PDA

View Full Version : Rear Integra/Civic Shock Lengths - Need Help!

Redteg
21-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Peoples, after extensive testing of the aesthetically perfect height for the rear of my Integra (read: After taking out the rear suspension and using a trolley jack and tape measure to 'lower' the car and record measurements, as well as admiring the car with 5 fat bastards sitting in it), I have concluded that I'd be happy with the rear of my car a further 4cms lower than it already is. This will ensure adequate travel, whilst causing minimal camber which I can fix with the world famous "washer trick".

Getting springs made up lower is easy enough; what I need is rear shocks which will keep the springs captive. Shock rates may differ between the cars, but I'm just testing out the heights at the moment.

I have heard that EF Civic shocks are shorter (as are the springs). And here is my question:

Can someone PLEEEEEASE measure the height of an EF Civic shock they may have lying around; measuring from the bottom mount to the spring perch, and from the bottom mount to the top of the rod (or any other way which will let me work this out).

Also, can the same be done with a DC/EG shock? Maybe a DA shock too, since I have foolishly put them back on the car.

Any measurements will be appreciated, and rewarded with a hug (for the ladies only!)

If I get this sorted and can go buy the stuff tomorrow it can mean I can finally do a write-up on spring/shock installation, as well as a spec table which may help our lower brothers and sisters out there.

Redteg
22-04-2004, 10:37 PM
WELL FINE!

hehe

From my research conducted at Honbits, I have concluded that there is at least an inch to two inches difference in the DC shocks, from the perch to the top of the rod, whilst the shock body itself is shorter, allowing for more travel.

What this means? I should be able to go the 2 inches lower over what I have now, whilst retaining a fair amount of travel. Rear camber should not be an issue as I have sourced longer upper arm bolts and washers.

This may help DA owners who would like to go lower whilst retaining captive springs and adequate travel.

Matt, If you read this, I'll buzz or PM you about next week.