PDA

View Full Version : changing my JDM 97 type-r brakes to 98+ 5 stud brakes

vrmmmpshhh
21-04-2004, 01:07 PM
how easy is this mod? ive seen bits and pieces around the place but i dont know easy it would be to do this. BTW im living in Kyoto japan and i have a 97 type r sedan with the 4x114.3 stud pattern. thanks guys.

VTEChnique
21-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Is there any advantage in this ?

does the 97-spec ITR sedan have the Brembos standard ?

tanghy
21-04-2004, 03:58 PM
need hubs + caliper + disc
need new rims too

Breeze
21-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Two ways,
1)

Replace front hubs (only the hub, press out) with ITR 5 stud hubs and accord/prelude/ITR 5 stud rotors. Calliper is the same.

Replace rear integral bearing hub with that off an 5 stud accord, ITR or prelude. Use rear disc off same (ITR/prelude/accord). Calliper is same.

2)
Replace the lot (ala tanghy) and sell the 4 X 114.3 setup with wheels to a civic owner

tanghy
21-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Two ways,
1)

Replace front hubs (only the hub, press out) with ITR 5 stud hubs and accord/prelude/ITR 5 stud rotors. Calliper is the same.

Replace rear integral bearing hub with that off an 5 stud accord, ITR or prelude. Use rear disc off same (ITR/prelude/accord). Calliper is same.

2)
Replace the lot (ala tanghy) and sell the 4 X 114.3 setup with wheels to a civic owner

the caliper is NOT the same
98 spec is bigger

skoota
21-04-2004, 05:05 PM
And Civics have a 4x100 pattern - not sure 100% about the new ones, so you probably can't sell your 4x114.3 setup

Breeze
22-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Thanks Tanghy-

If calliper is not the same just use the 98-00 Prelude/accord/crv front calliper which is the same as the later dc2 ITR calliper. If the rear callipers are not the same use the 01 civic/base integra rear callipers as they fit (with minor fiddling in terms of handbrake cable).

Skoota, Some people like the bigger brakes which came on the 114.3 ITR and the light weight wheels that were reserved specifically for the 96/97 ITR. The whole shebang is a swap over into the civic.

EDIT: I just remembered the 96-98 vtec 114.3 rotors bolt straight on with the prelude callipers (to the JDM 96/97 ITR setup). To upgrade the standard size 96/97 ITR brakes (which are pretty well the same size as Aus vtir) you just need to swap on the prelude bits which gives the same size as the 98+ITR. Sorry about the confusion.

I did the 5 stud swap on my civic and played around with a large variety of combinations and exchangability of parts. The only part that actually came off an ITR were the undressed rear trailing arms. I gota say some of the minor differences in honda parts give you the right sh#ts. I have subsequently worked out how to do the swap using the stock civic trailing arms. I gotta say buying a full swap is the best option though if you are not fitting it yourself due to lack of tools/space/ability.

Cheers