PDA

View Full Version : Aftermaret Water Gauge - Tips!

SINISTR
27-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Just something I experienced over thursday/friday last week... thought i'd share as some advice...

I had spend some money on the CRX [SINISTR] - not because I wanted to but because I had to.

When i went to get my gauges fitted I was told the car was low on the 'green stuff' - Coolant fluid. I was surprised as I checked it on the weekend before - and was full.
Then at last race meet in belmont I could smell some coolant... but had a look under the bonnet and everything was fine - no leaks that I could see anyway - coolant level wasn't too bad either.

On thursday I went for a drive and noticed the temp going pretty high, turned around to get home - and at home noticed some leaking happening around the top radiator tank... and that was my problem there... Top Radiator tank had a hairline crack... and needed to be replaced.

ONE THING i'll say... the aftermarket TEMP gauge did its job!
It showed me over 100 degree temperature before my in-dash gauge even moved over the half way line... definatelly a good sign to have in your car.

I can honestly recommend an aftermarket water temp gauge - and recommend if you can - Get one!

ProECU
27-03-2006, 11:28 AM
What did you do for a replacement cooler?

and yes, I agree, the temp needle in the cluster is a bity lazy and if I understand the cooling system correctly, it has to do with the sensor location.

Good Info

SINISTR
27-03-2006, 11:35 AM
I had to get the plastic top tank replaced --- basically they removed the radiator, unclamped the top tank and replace it.

Apparently its the actual - clamping thats used to attach the tanks to the actual radiator core - that overtime can cause the tank to crack from the expanding and contracting from the heat.

Yes - location of the sensor has alot to do with it I think - mine is located on the top radiator hose - just between the radiator and thermostat housing.

I think it saved me from a rebuild!

ProECU
27-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Stock Radiators all tend to have the same problem over time....
Hair line cracks around the neck and generally top tank fails.

Happened to mine, I spoke to honda about it and they confirmed its common.

I'm going a PWR aluminium core, so i'll do some datalogging when it arrives and revert with results.

SINISTR
27-03-2006, 11:42 AM
I was told also that my core is on the way out - possibly could get a year, maybe 2 out of it... could have done it all in one go now - but it would have been a $500 job over a $260 job - and since theres another year or two out of the stockie its worth while waiting - and It won't be as expensive as the top tank can be reused on the new core.

MR-VTEC
27-03-2006, 12:00 PM
yes i too agree that the factory temp gauge can be unreliable. my aftermarket water temp gauge read a 10 degree increase in temp when i did a radiator swap when my factory temp gauge didnt even move

Weq
27-03-2006, 04:55 PM
yes i too agree that the factory temp gauge can be unreliable. my aftermarket water temp gauge read a 10 degree increase in temp when i did a radiator swap when my factory temp gauge didnt even move

this is what everyone says. My cluster for some reason reads exactly what the sensor datalogs at. its small variation, but i can tell the exact temps now.

shmivic
27-03-2006, 08:23 PM
just a tip if anyones car overheats,

open the heater to full and blast the fan!

it works you will see the temp gauge fall really fast. handy if your far from home and car is getting hot