PDA

View Full Version : sound system

justrunit
26-03-2006, 12:58 PM
I know its not a performance mod or anything like that but i want to put a big sound system in my car
I have 2grand to play with.
What should I do?
I want an mp3 player, and an amp, sub and some new speakers.
What should I do?
Also is there like a specific LOUDNESS that you can have in the car?
Like you know with exhausts if its too loud its a defect, but would a loud system be a defect too?

Zdster
26-03-2006, 02:02 PM
With $2000 to spend you have a fair amount to play with. Try checking out caraudioaustralia.com as I know they get posts like this all time.

Stoosh
26-03-2006, 03:50 PM
there is a limit to how loud you can have your stereo i think they call it "noise pollution"

but cops cant bust you if you dont have it up
i.e. if you are driving and get pulled over they cannot ask you to turn it up to see if its too loud, if you understand what i mean

i try and use the same company for each part of the system
ie. im using a kicker monoblock to run my kicker 2 x 12's and a JVC 4 channel to run my JVC speakers. but i had a budget setup and thats just my personal preference

ICV 73C
26-03-2006, 04:01 PM
are u in sydney ? if so go down to lifestyle paramatta, and talk deals with them. TOP QUALITY GEAR and great customer service. heaps too choose from. and from what your willing to pay, i recommend them. i would have went to them IF i had the money.

Stoosh
26-03-2006, 04:03 PM
yes lifestyle is one of the premier car audio shops in sydney

krogoth
26-03-2006, 04:27 PM
if u live in melbourne, ive started work on ma car in a place in camberwell,
AUDIO FX toorak road

theyre pros, the guys there have made sound systems for cars that have won awards at the Auto Salon

justrunit
26-03-2006, 05:37 PM
thanks heaps guys!
have you heard of strathfield car radios?
are they any good?

ICV 73C
26-03-2006, 06:01 PM
strathfield car radio are alrite, but they've got basic brands such as sony, kenwood, pioneer etc... look around and get quotes. for $2000 i would go a higher brand such as Rockford OR Bostons OR Alpines or something.

krogoth
26-03-2006, 06:42 PM
btw, unless u know everything there is to know about car audio, dont go to jb hifi

theyre like robots, they do exactly wat u tell them and they wont tell u if its a good set up or a bad set up

and the way they label their products is decieving
eg, a sony explod 12" sub has a 100w rms rating, they put 500w on the label, thats actually the absolute limit of the sub, itll hit that level of power for one second before blowing up

and they dont give u advice on jakshit. if u tell em wat they think of audioline, theyll say, "oh yeah, theyre alrite" and if u ask them wats beta, an audioline amp or a cadence amp, theyll say, "theyre both good brands"

that is absolute bs, freeken audioline no name shit, ma mate payed $500 for his monoblok audioline amp and he used it to its rms ratin to power a explod sub that matched the rms rating of the amp, and the amp fried, its been 2 months, the amp is still in repairs

Stoosh
26-03-2006, 06:56 PM
strathfield are ok if you are buying the more expenisve things, my HU was bought from there the pioneer 7750

also if you buy the pioneer splits or mtx splits they would be alright, just stay away from the sonys IMO

but they dont compare to the brands that lifestyle and other car audio places stock

PM me for more info about addresses etc if ya need it

Fr3aKi3
26-03-2006, 07:20 PM
As Zdster mentioend, check out caraudioaustralia.com.au

There's loads of people that can help you out there.
Lifestyle store has got some great deals on right now so if you're in syd go check it out.

Also take a look at the FHRX website (www.fhrxstudios.com) and there's a list of suggestion of what gear to get for certain budgets. Or better yet call em up.

stanleym
26-03-2006, 09:59 PM
NSW laws state

Car can be defectable if the sound system can be heard from a 50 m radius
not very far i kno
i am sure many standard cars systems can go up high enough to do just this but it would sound shit...... but then again 1 am in the morning pumping system hmm i think 200m radius could hear lol

h22a accord
27-03-2006, 08:22 AM
2 large will get a a good setup, my personal choise would be spend $600 on your choice of HU, $400 on a nice jaycar amp, $400 on a great set of splits and either coaxials/6x9's and a few hundred on an 800watt pioneer sub in an enclosed box. use the rest of the money to buy good wiring.

Do not underestimate the quality and performance of jaycar, i have a jaycar 4x100 mosfet amp running a pair of splits and a boxed pioneer 800wrms sub with a db of 129.6db and it sounds better than my mates $4500 alpine system...he is dirty about that.

civicCXI
28-03-2006, 04:50 PM
$2000 enough for all that? Don't u need at least $3000 to get good or big if you like sound system?

czy_sol87
28-03-2006, 05:55 PM
expect to blow ur buget, 2k isnt that much for a sound system, i spent 1.5-2k alone just on 2 amps and a sub. expect to pay another 500-600 for a decent headunit, then comes speakers depending how many, usually 4, could cost up to 300 per pair. however, do not underestmate the quality of jaycar because it is cheaper, they are by far the best bang for buck. where u located?