PDA

View Full Version : VTEC transistion comparison?

jsttgn
27-03-2006, 08:49 PM
My mate has just bought a 96 VTi-R teg. Now we warmed it up and hit vtec. As soon as it left 5500, the tacho went skitz on WOT. It seemed not smooth like other Vti-R but borderline as if it was closer to a type-R. Now, its certainly stock as a rock and i doubt it if there was any modifications internally.

I've seen many Type R's floor it and you see the rpms shoot when the cams kick in. But i don't understand y it would happen because in comparison to my car, which is a 94 Vti-R, mines alot smoother. I can certainly hear the exhaust go louder but not feel it as much. I got the usualy I/H/E

Can you tell me y his is like that in comparison to mine? ANd Please....don't tell me my vtec FELL oFF!!! LOL

tinkerbell
27-03-2006, 09:07 PM
can you perhaps rephrase your question?

bennjamin
27-03-2006, 09:34 PM
moved to the noob area for vaugeness.

Fr3aKi3
27-03-2006, 10:05 PM
I think what he is trying to ask is why is the vtec cross-over more apparent in his mate's stock vti-r compared to the one he owns (which has been modded I/H/E). Hence the comparison with a Type R's crossover point, from mild to wild.

One reason why your vtec crossover may seem to be more subtle is possibly due to the mods on your car, ie you've got more torque down low so it might just seem smoother.

or your vtec fell off :p

jsttgn
27-03-2006, 10:36 PM
yeah..thanks for that...i can sleep better knowing that i can say 'well, i got more torque on low rpms'....

Q_ball
27-03-2006, 11:22 PM
your vtec definately fell off :p

Zilli
28-03-2006, 08:05 AM
i think you should retrace the road where you were driving, maybe the vtecs on the side of the road somewhere hehe

seriously though, ive heard that a header in particular will smooth out the transition from low to high lobe...

could be wrong though

Dylanamus
28-03-2006, 09:12 AM
I have the same mods on my b16 CRX and there is nothing subtle about when VTEC engages. But then again, my mods have probably sacrificed a bit of torque for more high end power. You should still be able to notice the different sound even if its not really making any more power. Maybe lobe C on both your cams got worn down over time and is now of the same profile as A and B hahaha :)

T-onedc2
28-03-2006, 11:33 AM
I have the same mods on my b16 CRX and there is nothing subtle about when VTEC engages. But then again, my mods have probably sacrificed a bit of torque for more high end power. You should still be able to notice the different sound even if its not really making any more power. Maybe lobe C on both your cams got worn down over time and is now of the same profile as A and B hahaha :)
The transition to the big profile is more pronounced on the B16A as there is much less torque beforehand in comparison to the B18C, which is very smooth but can still be felt.;)

Super-DA9
18-01-2016, 01:56 PM
Transition*

RenzokukenJ
18-01-2016, 01:59 PM
I love a vtec transvestite

connorling
18-01-2016, 03:28 PM
might be ur mate's vtir duel intake manifold isn't working and stuck in the long runner set up.

I don't know.