo.....so how much power u putting out?

saxman
27-03-2006, 10:51 PM
can't speak for him... but my first one made 210hp/180 ft lbs
http://www.upshizzle.com/x/turbobay.JPG

the new one has yet to be spoken for though
http://www.upshizzle.com/x/manifoldleft.jpg

Weq
27-03-2006, 10:52 PM
hasnt (sex86) got one of these set ups????? d16y turbo.....so how much power u putting out?

Ok, im sorry i messed around but i spose its the only way i know how to get through to some people..

this is what the dyno graph actually looked like:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/loxy/car/turbo/dyno.jpg

The setup was simple.
stock d16y1
440cc injectors
greddy emanage
td04 turbo
log manifold
set me back around 3k on the road.
that dyno was t 8psi. it ran 11psi daily - ~140kw.

Was never beaten by a NA honda. Any.

Weq
27-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Well unless your doing atleast 12s then your all slow,

Here's my JDM b16b with toda D cams (type track).
shifted at 11k
type-r sway bars fitted
track pad, type extreme
s2000 rear muffler

Here's my 1/4mile time slip,
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d30/beastcivic/Picture003.jpg

This setup was a d16y4 - non vtec SOHC.
t4 turbo
720cc injectors
microtech
arias pistons
y8 intake manifold
log exhaust manifold
~22psi of boost.

it ran a best of 12.1 @ 119mph on falken azeines.

How can u not repect that?

saxman
27-03-2006, 10:55 PM
no torque numbers(where turbos really shine over n/a motors)?

saxman
27-03-2006, 10:57 PM
21.1 @ 119? those turbos must really slow the cars down!

Weq
27-03-2006, 10:58 PM
21.1 @ 119? those turbos must really slow the cars down!

edit'd. Sorry in aussie land, we dont beleive in reading torque through the gearbox. Just like we dont belive is claiming flywheel HP atw :) BUT thats another thread all together!!

saxman
27-03-2006, 11:05 PM
what's the difference in reading torque through the gearbox and reading hp through the gear box?

vtec>turbo
28-03-2006, 12:39 AM
tell me: how many of these wickedly mega turboed d16s actually lasted?

no little ausdm d16 rubbish will last long when u chuck boost thru it unless u spend mega dollars on forged engine and decent fuel combo and perfectly tuned length ex manifold etc etc. and who would waste their money?? ask 17son hed know.....

it is way too easy just to slap on a turbo and some bigger injectors and 300 dollar emanage from autobarn and take it to a dyno, get 120kw (yay!!..... not...) take it to the drags and then find out it runs a 14.9 woopdee and then it blow up....

beastcivic with the toda/spoon b16b====> *bows down* thats awesome!!!!

and the dude who said that b16s are not that good and wonders why ppl think theyre gods gift to engines?? who said they are? theyre an awesome engine but all engines have their limits. a lot of ppl say the rb26 is gods gift to engines. obviously theyre not either. but their damn good at what their built for. just like the b16a. put one in a eg or ek or wateva and uv got urself a decent na platform to work from. light, revvy, more torque then ppl giv them credit for and they produce awesome results because of this.

keep ur turbos on the other side of the fence please (nissan and toyota etc). hondas are meant to be na. simple.

saxman
28-03-2006, 02:32 AM
many have lasted for a very long time... all comes down to the quality of the tune.

Please, though, enlighten me on how forged engine, tuned length manifold, etc make any difference in reliability?

If you go and buy a turbo, a crappy emanage, and just throw it on the car, you're absolutely right, it will probably blow up in a timely manner. Tuning is key, and with it out, the engine won't last.

what do you consider more torque than people give them credit for?

if it's of any consequence, up until last week I had my del sol with a turbo d16z6 in it, and an 88 crx with an n/a b18 in it. The turbo produced far more power, far more torque, and a far more drivable engine overall by far.

jimmeh
28-03-2006, 12:51 PM
beastcivic with the toda/spoon b16b====> *bows down* thats awesome!!!!

Dude they baited you and you fell for it hook line and sinker. that timeslip is from turbo d.

saxman- y do u even bother with these ppl. ill bet that most of anti D ppl have never been inside a turbo D. let alone stood next to one.

