PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting battery

3t3rn1ty
26-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi guys..

got a little problem with my gf's jazz.... 03 VTIS auto... battery died (still got some juice, but not enough to turn the sucker over) and need to replace a new one... when i was about to remove the battery.. there was a tag says disconnecting battery may cause damage to the Automatic transmission memory settings and to contact Honda dealer.

Can someone tell me if i still can disconnect it or how I should go about it. Thanks

JasonGilholme
26-03-2006, 05:58 PM
wouldn't this be the same as resetting the ECU??? I just think you would have to let it idle for a while and take it easy through the first few take offs just so it figures out when to change.

Just a thought. Someone will probly clarify it fully.

Zimp13
26-03-2006, 06:32 PM
i suggest do a search.... i think this topic been covered before

ACE888
26-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Hi guys..

got a little problem with my gf's jazz.... 03 VTIS auto... battery died (still got some juice, but not enough to turn the sucker over) and need to replace a new one... when i was about to remove the battery.. there was a tag says disconnecting battery may cause damage to the Automatic transmission memory settings and to contact Honda dealer.

Can someone tell me if i still can disconnect it or how I should go about it. Thanks

there's a warning sign? hehe i didnt even see one when I recently replaced the battery on my Jazz.....

anyway, the car seems to be working fine......

terris08
27-03-2006, 06:06 PM
I want to ask this question as well.....if it says that it can cause damage to the automatic transimmion, then we sorts of damage is it?
Also, how can we tell when the battery has to be replaced?

sassy_fit_vtit
27-03-2006, 07:52 PM
jump start it?

PaZzMaN-R
27-03-2006, 08:04 PM
NOOOOO!!!!!! when the battery dies in the jazz you need to get the ecu reprogramed as it forgets how the auto cvt transmision works. take it to the dealership you purchased it from and im sure it only takes around 5 mins to rectify and your baby will run like new again.

hope this helps gentlemen and ladies..

(i think its a helpful post so pls add to my rep points:) )

Jezzah
27-03-2006, 11:21 PM
no, it should be fine..
i removed my battery and it was fine.
nothing resetted. except the cd player.
you'll be fine

sassy_fit_vtit
28-03-2006, 12:36 AM
.. u guys dont make any sense. how are u supposed to take ur car to the dealer whilst the battery is dead and u cant start the car.. are u really going to spend a couple hundred on a toe truck?lol

ahcash
28-03-2006, 12:36 PM
replace the battery.. call the dealer and ask if there is any problemt.. if they say : "bring in the friggin car" .. then do as your were told.. they might have to do the "idle learning" procedures on the ECU or CVT...

Don't think there should have any issues..

Dreams
28-03-2006, 01:41 PM
there will be something weird happening with the car, i can guarantee!.
cvt will feel jerky, can try to slow down the car around 30-40km/h. auto switch for powerwindows will not work cant remember what else, but dont worry after a few runs they will be BACK TO NORMAL!.

ahcash
28-03-2006, 02:13 PM
hahah.. dreams would have some experience before? How did the CVT reset procedure help?

jazz_honda
28-03-2006, 02:38 PM
happend to me...disconnected the battery because i was installing a grounding kit and volt stabilizer...then hooked it up again....the only thing that reset from my car was the head unit....but my car is still ok so far....

where is this "TAG" located exactly?....cause mine has no tag....

edy_l
28-03-2006, 03:12 PM
i think it's on one of the cable that connect to the battery..

Zimp13
28-03-2006, 03:14 PM
cvt gear box costs around 11k new....... hehehe.... so cheap !!!!!!!!

ACE888
28-03-2006, 04:48 PM
there will be something weird happening with the car, i can guarantee!.
cvt will feel jerky, can try to slow down the car around 30-40km/h. auto switch for powerwindows will not work cant remember what else, but dont worry after a few runs they will be BACK TO NORMAL!.

ahhh this guy's right, i remember now... when i replaced the battery the drivers power window was very very funny, it wouldnt auto down or auto up, but then it kind of worked after wards... but after a few times, everything is normal....

PaZzMaN-R
28-03-2006, 06:53 PM
guys the car will start again but will be in a limp mode (not exactly limp mode but yeh). it will run but not to the original standards hence why it needs to have the ecu reprogramed. the cvt will be jerky and not like its supposed to be as well as power windows. i never said anything about tow trucks!!! i said car will run but not as well as it sould.

ahcash
29-03-2006, 09:00 AM
claymore.. what page in the manual .. I couldn't find it.. :D

mj3610
29-03-2006, 09:20 AM
why dont you just call a honda dealership and ask one of the mechanics there?

ahcash
29-03-2006, 04:34 PM
What's with you guys I post directly from the HONDA REPAIR MANUAL and you still need to offer more unverified advice??

ahcash, don't know the page as using download that doesn't have page numbers. This section came in the remove and replace the transmission section.

OK OK ... I will look for it again.. Thanks.

Dreams
30-03-2006, 08:14 AM
guys the car will start again but will be in a limp mode (not exactly limp mode but yeh). it will run but not to the original standards hence why it needs to have the ecu reprogramed. the cvt will be jerky and not like its supposed to be as well as power windows. i never said anything about tow trucks!!! i said car will run but not as well as it sould.

yes thank you for revising me words.
:confused:

lol..

@ahcash.
i did the procedure, i dont know wether its true or by time it got fixed by it self .. weird.. :confused:

FIT
06-04-2006, 09:08 PM
called honda today to replace my battery, they offered me $109 for the battery and $55-60 to re-calibre the cvt. No THANKS

Anyone here recommend a good batt for the jazz?

i guess i need to reset ecu, reset cvt and recalibre the cvt..

ahcash
07-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Try Hanny.. Very reputated Honda Workshop.

FIT
07-04-2006, 11:26 PM
well, i've already replaced the battery, its all good (made some mod to the terminals cuz the honda ones does not fit.. and have tried to reset and calibre the cvt...

cvt works fine.

i asked peter warren honda dealer, they say it takes 3-4 weeks if u order the original battery from them and they say in japan car batteries can cost like $300aus..?????