PDA

View Full Version : cat back exhaust too loud on integra

bside
26-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Hey guys i've got a integra 98 gsi. I changed the cat back piping on the car to mandrel bent 2.25", with a 4 inch tip muffler.

Now, the problem. The cat back exhaust setup is farrrken loud and it shits me. I NOW want my noise level to be at stock. So now I'm going to take off my cannon.

My question is, with the 2.25 inch piping, and putting my STOCK muffler back on, will the noise level be loud? or a BIT louder then stock? ppl have told me, it will be fine, and NO WHERE NEAR loud like a cannon. So basically the noise will be just a bit louder then stock...

Anyone had done this before? or can give me any recommendations on what the noise will be like with the 2.25" pipe and stock muffler?

OR

Am i just better off putting the ORIGINAL pipe back on with my stock muffler.
I just want to save time and hassle for me and the mechanics. So whats my best bet...

I know there is like resonators, hot dogs, and silencers, but really, i just want a quiet and smooth ride.

Thanks guys! let me know what ya think!! :)

shebangs
26-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Why not just put another resonator in? 2 resonators and a cannon shouldn't be too loud, it will fire up when you plant your foot but cruising it should be rather quiet..

locote
26-03-2006, 09:13 PM
i got resonators in my with a canon at rear at it sounds fine

bside
26-03-2006, 09:35 PM
hmm ok guys, i dont want a resonator, mainly because if its not the right noise level then it gets all fussy and i cant afford to waste time. Basically i want a STOCK noise level. So can anyone confirm.

My question is, with the 2.25 inch piping, and putting my STOCK muffler back on, will the noise level be loud? or a BIT louder then stock? ppl have told me, it will be fine, and NO WHERE NEAR loud like a cannon. So basically the noise will be just a bit louder then stock...

Anyone had done this before? or can give me any recommendations on what the noise will be like with the 2.25" pipe and stock muffler?

OR

Am i just better off putting the ORIGINAL pipe back on with my stock muffler.
I just want to save time and hassle for me and the mechanics. So whats my best bet..

dc2dc2dc2
26-03-2006, 09:37 PM
put on stock.

eriktufa
26-03-2006, 09:43 PM
How about changing your muffler and keep the axle back? or keep the muffler and change the axle back, it works somehow though

bside
26-03-2006, 09:48 PM
hey guys, can you please kinda answer my question.
i mean if I put the STOCK muffler back on the 2.25" pipe, will the noise level of the acceleration be loud? or just a bit louder compared to the stock pipe?

I believe the original piping is 1.78inch or something. I have 2.25inch piping.

SKREMN
26-03-2006, 10:02 PM
The size of the pipe doesnt effect the DB leven of the exhaust by much if at all
its all in the mufflers
I used to have 2 1/4" exhaust then changed to 2 1/2" differnet muffler and it was quieter

the 4" muffler/cannon/tip you have is what will be making all the noise
so therefor it may be a little londer then stock set up if you put your stock muffler back on
but you will be sacraficing performance by restriction the flow in your stock mufflers then your whole exhaust system is a waste

bside
26-03-2006, 10:27 PM
SKREMN: thanks for your reply.
performance to me atm doesn't matter at all. I just want a ride thats going to get me back and forth. Hmmm by since yo mentioned it, how much performance depreciates?

Btw, do you think i should just take off the cannon or the whole catback and put the original back on?

JRC
27-03-2006, 03:40 AM
umm....i think you got 2 main options....sell the exhaust and find one from a dc2R cos that will still be quiet but have much better flow because if you start changing diameters biggger and smaller you will lose any gains a larger exhaust brings as well as potentially damaging youe engine......so either get a new muffler or a catback from an R.....

destrukshn
27-03-2006, 07:17 AM
you gotta remember that even if you put your oringial muffler back on, you still don't ahve a middle muffler/resonator not he new pipe, so it will be louder than stock.

JasonGilholme
27-03-2006, 07:52 AM
If you want a stock sound put the phuckin stock system on. Is that too hard to figure out. If you want more performance your gonna have to sacrafice noise level.

Its that simple.

Do you udnerstand now???

bside
27-03-2006, 08:47 AM
understood.

Zdster
27-03-2006, 09:42 AM
I dont understand why you changed your cat back at all if you like the stock mufflers sound and dont care about performance?

A resonator should eliminate some of the raspiness of the exhaust anyway, so why not consider putting in a long resonator (ie 20 or 22") and this will quiet the system down considerably.

bside
27-03-2006, 12:46 PM
the reason behind all this is because i had an operation on my ear, and the cat back exhaust too loud for my ear, therefore need to go back to stock.

bside
27-03-2006, 02:33 PM
anyways guys, what i've decided to do and have done, was go back to full stock. :)
thanks for all your input.

SKREMN
30-03-2006, 08:59 PM
If you want a stock sound put the phuckin stock system on. Is that too hard to figure out. If you want more performance your gonna have to sacrafice noise level.

Its that simple.

Do you udnerstand now???
Not correct you can have better performance and not go to loud its all in the type of muffler used
I went from 2 1/4" loud to 2 1/2" now its alot quieter
I got a really big muffler with mandrel internals and a quality resonator this baffels the sound great this may only sacrafice performance very slightly also I had performance gains with this change
you mostly hear the vtec scream of my car not the exhaust

r3xtc
30-03-2006, 09:11 PM
putting the stock muffler back on will bring it back to stock noise on idle.... u'll hear it once you go above 4000rpm

bside
30-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Not correct you can have better performance and not go to loud its all in the type of muffler used
I went from 2 1/4" loud to 2 1/2" now its alot quieter
I got a really big muffler with mandrel internals and a quality resonator this baffels the sound great this may only sacrafice performance very slightly also I had performance gains with this change
you mostly hear the vtec scream of my car not the exhaust

good point....hope he "phuckin" understands. :p

MR_PEA
30-03-2006, 11:28 PM
you could also pull that cannon off and put in its place a real mufler,, get a sports one
but going back to stock would be the cheaper option...

T-onedc2
31-03-2006, 04:27 PM
I personally would highly recommend the Spoon Axle Back Street Silencer, not cheap but sound levels so close to stock it's not funny, but still has a nice sound.

PHASE2
01-04-2006, 08:35 PM
while everyone is talking about exausts, what piping should be used for ls integra?

SKREMN
01-04-2006, 11:37 PM
are we talkign about pipe size?
on my stock LS motor i used 2 1/4" this worked very well for me i had hurracane headders and a K&N filter thats it

spoondc2
02-04-2006, 02:21 AM
I personally would highly recommend the Spoon Axle Back Street Silencer, not cheap but sound levels so close to stock it's not funny, but still has a nice sound.

Ya... but actually spoon street muffler just flow a little bit better than stock dc2r muffler... forgot the exact data but just tiny more flow

T-onedc2
02-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Ya... but actually spoon street muffler just flow a little bit better than stock dc2r muffler... forgot the exact data but just tiny more flow
And dc2r flows 30% better than vtir, so unless you have a modded dc2r it's fine.