PDA

View Full Version : Powerloss after fitting muffler[need help]

gmug3n
26-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Wassup Jazz owners,

I got my muffler fitted onto my car about a month ago, and I noticed that the strenght of the car is not as strong as before when it had the oringinal muffler on and also produces exploding kinna sound. A friend of mine said that its because the standard catalyt is still connected to the system. He advised me to go to workshop and get the cat chopped off and replace it with a steel pipe. He reckons that no harm will be done after that, and power will increase. I need some advice about this.

Ch33rs

vtec_jet
26-03-2006, 11:33 PM
so basiaclly ur mate is saying gut the cat, and have no cat back???

that will give you a $10 000 fine on the spot dude..

Zimp13
26-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Wassup Jazz owners,

I got my muffler fitted onto my car about a month ago, and I noticed that the strenght of the car is not as strong as before when it had the oringinal muffler on and also produces exploding kinna sound. A friend of mine said that its because the standard catalyt is still connected to the system. He advised me to go to workshop and get the cat chopped off and replace it with a steel pipe. He reckons that no harm will be done after that, and power will increase. I need some advice about this.

Ch33rs

wat muffler did u get? this is the 1st thread about this kind of muffler problem on jazz. U get rid of the catalic converter, most likely u gonna lose more low end... how big is the tip of the muffler, also wats the pipe size??

gmug3n
26-03-2006, 11:39 PM
vtec_jet

What's ur advice to get the power restore?

gmug3n
26-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Zimp13

Arospeed carbon fibre
pipe size is 2.25 inch...cant remember the tip of the muffler
what do u think i shud do??

Zimp13
27-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Zimp13

Arospeed carbon fibre
pipe size is 2.25 inch...cant remember the tip of the muffler
what do u think i shud do??

jazz has a small capacity engine... 2.25 inch is too big... max size is 2"....also if the tip is too big u ll lose back pressure..... as for the sound, i guess thats the sound that the muffler produces....

vtec_jet
27-03-2006, 12:06 AM
this jus soundz wierd in a way there shuldnt really a problem ..
Is it welded on or bolt on? any resonators? first thing i wuld think of is the quality of the muffler and also the installation of the system.. a high flow cat could do the job...

vtec_jet
27-03-2006, 12:09 AM
ive seen a jazz wit 2.25 size piping on them, neva thoguht it wuld be a problem... 2 inch wuld probably be a good option to consider though

Zimp13
27-03-2006, 12:12 AM
this jus soundz wierd in a way there shuldnt really a problem ..
Is it welded on or bolt on? any resonators? first thing i wuld think of is the quality of the muffler and also the installation of the system.. a high flow cat could do the job...

the resonator is on the bpipe of the car... wats that gotto do with the power loss?

a muffler and its piping which are too big for the car will cause loss of power.... cant put a muffler for turbo car on a na car... 2.25" is simply too big for jazz.... i havent seen any 2.25" bolt on muffler for jazz yet

Zimp13
27-03-2006, 12:14 AM
ive seen a jazz wit 2.25 size piping on them, neva thoguht it wuld be a problem... 2 inch wuld probably be a good option to consider though

really???? :confused:

gmug3n
27-03-2006, 12:16 AM
so if i just replace the cat everything will be fine??guess i have to pop back to the workshop and ask them bout it,sound of the muffler doesnt reallly matter to me but its just not worth it to fit a muffler to get the sound and loses power....

^CarBoy^
27-03-2006, 12:21 AM
2.25" pipe is too big. You will certainly lose power. Get it changed to 2".

Zimp13
27-03-2006, 12:25 AM
so if i just replace the cat everything will be fine??guess i have to pop back to the workshop and ask them bout it,sound of the muffler doesnt reallly matter to me but its just not worth it to fit a muffler to get the sound and loses power....

i guess thats certainly 1 way of finding it out.... and all the best.... :wave:

gmug3n
27-03-2006, 12:25 AM
hehehe
I was offered a cobra 2.5" before but rejected it
Im not sure wat the actual problem is, prolly the guy fitted wrongly or the muffler just doesnt suit jazz. im confused...

vtec_jet
27-03-2006, 12:29 AM
yeh jus go the 2" pipe, and see how it goes...

Zimp13- was asking bout the resonator just so i know the setup, i am aware of the power loss of a car wen piping is too big etc etc....

gmug3n
27-03-2006, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the info zimp13
Do need advice and inspirations
Only minimal knowlegde about car performance modif
More into sound sys

So u guys reckon i should change the muffler??

gmug3n
27-03-2006, 12:42 AM
carboy,

u have pics of ur jazz??

Zimp13
27-03-2006, 03:28 AM
yeh jus go the 2" pipe, and see how it goes...