NeRV
28-03-2006, 03:46 PM
everyone over looks the D motors and just drop in a B... i think D's have alot of potential and is cheaper to build =) ... right now i have a d15b7 and i know its not the king of any motors, but its so fun for what it is...

Weq
28-03-2006, 05:34 PM
tell me: how many of these wickedly mega turboed d16s actually lasted?

no little ausdm d16 rubbish will last long when u chuck boost thru it

Mine lasted a little over a year (40,000km boosted) 150,000km total, beating on it everyday, killing B-series every friday and nissans saturdays and subbys sunday morning on the way home. THis was until i decided it was too slow and rebuilt it for high boost. It put out 140kw @ 11psi. Stock internals. Stock head, Stock intake manifold. Log exhaust manifold. I upgraded because i wanted more then a NSX killer. It ran 13.9@101mph.

Also i put this too you.
How long to u think a 'race' engine will last. an b16 that makes 130kw is gonna be revving to 10k atleast. Go ask spoon how many races there engines last until they need to be rebuilt :)

ProECU
28-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Saxman,
Are you making those manifolds? what's the story there?

http://www.upshizzle.com/x/manifoldleft.jpg

saxman
28-03-2006, 06:25 PM
had the manifold made for me by a guy in canada... that's a photo he took for me while it was being made. Only photo I have of it bolted up. Had it custom made for me so I could retain a/c with an internal wastegate(had a take off for an external wastegate added to allow for ease of expansion later on if/when I decided to either sell it or switch to an external wastegate set up). Cost me $450 to have made.

http://www.upshizzle.com/x/manifoldtop.jpg

http://www.upshizzle.com/x/manifoldweld.jpg

vtec>turbo
28-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Dude they baited you and you fell for it hook line and sinker. that timeslip is from turbo d.

saxman- y do u even bother with these ppl. ill bet that most of anti D ppl have never been inside a turbo D. let alone stood next to one.

I didnt fall for anything. i was talking about the MODS to the b16b. i love the idea of doing that to such a rare and tuff na engine. who cares about the time slip. y are u guys talking about power and torque and stuff about a turbo honda. isnt the point of this thread to establish that the b16 is a better engine than the d16??? or vice versa :confused: ??

as someone said, all things being equal a b16a is by far a better engine imo. any car and any engine can be quick if u turbo it and spend big dollars making it reliable. just like a turboed d16. its like saying a rb26 is a superior engine SIMPLY coz of its torque and power etc compared to a na b18c, for example. i think u have to compare like to like. rb26 vs b18c is not a fair comparison. comparing a turbo d16 to a na b16 is not fair either. they are built for different intentions. one most would say is built for drags and the other, most would say is built for the track. they are a different engines. and have different aims.

respect to any honda running 12s or lower. it is a fair effort. do not get me wrong. all i am saying is that if we compare in relation to what most hondas are built for (circuit/track) most would agree that the general idea is not necessarily based around power and torque, but moreover, reliabilty, well balanced chassis, lightweight construction and REVS REVS AND MORE REVS. lol

my opinion. all ppl have different ones.

and jimmeh: iv beaten a turbo d (not a very good one mind you). there are not many GOOD around here in brisbane i can tell you that much. lol

saxman
28-03-2006, 10:13 PM
we're comparing a turbo d16 and an n/a b16 because for someone looking to make power in their honda, they're both readily available options that aren't that far apart in cost. One of the pros of the d16 over the b16 is that for the same price as the stock b16, you can make FAR more power. That's a pretty good pro in my mind.

Weq
28-03-2006, 10:19 PM
I didnt fall for anything. i was talking about the MODS to the b16b. i love the idea of doing that to such a rare and tuff na engine. who cares about the time slip. y are u guys talking about power and torque and stuff about a turbo honda. isnt the point of this thread to establish that the b16 is a better engine than the d16??? or vice versa :confused: ??

U still dont get it do you...... there was never a b16b... no b16b with mods... it was a timeslip that was MADE with a turboD. it was disguised to show how biased the JDM ricers are!! ie YOU.

edity: the thread was flawed from the start. Actually i think i went off topic about 3 pages ago. I think the main points are

D16
PRO:
Cheap and good power NA or turbo

CON:
Expensive to get GREAT of power NA

B16:
PRO:
Cheaper to get GREAT power

CON:
Expensive to get good power NA or turbo

Conclusion:
*Swapping a b-series engine into a D-sries car is expensive for power/$ ratio in stock form. SAme amount of money will get u a monster D.

