PDA

View Full Version : Wheels/Rims question - hopefully last.

zuiko
27-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi all,

SOme might know about my saga with finding a nice set of rims for my car.

I have the 2006 17" Honda alloys and was thinking about replacing them with 17" others for looks and keeping similar handling. It turns out the model I wanted is no longer available so I have to go for the alternative which was Enkei 18" RP-03.

Now I was quoted a price for these and then I got another call asking whether I'd like to sell the OEM Honda rims.

How much is fair for these. They're about 2 months old in the new '06 9 spoke pattern and the tyres which he wants as well have only 4000 km on them.

Also what's the deal with the spare tyre. I don't think he wanted all 5 of my wheels but if that was so then I'd assume the price he quoted for the RP-03s would have been for 5 wheels also.

Is it OK to have a 17" spare tyre and 18" on your car. What about selling time? Is it better to keep the existing rims to put back on the car when you sell it?

Give me some ideas or clues please.

BTW - I think the offer was for 4 Enkei RP-03s with Falken F1... tyres for $2500 - and an offer of $1500 for (hopefully 4) OEM 17" Honda alloys with tyres.

That would put me out $1000 with a 17" OEM spare; or if it was an offer for all 5 of mine then I'd have to pay almost $1500 for 5xEnkei RP-03s.

1. What's a fair price for the OEM 17" 2006 Honda alloys - 4x and 5x

2. Is a 17" spare acceptable?

3. Is it better to keep the OEM tyres for when I sell the car in a few years?

Thanks in advance.

yfin
27-03-2006, 01:44 PM
1. Fair price IMO is not less than $800 considering tyre value alone. I personally wouldn't take less. If you can't get that you are better off keeping the set and then selling the 18" and put the stockies back on (on sale). I don't think you will get $1500 but stranger things have happened on ebay. If you had the more sporty looking lux rims from the 2005 model I would be more optomistic.

2. Yes - assuming you don't do anything stupid with tyre sizes the overall diameter will be the same. The price the dealer quoted you will almost certainly be for 4 x the Enkei

3. See answer to 1 - answer is probably yes but unlikely to drastically impact the price unless your 18" rims look really bad. If you put chromies on you might even struggle selling the car :D

Ps - don't buy Falken tyres. Your OEM Bridgestones are better.
pps - for the money you are looking to spend don't rule out Work Emotion CR KAI - there are some traders selling them on ozhonda and those rims rock!

EuroDude
27-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Would an 18" spare wheel even fit in the euro?

yfin
27-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Would an 18" spare wheel even fit in the euro?

Yes as the overall diameter of the rim with tyre is the same (if you stick with a sensible tyre profile)

zuiko
27-03-2006, 02:44 PM
1. Fair price IMO is not less than $800 considering tyre value alone. I personally wouldn't take less. If you can't get that you are better off keeping the set and then selling the 18" and put the stockies back on (on sale). I don't think you will get $1500 but stranger things have happened on ebay. If you had the more sporty looking lux rims from the 2005 model I would be more optomistic.

2. Yes - assuming you don't do anything stupid with tyre sizes the overall diameter will be the same. The price the dealer quoted you will almost certainly be for 4 x the Enkei

3. See answer to 1 - answer is probably yes but unlikely to drastically impact the price unless your 18" rims look really bad. If you put chromies on you might even struggle selling the car :D

Ps - don't buy Falken tyres. Your OEM Bridgestones are better.
pps - for the money you are looking to spend don't rule out Work Emotion CR KAI - there are some traders selling them on ozhonda and those rims rock!

Hi yfin,

So in summary if I can get $1500 then I'd best take it by the sounds of it.

I know you're right with the Falken being inferior to the OEM Bridgestones. I'll ask about how much an upgrade will cost to something better.

I like the Work EMotion; they look a bit like the 5zigen Mk5's and for me they look too much like the 2005 OEM wheels.

I think the RP-03's will look great, but like you say the tyres need to be better than Falkens though people do say good things about those.

This picture is what turned me onto the RP-03's; they have a classic racing but understated look.

http://www.enkei.co.jp/en/products_img/fit_rp03_01.jpg

http://www.enkei.co.jp/en/products_img/elem_detail_rp03_s.jpg

I don't think I'd have trouble selling the car with those?

yfin
27-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Hi yfin,

So in summary if I can get $1500 then I'd best take it by the sounds of it.

I know you're right with the Falken being inferior to the OEM Bridgestones. I'll ask about how much an upgrade will cost to something better.

I like the Work EMotion; they look a bit like the 5zigen Mk5's and for me they look too much like the 2005 OEM wheels.

I think the RP-03's will look great, but like you say the tyres need to be better than Falkens though people do say good things about those.

This picture is what turned me onto the RP-03's; they have a classic racing but understated look.

I don't think I'd have trouble selling the car with those?

They will look good - it is a classic style. I personally prefer more spokes but they still look nice. You are also going down the right track of getting good quality rims and I think the price sounds right for 18" enkei. Make sure you shop around on price though and don't forget to ask the ozhonda dealers - they can get in enkeis too.

BiLL|z0r
27-03-2006, 07:12 PM
They look awesome. How much they weigh?

zuiko
27-03-2006, 08:16 PM
double.

zuiko
27-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Well it was all happening. $1500 for 4 of my new OEM stock wheels and $2500 for 4 RP-03s with Falken Azenis ST115 tyres.

Then a call saying that they wanted all 5 of my OEMs for an exchange with a 16" spare in return.

I liked the RP-03s but I'd rather keep my rims now I think.

And yfin's idea of the Work CR KAI Emotions is haunting me especially now that I've seen the chrome versions!

I've got one more iron in the fire in relation to the Enkei SC-01s but if that fails then I'm going to go the extra kilometer!

The RP-03's really lacked any pop that you get with some bright parts in the wheels. I like machined finishes.

yfin
28-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Zuiko got your PM - posting response here as people will have diff views. -With a black euro - Work emotion cr kai in BRONZE is the way to go. Just my opinion! I think 18s will look best but I am not sure how important all out performance is to you. :D

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4288278813

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pb558f2411928d579db891a407c4b0793/fa3f60a3.jpg

zuiko
28-03-2006, 11:40 AM
The deal with the RP-03s completely fell through after being changed again.

The SC-01s are definitely out of the picture as well as there are none left in the proper size for Euro in Australia or New Zealand.

The only other rim I'm truly liking is the Work EMotion CR Kai.

I actually like the bright metal look on black - the bronze looks somewhat muted and I can understand that look, but I like shiny bits. Only disadvantage is that it costs more but in the end I have to live with it.

zuiko
28-03-2006, 12:05 PM
And boy do Work make some nice wheels... I've just checked their site out and this is one hot set of rims. I'm beginning to see the light of more spokes :)

http://www.work-wheels.co.jp/wheels/index/xs2/view3.jpg

I've noticed that the offset can affect dramatically the appearance of the same set of rim designs. The Work Emotions look more plain with high offsets as the spokes look flat.

The one above has a highish offset but still looks really good.