Zimp13- was asking bout the resonator just so i know the setup, i am aware of the power loss of a car wen piping is too big etc etc....

vtec_jet, i wasnt pointing anything towards u... :thumbsup:

Zimp13
27-03-2006, 03:29 AM
hehehe
I was offered a cobra 2.5" before but rejected it
Im not sure wat the actual problem is, prolly the guy fitted wrongly or the muffler just doesnt suit jazz. im confused...

gmug3n, where u located anyway? not a good recommendation from that guy at all.... :thumbdwn:

ahcash
27-03-2006, 08:08 AM
mate.. whatever you do.. keep the CAT... for the environment...
Ziimp13 can probably sell you a high-flow cat...

muli
27-03-2006, 02:06 PM
with the exploding do you get flames as well :) whats the welding like and the pipe bend on the pipe that comes off the b-pipe, is it bolt on or did you get your old one chopped off?

Jezzah
27-03-2006, 11:24 PM
yeh i would agree with that.

sassy_fit_vtit
28-03-2006, 12:46 AM
i got a hi flo sitting around but its 2.5"

the noise is what u call farting.. personally. i dont belive honda's should have exhausts on them, well at least if u dont need it.. sounds funny..

air23box
28-03-2006, 03:30 AM
its completely not relate to the cat bro.....just the pipe is too big...coz you lost back pressure......so you have no low end power.....but may get more gain on high end....but not for normal street use......high flow cat may help but you should get rite size piping for the car 1st.......there is nth to do with the cat bro...hope this help....

08ESE
28-03-2006, 05:09 PM
punching out a cat achieves NOTHING as well.

Ive seen it done a few times and it made no difference whatsoever!

asiansquad
28-03-2006, 05:51 PM
punching out a cat achieves NOTHING as well.

Ive seen it done a few times and it made no difference whatsoever!

apart from making ur car sound louder :P

08ESE
28-03-2006, 09:36 PM
didnt even do that

Zimp13
28-03-2006, 11:06 PM
in jazz high flow cat makes some differences...

KingRichard
29-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Hemm.. changing the exhaust should not effect much on the accelleration whats so ever. Unless you get the entire new exhaust system. Which I believe Zimp have it.

However since you lost power! it only mean the exhaust installed is not for your car. Getting rid the CC will make it worst.

The only best thing to do is to replace the current exhaust with the one made for Honda JAZZ. or just get the entire system (header, downpipe, bpipe, and exhaust)

Dreams
30-03-2006, 08:16 AM
shouldnt buy the cheap canons in the first place bruh!

muli
30-03-2006, 08:59 AM
i got cheap cannon off these forums for my jazz and it definately made it more responsive in the higher end of the rev range and improved fuel economy. Everything in the jazz seems to be restrictive.

gmug3n
02-04-2006, 01:39 AM
its completely not relate to the cat bro.....just the pipe is too big...coz you lost back pressure......so you have no low end power.....but may get more gain on high end....but not for normal street use......high flow cat may help but you should get rite size piping for the car 1st.......there is nth to do with the cat bro...hope this help....

Brought to the guy who fitted my muffler and he said that it's just strange for power loss. When i asked him about changing high flow cat, he said its not a good idea...will lose more power.

So i brought to a mechanic i know who focused on jap cars modification. He said exactly the same thing as u. Pipe is too big, lost back presure. He advised me to fit a VAFC or change the muffler. Recommended spoon,mugen or hks.
1) spoon has reasonable price, but only n1 style for jazz
2) mugen is a little too expensive
3) hks - few styles and price ranges between spoon and mugen.

I have to wait a little longer to get new mufflers from home, now have to stick with the current one for a bit. Parts in australia are too expensive.

whats the diff between high end and low end??

thanks for the info

gmug3n
02-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Which type of intake do u guys think is better??

pod filters or just replace the standard one??

KingRichard
02-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Brought to the guy who fitted my muffler and he said that it's just strange for power loss. When i asked him about changing high flow cat, he said its not a good idea...will lose more power.

So i brought to a mechanic i know who focused on jap cars modification. He said exactly the same thing as u. Pipe is too big, lost back presure. He advised me to fit a VAFC or change the muffler. Recommended spoon,mugen or hks.
1) spoon has reasonable price, but only n1 style for jazz
2) mugen is a little too expensive
3) hks - few styles and price ranges between spoon and mugen.

I have to wait a little longer to get new mufflers from home, now have to stick with the current one for a bit. Parts in australia are too expensive.

whats the diff between high end and low end??

thanks for the info

How about getting Xforces exhaust? Its cheap and have good quality. Compare to the above mention. Plus its Australian design, right zimp?? ;)

KingRichard
02-04-2006, 11:41 AM

Without any changes in the exhaust, you should go with standard K&N filter or simota..Open pod will decrease your performance..

spoon fit
02-04-2006, 01:00 PM
1) spoon has reasonable price, but only n1 style for jazz <-- wrong

http://www.spoon.jp/jp/products/images/lineup/410_09.jpg

Zimp13
02-04-2006, 04:58 PM
How about getting Xforces exhaust? Its cheap and have good quality. Compare to the above mention. Plus its Australian design, right zimp?? ;)

definitely... hehe...

panda[cRx]
02-04-2006, 05:30 PM

lol fix your exhaust first man!

leave pods to another thread man, stay on topic!

gmug3n
03-04-2006, 10:53 PM
:eek:

aznsiko
03-04-2006, 10:58 PM
wtf!! lol.. u cant cut the cat off... lol... who ever told you that is an idiot...