* GREAT power is made easier with b-series. the DOHC vtec head design allows for superior power ratio per mod.

* JDM ricers cant tell the difference between a hardcore NA b16, or a stock turbo d16.

* JDM ricers will never respect turbo honda's, even though they are much faster around the track then a NA honda, because they beleive it goes against honda's heritage...

* Honda heritage was not about producing fast cars.

kOncept
29-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Correction:

D16
PRO:
Cheap and good power NA (modified) or turbo
You probably already have one
If it blows it's cheap to replace

CON:
Expensive to get GREAT of power NA

B16:
PRO:
Cheaper to get GREAT power
Good power to begin with
Better base to work from if money aint an issue

CON:
Expensive to get good power NA or turbo

:eek:

mj3610
29-03-2006, 09:11 AM
The 20k i invested into that engine, was worth every penny. Its NA, so it has way more control then any turbo rice rocket.

lol u mightve overspent ur money on a decent NA engine with juice , but in the end u have a shit car, its disgusting when ur going around a tight curve and ur wheels lock up and u go into the gutter...

saxman
29-03-2006, 09:28 AM
lol u mightve overspent ur money on a decent NA engine with juice , but in the end u have a shit car, its disgusting when ur going around a tight curve and ur wheels lock up and u go into the gutter...
weq has a turbo motor... he was being sarcastic... again

mj3610
29-03-2006, 09:39 AM
weq has a turbo motor... he was being sarcastic... again
i never get his sarcasm he never makes sense, but anyways, i still stand with what i said, thats why i dont like hondas much even tho i drive one...

saxman
29-03-2006, 10:08 AM
not all hondas understeer... all has to do with how the suspension is set up.

From the factory they do, as most cars, even rwd, do, because automobile manufactures think it's safer for the car to understeer than to oversteer.

Dylanamus
29-03-2006, 10:50 AM
It's a suspension and tyres thing. You could also stiffen the rear swaybar and put more slippery tyres on the rear to encourage oversteer if you prefer it. I also find that understeer is a relatively simple thing to correct, assuming you weren't attempting a really sharp corner with hardly any drift space. Front wheel drives will never be the same as RWD though, so if you prefer a RWD, don't get a Honda... No excuse really :P
If I had a d series engine and my only requirement was raw power, I wouldn't bother with a swap. I follow the same theory with my b16a CRX. I would have got an integra if I wanted a b18c. You're better off working with what you've got, unless you have specific goals, ie a full race N/A engine. Then I'd recommend buying a b series half cut. Personally my goal is a high revving 1600cc class hill/mountain racer. :)

EG6_SiR
29-03-2006, 11:12 PM
(Quote from Weq)* JDM ricers cant tell the difference between a hardcore NA b16, or a stock turbo d16. JDM ricers will never respect turbo honda's, even though they are much faster around the track then a NA honda, because they beleive it goes against honda's heritage...

JDM ricers hey, man I think it isn’t hard to tell the difference between a hardcore NA B16 and a Turbo D16… one it slightly revs if you haven’t noticed, rofl

(Quote from Mj3610) lol u mightve overspent ur money on a decent NA engine with juice , but in the end u have a shit car, its disgusting when ur going around a tight curve and ur wheels lock up and u go into the gutter...

Hey mate I think you better learn why a car may do that. It isn’t because of the engine buddy, it is called suspension. And by the way, most NA engines don’t waste there money one engine mods, and decide to spend it on the suspension, cause that is where you can make up a few seconds. They don’t need to mod the engine cause it will go damm well on track, my stock Eg6 with suspension is doing dam well on track and so are a many others out at Queensland raceway. But then again you probably think a VN commodore handles well, hahahahah.

n/a
30-03-2006, 12:43 AM
this thread is completely hilarous! it's 2am and i'm studying, this sure put the jam back in my donut!! thanks for the good laugh guys!

hey weq let me race your hetic B16B :p

According In QLD
01-04-2006, 01:59 AM
cant believe this thread is still going lol....